What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ongoing NFL Fantasy Football Thread

hellteam

First Grade
Dunno if there was a thread like this, but I LOVE fantasy football so thought I would start one.

So who do you reckon will be fantasy MVP this year? Got anyone in your team who could be the sleeper of the year?

I've got Jerome Harrison, hoping he makes the most of Hardesty's injury and starts the year like he did finished last year.

I also started this thread so I could get possible advice on trades down the track haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Monk

Referee
Stat Predictions:
- Aaron Rodgers will be this years fantasy MVP
- CJ will probably get 2000 YFS, but he won't crack the 2000 yards rushing.
- Ray Rice will become the first player (i think) to get both 1000 Rushing yards and 1000 Receiving yards in the same season.

Studs:
- Love Cedric Benson
- Love Jermichael Finley
- LOVE Calvin Johnson (although thats mostly coz im a huge Stafford fan)
- Love Steve Smith (NYG) and Greg Jennings

Busts:
- Dont like LeSean McCoy
- Dont like Vernon Davis
- Dont like Ocho

Sleepers:
- Johnny Knox
- Mike Wallace
- Tim Hightower

Stonecutter

First Grade
Sleepers: Malcom Floyd
Carnell Williams (Not shareing many carries, looked promising last year)

Big Mick

Referee
Sleeper RB:
* CJ Spiller - Think he'll end up feature back soon enough
* Kareen Huggins - 3rd down back for Tampa now.
* Leon Washington - With Julius Jones released, Washington will get heaps of looks at Seahawks
* Matt Forte - I think he'll get back to his great form from 08'.
* Bernard Scott - With Benson having a high workload last year, I think he may get banged up meaning Scott who is extremely talented will have great lines to run through with Cincy's new passing attack.

Sleeper WR:
* Malcolm Floyd & Lagadu Nannee - Both look to benefit most from Vincent Jackson not being there.
* Johnny Knox - Cutlers go-to guy in a Martz offense. Lots of long bombs
* Victor Cruz - Something about that kids pre-season just screams "GIVE ME THE BALL AND I'LL MAKE THE PLAY"
* Mike Wallace - With Holmes gone, Wallace steps into #2 spot at Steelers and will be a prime target as downfield threat.
* Dexter McCluster - With Urban on IR, McCluster is now #1 slot receiver for KC. With their line in tatters, look for Cassell to find both Charles and McCluster on the check down.
* Mike Williams TB - A star rookie who has outplayed other rookie Benn & 2nd year WR Straughter.
* Mike Williams SEA - A rejuvenated player under college coach Pete Carroll. Has burst, speed, size and outplayed everyone enough to give Hawks' confidence to drop Housh.
* Darius Heyward-Bey - From all reports has looked fantastic at practice unlike last year. He has caught balls in pre-season unlike last year. I can see the Oakland offense gaining more trust in him. Maybe not this year for DHB.
* Eddie Royal - After a horror 09' campaign, the 3rd year receiver imo is set to break out again. He is more comfortable in the slot and will see plenty of looks this season. PPR pick only however.
* Brandon Tate NE - Really rate this kid. Will start likely opposite Randy Moss and with Moss getting double coverage and coverage moving to the TE's and Wes Welker, Tate has the opportunity to be the biggest beneficiary.

Sleeper TE:
*Aaron Hernandez & Rob Gronkowski - If Pre-season is anything to go by, these guys will get plenty of looks
* Chris Cooley - McNabb loves athletic tight ends and with Washington set to play majority two TE sets there wont be that much risk of Davis taking time away from Cooley, but can see Davis taking TD's away. Standard league - Davis, PPR - Cooley
* Jermaine Gresham - With Bryant now out of Cincy, Gresham has been a redzone target in pre-season and looked great so far, sparking that athletic ability that made him a 1st round pick this year. He'll get plenty of looks as an athletic mismatch in single coverage as most bodies move towards Batman and Robin. Shipley also a candidate out of the slot.
* Jimmy Graham - A super athletic TE that NO picked up in the 3rd round I think. With Shockey's tendancy to be injured more often than not and David Thomas being nothing more than solid, look for Payton at some stage to take advantage of Graham's mismatch ability. A bye week match up at best this season, but if he gets an opportunity...wow.

That's all I can think off for now. Hope it helps

hellteam

First Grade
Thanks guys, I also reckon Finley is set for a big one. Really really hope that Forte steps up this year, would be a massive boost for me.

Not so sold on Steve Smith (NYG) though. Not 100% sure why, probably cause I'm not in a PPR league and I think Nicks has a chance to be better then him this year..

I'm also not sold on Vernon Davis. Unfortunately, I have him, and want Antonio Gates.

Here's my team...

QB - Manning
RB1 - Rice
RB2 - Forte
RB/WR - Jonathon Stewart
WR1 - Austin
WR2 - Steve Smith (NYG)
TE - Davis
D/ST - 49ers
K - Akers

R - Jerome Harrison
R - E. Manning
R - H. Nicks
R - P. Garcon
R - D. Bryant
R - Sproles
R - Donald Brown
IR* - Vincent Jackson

I've been offered a trade.... Vernon Davis and Jerome Harrison <--> Antonio Gates.

Reckon it's worth it? Sometimes I need to be talked into things haha..

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
I wouldn't.

Purely for the fact with Hardesty's injury Harrison is the lone back there that will get 80% of carries.

Your RB depth after that isn't very good & relying on injuries to Matthews and Addai to be anything significant fantasy wise.

Vernon Davis is a stud. Not sure why you don't rate him. He was the top ranked TE last year I think...he is a beast. He'll get 70+ receptions this year and same amount of TD's...maybe even more.

I wouldn't do that trade.

Cupid Stunt

Sleeper TE:
*Aaron Hernandez & Rob Gronkowski - If Pre-season is anything to go by, these guys will get plenty of looks

When your considered the second best TE in your draft year I'm not sure sleeper is a fair tag. In saying that I loved watching this guy (no homo) through college. But for how injury prone he is I have a really bad feeling he will be somewhat fragile now he is playing with the big boys. That will either mean he sits out on the IR for long stretches OR, & worst still in my opinion, he alters his game to protect himself. But if he comes good physically and mentally he will be a beast!

hellteam

First Grade
I wouldn't.

Purely for the fact with Hardesty's injury Harrison is the lone back there that will get 80% of carries.

Your RB depth after that isn't very good & relying on injuries to Matthews and Addai to be anything significant fantasy wise.

Vernon Davis is a stud. Not sure why you don't rate him. He was the top ranked TE last year I think...he is a beast. He'll get 70+ receptions this year and same amount of TD's...maybe even more.

I wouldn't do that trade.

Yeah I said no at the time. I guess I just wanted Gates, but Vernon Davis will be better then the majority of tight ends.

What site do you guys play on? Just downloaded an awesome ESPN Fantasy Football app for my phone the other day

Raider_69

Post Whore
wouldn't touch that trade. Sure gates is better but davis will be a top 3 te this year, your hardly struggling at the position. I'd counter with one of your lesser running backs. Maybe sproles and see if he bites.
I like most of the guys mick has as sleepers.
I think ahmed bradshaw is a top sleeper this year, jeremy maclin too. I like Eli as a late quarterback sleeper too. And i really like H.Nicks at wide out. Shaincoe will be solid again now since Rice is out.
I love matthews, greene and spiller for young running backs that will have good years. Dexter McCluster is going to have a great rookie year too.
I think despite pre season issues Kolb will have a good year. And i think Eric Decker will be a hot name off the waiver wire

My mvp's are going to be Turner who is healthy again, and they are reported to be trying to work him more into the pass game. Big year from him i think. And Rivers, i've seen him come off the boards as low as 7th quarterback taken. He's top 5, with or without V-jax. Awesome fantasy quarter back and i still think he's 4th behind rodgers, p.manning and brees

Big Mick

Referee
When your considered the second best TE in your draft year I'm not sure sleeper is a fair tag. In saying that I loved watching this guy (no homo) through college. But for how injury prone he is I have a really bad feeling he will be somewhat fragile now he is playing with the big boys. That will either mean he sits out on the IR for long stretches OR, & worst still in my opinion, he alters his game to protect himself. But if he comes good physically and mentally he will be a beast!

I'm 100% sure the sleeper tag is a fair tag, for 2 BIG reasons.

1 - When was the last time a ROOKIE TE had any fantasy relevance?
2 - How many times did the Pat's throw to their TE last season?

Answer for 1 is that Mike Ditka was the last relevant rookie TE that made any sort of fantasy impact and 2 not many!.

So he may be the 2nd best TE in the draft...but doesn't mean he'll automatically produce fantasy wise.

And for that purpose he is a sleeper. Of course but...where is he being drafted among ALL NFL TE's? he isn't top 15 I'm pretty sure. Hence why he is a sleeper :D

abpanther

Staff member
I was thinking of having a thread like this or maybe a weekly one for people looking for advice as to who they should start, you know when your deliberating over 2 or 3 players for a flex spot or something like that. What ya'll reckon??

abpanther

Staff member
Okay then I'll sticky it.

I'll kick it off, make sure you state the match up and also any important scoring differences to standard leagues. Also make sure you contribute and give feedback if you expect feedback in return.

Opinions on the following (bold is who I am leaning towards):

League 1 (non- PPR) - Pick 2
Moreno @ JAC
Addai @ HOU
Forte v DET

League 2 (PPR) - Pick 1
Nicks v CAR
S.Smith @ NYG
Floyd @ KC

League 3 (PPR) - Pick 1
R.Williams @ BUF
Crabtree @ SEA

Thanks

Raider_69

Post Whore
moreno is still banged up a bit and has seen limited time in camp, so i like the other two for you in league 1.
I think Floyd is a must start in week 1 in all leagues and i don't like the seahawks secondary or their pass rush so i like crabtree in your 3rd league.

Big Mick

Referee
Okay then I'll sticky it.

I'll kick it off, make sure you state the match up and also any important scoring differences to standard leagues. Also make sure you contribute and give feedback if you expect feedback in return.

Opinions on the following (bold is who I am leaning towards):

League 1 (non- PPR) - Pick 2
Moreno @ JAC
Addai @ HOU
Forte v DET

League 2 (PPR) - Pick 1
Nicks v CAR
S.Smith @ NYG
Floyd @ KC

League 3 (PPR) - Pick 1
R.Williams @ BUF
Crabtree @ SEA

Thanks

League 1 - Go Forte and Moreno imo. Addai will share time with Brown and Houston will be scoring points meaning that Peyton will just pretty much be passing.

League 2 - Eli has a terrible record against Carolina so scrap Nicks. I don't like Moore against a rejuvenated Defense, so scrap Smith. To me that Floyd match up against quite an average defense will be fantastic. Floyd all the way.

League 3 - I'm thinking Ricky vs Buffalo. Buffalo despite the transition to 3-4 still looked suspect against the run in Pre-Season. They ranked 32nd against the run last year...can't see it changing soon. I also think they'll run the ball heaps to grind out the game in what is expected to be cloudy/rainy weather in Buffalo.

hellteam

First Grade
Alright, got a decision to make this weekend at running back.

I've got two running back places and a flex to fit, and I have these four players..

Ray Rice vs Jets
Matt Forte vs Lions
Jonathon Stewart vs Giants
Jerome Harrison vs Bucs

Ray Rice has the toughest match-up there, but he is also easily my best RB. The other three have easier match ups, Stewart rushed for 206 yds vs Giants last game (although no DeAngelo Williams), and Harrison probably has one of his best chances for a big game all year... same as Matt Forte. So, who to start?

Thanks

abpanther

Staff member
Alright, got a decision to make this weekend at running back.

I've got two running back places and a flex to fit, and I have these four players..

Ray Rice vs Jets
Matt Forte vs Lions
Jonathon Stewart vs Giants
Jerome Harrison vs Bucs

Ray Rice has the toughest match-up there, but he is also easily my best RB. The other three have easier match ups, Stewart rushed for 206 yds vs Giants last game (although no DeAngelo Williams), and Harrison probably has one of his best chances for a big game all year... same as Matt Forte. So, who to start?

Thanks

My bolded choices above, Rice and Stewart are no brainers IMO, I think Forte will have a nice bounce back season and starting off against the Lions is the perfect recipe. Harrison may also do well but best to wait and see how he performs, he may lose carries to Hillis and Davis if he doesn't perform well

Big Mick

Referee
No way I would take Stewart over Harrison.

Stewart hasn't played at ALL in Pre-season...we don't even know how bad that achillies is.

Harrison fo sure against a suspect Buc's team which is poor against the run.

Latest posts