What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Only the board can save us now

yes, another thread.

Starting this so it gets maximum exposure.

It's clear to me after hearing about last nights members forum that the club is going in the wrong direction, and that includes Phil Gould.

I would suggest to everyone that there is no point contacting the club with your concerns.

Instead you must contact the board if you want anything done. Probably still a long shot but better than having your questions ripped up by Gould.

Gus & Griffin both must go.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I don't think the Board would get rid of Gould - They might put the foot down on the Coach, and getting him out of the club, but I really doubt they'd let Gould go - He has too much of a profile to just sack.

TheFrog

Coach
Clearly the questions were not to Gould's liking. But really, when a team that was expected to do well is doing this badly, what did they expect? These are the football club's members.

It seems it was a serious mistake to even run this exercise. It'll be interesting to see how many fans turn up to support the team this weekend.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Clearly the questions were not to Gould's liking. But really, when a team that was expected to do well is doing this badly, what did they expect? These are the football club's members.

It seems it was a serious mistake to even run this exercise. It'll be interesting to see how many fans turn up to support the team this weekend.

Exactly - Surely he knew when this was set up, there'd be questions in there that were about somewhat sensitive topics, inflaming if you will - But to just tear them up, in front of the members who probably submitted them, is just downright rude and insulting.

Pomoz

Bench
yes, another thread.

Starting this so it gets maximum exposure.

It's clear to me after hearing about last nights members forum that the club is going in the wrong direction, and that includes Phil Gould.

I would suggest to everyone that there is no point contacting the club with your concerns.

Instead you must contact the board if you want anything done. Probably still a long shot but better than having your questions ripped up by Gould.

Gus & Griffin both must go.
I wasn't at the meeting so I don't know why you are saying this. How do you justify saying the club is going in the wrong direction because it is having a bad year in first grade? Maybe we need a new coach, but the whole club is heading off a cliff? Don't just write that without saying why. If you want to say its the wrong direction, you should also say what is the right direction.

We are having a bad season but this is such an over reaction. Unless of course there was some ground breaking news last night that changes everything.

betcats

Referee
We are having a bad season but this is such an over reaction. Unless of course there was some ground breaking news last night that changes everything.

We are performing well below expectations and being offered excuses instead of accountability. Both our player development and team performances are going backwards, we have handed the keys to our club to a coach who has never achieved anything of note as an NRL head coach and as our season goes down the drain the club is looking at extending him. Why wasn't Cleary allowed these same excuses? He has a much better coaching record than Griffin and Gould dropped him like a bad smell and hired his mate without even doing due diligence and looking for the best candidate. That is not how successful organisations are run. The club set up a forum to provide some answers to its members and gave nothing but excuses once again. Its pathetic and the pressure should be on Gould and Griffin. You cant just go out and hire your mate who has a mediocre at best record at this level and then refuse to hold him accountable for piss poor performance, jobs for the boys indeed.

Hawkins

Juniors
But on Gould's podcast the report is that everything is going according to plan.

Could, could his podcast be wrong?

I wasn't at the meeting so I don't know why you are saying this. How do you justify saying the club is going in the wrong direction because it is having a bad year in first grade? Maybe we need a new coach, but the whole club is heading off a cliff? Don't just write that without saying why. If you want to say its the wrong direction, you should also say what is the right direction.

I've said why in numerous other posts on this forum.

And no, it's not just because we're 2 wins from 9.

And I've never used the words "off the cliff"

Gus has done some great stuff for the club, but it's clear to me that many of his recent decisions are to be found wanting.

Which ones?

I'd go back to his decision to recruit Jamal idris. Someone who Gus was well known for having a ridiculously high expectation of. Always going on about him on ch9 commentary. A monumental waste of money & time.

His decision to sack Cleary after the worst season for injuries in our clubs history. In fact I've seen the data that it was the worst season for injuries of any club in the last 15 years or so.

His decision to appoint a coach with an extremely average record. In fact you could argue it was below average given the club he coached. More so Griffin is repeating the same errors he made at the Broncos. Go speak to broncos fans, he's doing the exact same stuff.

The selections of players out of position are particularly galling.

The signing of Peta Hiku. It reaked of desperation at the time & has hurt the development of our own players. In fact I'd say we lost some cheap talent who could've equalled his output.

The signing of Tamou. Props just aren't worth big dollars, there's heaps of props out there who can deliver the equivalent for much less.

The re-signing of Dean Whare to a 5 year contract! Who re-signs a guy coming off two serious leg injuries to 5 years before he's even proved he can regain his form?!

EDIT: thanks to @billypilgrimnz for reminding me

The worst decision of them all, the appointment of Corey Payne as CEO. A 30yo with no football admin experience. That went well, didn't it?!

Last edited:

darkbloom

Juniors
He can't be fired, he is not an employee. His consultancy services can be terminated. The Group CEO Brian Fletcher should have the authority to do that.

But all the authority in the organisation lies with with this consultant.

Corey Payne wasn't the worst appointment - he did not do nearly as much damage as Warren Wilson.

He can't be fired, he is not an employee. His consultancy services can be terminated. The Group CEO Brian Fletcher should have the authority to do that.

But all the authority in the organisation lies with with this consultant.

Corey Payne wasn't the worst appointment - he did not do nearly as much damage as Warren Wilson.

Corey Payne may not have done huge damage, but it was still a poor appointment.

Was Wilson appointed by Gus?

Nealo 12

Bench
The moving on of some of our senior players who later went on to excel at other clubs is another one !

darkbloom

Juniors
Wilson was appointed under Gus strong recommendation. He was appointed by the Chairman of the Board - Don Feltis - probably with the Board's approval but without a single probity, background or reference check being done.

Not dissimilar to Payne.

Strictly or technically, speaking, Gus cannot hire employees, he is not an employee himself.

Wilson was appointed under Gus strong recommendation. He was appointed by the Chairman of the Board - Don Feltis - probably with the Board's approval but without a single probity, background or reference check being done.

Not dissimilar to Payne.

Strictly or technically, speaking, Gus cannot hire employees, he is not an employee himself.

Yes technicalities aside we all know who calls the shots.

However I thought Wilson had done a fairly decent job? What in particular did he damage?