What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One step at a time: the rest of the season unfolds here

DeeGan

Bench
07-gct1.jpg

One step at a time: the rest of the season unfolds here

We are back in the winner's circle after beating the South Sydney Rabbitohs is what was an average game. A win is a win and the improvement I was looking for evident in some areas of our game.

This thread is what I will be referring back too over the remaining rounds of the NRL season, I encourage like minder Gold Coast and/or NRL fans to join me.

Here is our draw:

CAPSLOCK indicates home game

R11 - RABBITOHS - Won 25-18
R12 - RAIDERS - Won 28-8
R13 - Bye
R14 - Tigers Won 16-14
R15 - KNIGHTS Won 28-22
R16 - WARRIORS - lost 6-22
R17 - Broncos
R18 - Raiders
R19 - BULLDOGS
R20 - Rabbitohs
R21 - TIGERS
R22 - Warriors
R23 - ROOSTERS
R25 - Sharks
R26 - Storm

The top two teams Manly and Melbourne are well ahead of the other fourteen teams, that will see us fighting for six spots to make up the final eight. Those final six spots will not be seperated by all too much which once again highlights the need to win our home games. We are four from five at home (incl. Suncorp win over Brisbane), if we can keep up our winning ways at home, a finals birth is likely.

The addition of Josh Lewis to our football team has paid divedends immediately.

Not to harp on it, Matt Hilder was not a five-eight and it took up until the 11th round for Carty to make the call to bring in another option. Hilder was a "link man" to the outside backs with the odd decent kick of two as the second option.

Scott Prince suffered with no Preston Campbell as he gave the opposition another player to keep an eye on. When he was lost, the defence would simply follow Prince as nine times out of ten he was going to be getting the ball.

Josh Lewis is a traditional five-eight. He is creative with the ball in hand and posesses are very good kicking game that has impressed our coaching staff.

Last night he set up our first try with a deft drubber, played his role in the Delaney try putting up a nice bomb and kicked a game sealing field goal to cap a very good debut.

The most important four positions (fullback, five-eight, halfback and hooker) look strong when we have Preston Campbell back after the bye - our run home is going to hinge on the performances of the men in these positions working off the tough stuff from our forwards.

It's Canberra next, a tough opponent who play a similar no frills type game.

DeeGan

Bench
r12-game6.jpg

Smith Samau is out of this week's game with a hamstring strain, Jake Webster though is back from injury. Brett Delaney is in doubt as well.

Likely line-up:

1 - Richie Mathers
2 - Matt Petersen
3 - Mat Rogers
4 - *Brett Delaney
5 - Jake Webster
6 - Josh Lewis
7 - Scott Prince (c)
8 - Luke Bailey (c)
9 - Nathan Friend
10 - Brad Meyers
11 - Anthony Laffranchi
12 - Mark Minichiello
13 - Luke Swain

14 - Matt Hilder
15 - Michael Hodgson
16 - Gavin Cooper
17 - James Stosic

* In doubt

If Brett is out, there are a few options available though it is likely Gavin Cooper would start in his place allowing Kris Kahler to come back in to the 17. Another obvious choice is recalling the Lelea Paea to the wing, moving Webster to the centres. Lelea Paea was disappointing in the early rounds, he may get another shot coming back from injury.

Being imaginative, I wouldn't mind seeing us call up Shannon Walker or Nathaniel Barnes to the wing moving Jake Webster to centre (as opposed to recalling Lelea Paea). Carty has proven to be conservative and wanting to stick with the main 20-22 guys (nothing wrong with that logic when looking for consistency either) so I think Cooper is the play.

DeeGan

Bench
curious said:
Im hearing O'Dwyer is back and ready to go, he would slot in there nicely

I know Luke is back this week, though you would think that he would come back through QLD Cup given the length of time he has been out of the game.

We won last week, we are sitting ok on the ladder comparitively - no need to rush him back.

DeeGan

Bench
Teams for Sunday:

r12-game6.jpg

GOLD COAST TITANS

1. Richie Mathers
2. Mat Petersen
3. Mat Rogers
4. * Brett Delaney
5. Jake Webster
6. Josh Lewis
7. Scott Prince ©
8. Luke Bailey ©
9. Nathan Friend
10. Brad Meyers
11. Anthony Laffranchi
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Luke Swain

Interchange
14. Kris Kahler
15. Michael Hodgson
16. Gavin Cooper
17. Mat Hilder

* Brett Delaney is still in doubt

CANBERRA RAIDERS

1. William Zillman
2. David Milne
3. Marshall Chalk
4. Adrian Purtell
5. Bronx Goodwin
6. Terry Campese
7. Michael Dobson
8. Scott Logan
9. Lincoln Withers
10. Dane Tilse
11. Neville Costigan
12. Glen Turner
13. Alan Tongue (C)

Interchange:
14. Josh Miller
15. Troy Thompson
16. Ben Jones
17. Michael Weyman
18. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
19. Ryan Hinchcliffe

DeeGan

Bench
This is going to be an even contest with the home ground advantage most likely seeing us start as narrow favourites with the bookies.

Brett Delaney I assure you is in doubt for this game still suffering the ill-effects from last weekend. James Stosic is out due to THAT cut under his chin so we are short a little for depth.

Will Gavin Cooper go to centre? That would be my preferred option though being short in the forwards with Stosic out will probably end that move.

The likely scenario may just be Jake Webster to the centres (Jake is not a centre) with Lelea Paea coming in to the side on the wing. This would be in line with the conservative selection policy we have adopted in our debut season.

DeeGan

Bench
Brett Delaney cleared to play - surprising after my Tueday conversation, but great news.

Titanic

First Grade
I agree Carty is conservative but that is reassuring considering the fragile state of the Club and the supporter base. Titans by 1 with no major injuries would be enough.

DeeGan

Bench
Titanic said:
I agree Carty is conservative but that is reassuring considering the fragile state of the Club and the supporter base. Titans by 1 with no major injuries would be enough.

Fragile state of the club?

Fragile state of the supporter base?

What are you smoking Titanic? :lol:

On and off the field we are strong - sure - we are eleventh on the ladder and ended a three game losing streak though we are 2pts out of the 8. Let's remember,3rd and 4th place are on 14pts - 4pts more than us.

With Preston coming back, Walker due back soon - the second half of the season with a bit of luck in the injury department should prove fruitful.

The strenght of the front office, well, I don't need to validate that.

The supporter base's devotion to the team has not wavered. Our healthy crowd average of 17,000 odd is testimony to that. The Gold Coast community is swept up in the romance of having their own team again - we will have a core of supporters similar to that of the Cowboys and Knights, that I am confident about.

DeeGan

Bench
Mat Rogers may be ruled out this morning with a virus.

If so, Cooper to centres, bring in a forward to the bench I would think.

DeeGan

Bench
Michael Hodgson injured in pre-game warm up, David Myles to the bench before game.

Brad Meyers has injured his knee, Kris Kahler is injured too at halftime.

Thoughts so far ...

The Canberra Raiders are being out-enthused. The Raiders poor ball control and discipline is not helping their cause - a diabolical performance so far from the 'Green Machine'.

Scott Prince is a magician. His game with a five-eight that can avert attention away from him (as Benji once did) in Lewis has lifted to another level. Mat Rogers only had to run in to the hole and beat a fullback with no confidence, Prince threw the money ball drawing in Campese who went for the decoy. His kicking game is top shelf today. Outside of Johnathan Thurston, there is no better halfback in the game.

Our forwards are muscling up, Bailey and Laffranchi as usual leading the charge.

Mat Rogers after a week ridden by a virus is inspirational today.

We look like completing the rest of the game with two players on the bench, we will need that 28 point lead as fatigue may play a part in the back end to the game.

The most pleasing aspect to the game is the fact we are mentally switched on, there is purpose in every facet of our play which was missing in our three match losing streak. This is a must win game, a four point turn around and the boys are stepping up to the plate.

This is a proud Gold Coast Titans fan today. Top eight here we come!

Let's finish this off, it would be most pleasing if we could produce our first "shut out" in our short history, that is what Carty will be looking for in the second half.

DeeGan

Bench
We win: 28-8 after leading 28-0 at half-time

Gold Coast Titans (28)
Tries: Matt Petersen (2), Jake Webster, Josh Lewis, Mat Rogers
Goals: Mat Rogers (4/5)

Canberra Raiders (8)
Tries: William Zillman, Ben Jones
Goals: Michael Dobson (0/2)

If there was a non Titan or Raider fan who sat through the full 80 minutes today, you deserve the NRL's version of a bravery award - pathetic second half from the Gold Coast Titans to go on top of the pathetic first half from Canberra.

We switched off after half-time - John Cartwright and the coaching staff will be most disappointed in what we dished out in the second half. We had the chance to put Canberra to the sword, we didn't. We instead plodded our way through the final 40 minutes. A very good side would have put 50 on Canberra, we showed we have plenty to work on to produce satisfactory 80 minutes.

The positive is we after the bye are on 14 points and in the top eight. The first half of the season has exceeded expectations of the "experts" online and in the media. Considering I think we dropped a game or two that I expected us to win (Roosters and Dragons), we are looking good for the last half of our debut season.

Our best? Luke Bailey - no surpise. Scott Prince was magnificent in the first half, the second half he was let down by the majority of the team.

Canberra fans can take solace in their teams attitude in the second half. Defensively they were superb. The big men in particular caught my eye and Dobson tried his heart out. I love watching a throw back big man play well, Michael Weyman when 100% fit will be awesome. He was good in patches.

We converted the "four point game" - congrats to Carty and the boys. Titans fans are smiling though still scratching their heads with the second half effort.

Coaster

Bench
I really think Kahler needs to go.

He was just woefull today, if he got injured maybe im overacting, but seeing him catch a ball with both feet planted firmly on the ground, not once but 3 times was beyond funny.

The guy is nothing more then a tackling bag, we really need 1 more aggressive front rower with stoic, and myers, and Bailey

DeeGan

Bench
curious said:
I really think Kahler needs to go.

He was just woefull today, if he got injured maybe im overacting, but seeing him catch a ball with both feet planted firmly on the ground, not once but 3 times was beyond funny.

The guy is nothing more then a tackling bag, we really need 1 more aggressive front rower with stoic, and myers, and Bailey

Kahler started the season well though I agree, he has regressed and lived up to the criticism from some Raider fans here. I cannot recall his contract length though if it is a one year deal, I don't think we will look to pick him up for another season. I think we are best looking for some size up front in the form of another prop.

Over the next week I am going to spend some time looking at players off contract with us but also with other teams as well.

Coaster

Bench
I would love to know Ben Hannett contract details from the Broncos

He is big , strong, and fit, and great front rower, and also a Gold Coast boy.

Eelectrica

Referee
I haven't seen the article, but apparently the Titans have all but signed Cannings for next season. He's starting to hit form after having injury problems for much of his stay with Parra.
If it happens Cannings and Bailey could make a very potent prop combination.

Coaster

Bench
Looking at the stats.

Kahler who needed to step up, after Myers getting injured, and Hodgeson pulling out before the game.

Second half, he made 5 meters:shock:
For a game total of 45 meters

I think someone was being kind to him, becuase i sure didnt see him make those 5 meters

DeeGan

Bench
Aaron Cannings is a start. 187cm, 107-108kg - a big bopper that adds some nice size. I can't say I have paid a lot of attention to his 2007 season, I will however start too ;-)

Latest posts