What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

opinions on team of the year thus far?

i did a progressive toty last year every few weeks but havent watched hardly any this year...just wanting people's thoughts

and also wondering who is a player to look out for from each team

Big Pete

Referee
I can answer the latter.

Kurt Baptiste is head and shoulders the Broncos best player. He really should be playing ahead of Hunt or at the very least playing Q Cup but I don't think the Broncos see any future in him which is a huge shame for our club. For mine, I don't think there's a better hooker in the comp.

Other players to watch for...

Lachlan Maranta - Finally got a chance to play his natural position and he's been very strong for the Broncos turning half gaps into 4 pointers and playing his role as the third man in set moves. Currently out injured but with Gagai there we'll be fine.

Matt Smith - Good honest toiler from Wynnum who puts in the hard yards in attack and defence.

Anthony Mullally - Our English import from Widnes he's been an absolute monster off the bench breaking tackles and bending the line backwards.

Mitchell Frei - Classy player who puts in a lot of work in defence and is starting to run some really good lines.

There are a few others but these have been the stand outs to me.

richies

Juniors
havn't seen a great deal of nyc
but so far I would suggest

11 tyson frizell - sharks
13 tyrone peachey - sharks / ethan cook - knight's
3/4 tim lafai -dogs

bench
11/13 lachlan burr - dogs

anyone got knowledge on quality wingers
I like the bloke from the w tigers fuicane or similar but he went upto nsw and must be injured or something

JB

Juniors
3.Konrad Hurrell should be the 1 definite from the Warriors.

1.Slaimankhel and 12.Ben Henry will be pressing hard for a spot.

Also Taukeiaho and Havili from the bench have been 2 of the Warriors best this year.

slammingsam

Juniors
Adrian Ha'angana would have the 13 spot sewn up along with Roberts in the 1 despite the fact he has since moved up to NRL.

tezzah

Juniors
Kenny Bromwich (Storm Thunderbolts) is outstanding in the loose forward position. Doubt there would be many other loose forwards with stats that could match his in 2011.

Mahe Fonua (Storm Thunderbolts) is another outstanding centre would be in top contention for a centre spot. He surely must be amongst the top try scorers for the entire competition.

Konrad Hurrell (Junior Warriors) would star for top tackle breaks. He's a beast and a half at NYC level. Although a noted top try scorer I am unsure how many he would have jotted down?

Omar Slaimankhel (Junior Warriors) is another top try scorer.

Last edited:
Tigers have some great talent. For mine for team of the year so far, the following players would be close:

6. Curtis Sironen: strong runner, offloads very well, good passing game, strong defence, very good short kicking game.
7. Jacob Miller: best young halfback I have seen for a while also a very good goal kicker
10. Matt Groat: strong runner and very good defender
11. Ben Murdoch-Masila: is unstopabale when running deep and out wide. Is already too good for NYC in my opinion.

The Tigers also have some other very good players including:

James Tedesco
Marika Koroibete
David Nofoaluma
Neil Begovich
Pat Politoni

MatthewA

Juniors
You'd have to mark down Dale Finucane from the Bulldogs.

Plays prop or second row. Just last week against the Sharks he played the full 80 at prop, made 23 runs for 283m, 1 try assist, 9 tackle busts, 34 tackles, 1 offload and 2 line breaks and that's not a one off.

Round 13 vs Manly he scored a try, made 19 runs for 226m, 6 tackle busts, 21 tackles, 1 offload, 1 line break
Round 12 vs Titans he made 19 runs, 155m, 31 tackles, 1 tackle bust, 3 offloads.

You get the point. Great player, great forward leader.

Didgi

Big Pete What about Jerome Leedy and one of your props, name escapes me.

1. Roberts/Tedesco/Slaimankel/Barba
2. Pat Mata'utai (Knights)
3. Konrad Hurrell (Warriors)
4. Tim Lafai (Dogs)
5. Stewart Mills (Sharks)
6. Michael Parker-Walshe (Cowboys)
7. Sam Williams (Raiders)
8. Dale Finucane (Bulldogs)
9. Kurt Baptiste (Broncos)
10. Matthew Groat (Tigers)
11. Jason Taumalolo (Cowboys)
12. Tyrone Peachey (Sharks)
13. Lenny Bromwich (Storm)
14. Knights hooker...mental blank
15. Lachlan Burr (Dogs lock/SR)
16. Chris Grevsmuhl/Anthony Gadd (Both Cowboys props, perhaps I'm being a little biased)
17. Jack Wighton (utility back, Raiders)

Hon. Mentions to pretty much every NYC fullback, DJ Collier (Warriors wing), Tautau Moga (Roosters centre), most NYC halfbacks, Jake Finn (Dogs prop), Ben Henry (Warriors SR) Mitch Frei (Broncs second row), Frizell (Shorks SR)

Opinions?

MacDougall

First Grade
Tedesco has played 2 starting games and 4 in total. Curtis Sironen has been epic. Begovich has also been better than Groat imo.

Big Pete

Referee
Big Pete What about Jerome Leedy and one of your props, name escapes me.

Jerome Leedy - Still very raw and gives away a fair bit in height but was showing promise with each game. It's a shame he got injured when he did, he really looked in fine touch against the Raiders until he hobbled off.

I imagine you're referring to Stephen Commbe, the Under 18's rep who's played a number of games for the NYC side off the bench? He's stepped up nicely. Needs to work on his grip and his frame some more but he's played well considering.

shasha

Juniors
1. Omar Slaimankhel/Marmin Barba/Sean Loxley
2. Dane Gagai
3. Konrad Hurrel
4. Tim Lafai
5. Stewart Mills
6. Chad Townsend/Sam Williams(May have had played to much first grade)
7. Jacob Miller/Ben Hampton(Would of been good chance before injury)
8. Neil Begovich
9. Matt Srama
10. Dale Finucane
11. Alex McKinnon
12. Jason Taumalolo
13. Kenneath Bromwich

14. Ethan Cook
15. Lachlan Burr
16. Tyson Frizell
17. Josh Jackson/Adrian Haangana

I think their would be a few more, but these players would be way ahead of most players in stats and performance

footynut1

Juniors
Tigers have some great talent. For mine for team of the year so far, the following players would be close:

6. Curtis Sironen: strong runner, offloads very well, good passing game, strong defence, very good short kicking game.
7. Jacob Miller: best young halfback I have seen for a while also a very good goal kicker
10. Matt Groat: strong runner and very good defender
11. Ben Murdoch-Masila: is unstopabale when running deep and out wide. Is already too good for NYC in my opinion.

The Tigers also have some other very good players including:

James Tedesco
Marika Koroibete
David Nofoaluma
Neil Begovich
Pat Politoni

mpw v sirenon
mpw 3rd on top try scorers list, 3rd try assist, top ten in tackle saves, most try saves.. 3rd yr nyc very unlucky not to get a first grade start but is expected this yr...qld u18, junior kiwi squad but was unavailable, 3rd quickest over 40m at cowboys (includes nrl squad)

sirenon is a very good player but mpw should have the 6 wrapped up this yr imo.

Didgi

footynut, where did you get those stats from? NRLstats.com?

Agree MPW should be the 6.

Latest posts