What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only 44 Years Ago - Who'd da thunk it.

Quigs

Immortal
Got a big surprise in the mail today..... a 44 year old Queensland - NSW program. August the 4th 1973.

This little gem was on page six.

Seems like only yesterday ... Kevvie with the shovel. A few problems with mongrel banks. A Superleague war. Buckets on the railway steps. The Good Doctor, his wife and the pink helicopters. We had it all and then in October 2016 we all climbed the mountain. The Grail was ours.

Psssts a bit of advice. Don't think about buying one of those club badges advertised at the bottom of the page. I have the good oil that that mob will go arse up and be forced into a merger by the Rugby League.

(That's Poppa with the glasses in the background by the way)
development-00-1973.jpg

taipan

Referee
In wonder if Humphries found my old mechano set I hoiked in that tip, eons a go.Probably holding up the ET stand still.

Quigs

Immortal
My old man was a Garbo in the Shire for 30 plus years covering those times Taip. He used to bring home heaps of stuff for us. Meccano sets, (the metal ones not the poofy plastic ones of today) train set parts, and heaps of bikes and lawnmowers. Corrrr could I tell youse some stories about those days.

Supplied all the kids in the street with pram wheels for the billycarts.

But thanks for the meccano.

Then they moved the tip up to Menai. Even a bigger selection of goods to be brought home. My dear mum, bless her. She was always fighting a losing battle to stop the old man bringing crap home.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
My old man was a Garbo in the Shire for 30 plus years covering those times Taip. He used to bring home heaps of stuff for us. Meccano sets, (the metal ones not the poofy plastic ones of today) train set parts, and heaps of bikes and lawnmowers. Corrrr could I tell youse some stories about those days.

Supplied all the kids in the street with pram wheels for the billycarts.

But thanks for the meccano.

Then they moved the tip up to Menai. Even a bigger selection of goods to be brought home. My dear mum, bless her. She was always fighting a losing battle to stop the old man bringing crap home.

Nah the ridgy didgy metal ones.
Bloody hell I'm a charity and didn't realise it.
Pram wheels!!! A lot of pregnancies in the Shire then.Post war bedroom activities making up for lost time.

Liberate Souths

Juniors
Sounds like It was a lot more fun than now back in the day.

I guess I should be arrested for this post by the fun police.

But back in the day, the streets of Sutho were lined with beautiful and smart nurses and primary school teachers and you could like your pick.

You could park there for hours and not get tear gassed or water boarded as you do today.

I wonder if they had that geniused road over the station but.

I'll be driving over it next week I think. Just visiting.

Last edited:

Latest posts