What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

organised crime and juice of the elephant pt V

AJB1102

First Grade
hahaha
yeah, when I saw the press conference I was in Adelaide catching up with some contiki friends.
I said "this is the kind of bullshit my team would be involved with, you watch"

haha my best mate and also Sharks nut said to me "you watch, it'll be us" I laughed and said "the way we been playing if we're doping we deserve a refund, no way its us!"

Ahh.. good times.

gUt

Coach
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-...upplement-investigation/8299430?section=sport

Essendon doping scandal: Gillon McLachlan denies misleading club during AFL supplements investigation

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan says the league never misled Essendon over the doping scandal, as a recording emerges of angry senior Bombers officials accusing AFL of lying to them.

The Herald Sun published the tape of a 2013 meeting involving coach James Hird, chairman Paul Little, assistant coach Mark Thompson and football manager Danny Corcoran discussing the situation and their legal options.

All four are no longer at the club.

The club had at that stage been accused of administering banned supplements to the players during the 2012 season, under a program lead by now-disgraced sports scientist Stephen Dank.

When discussing the AFL's position, Little told the group "In last few days ... they've absolutely said one thing and done the opposite".

"Two days ago I was told that wasn't happening without being given an opportunity to sit down and negotiate ... and clearly that's not going to happen," he said.

Hird replied "They're a pack of f**king lying pricks, and they have done from the start."

This morning McLachlan told SEN Radio he had not listened to the recording, but denied he had misled the club.

"In terms of actually being called someone who lies, well the day that I lie to someone is the day I can't do my job," he said.

"I feel entirely comfortable. The offer given with Paul at the start was exactly the same to where we ended up at the end."

Little said AFL 'had gone back on its word'
Earlier in the meeting Hird can be heard saying the AFL had earlier that week talked about the players being cleared.

"They're now going back on that, obviously?" he asked.

Little said he had spoken to McLachlan, who was then deputy to Andrew Demetriou, about getting the players cleared "unconditionally" but accused McLachlan of "going back on his word".

When relaying the story to the three others in the room, Little said McLachlan had denied it and questioned what it was the chairman wanted him to do.

McLachlan said he never gave the club any guarantees.

"Our view at the time was that the players wouldn't be charged, there was substance to that in the document from ASADA to us, which actually says there wasn't enough evidence at the time," he said.

"[But] I think it was clear there wasn't any certainty about that. It was known and explicit that the investigation was ongoing."

He said the three years was a "tumultuous" time for all involved but defended the AFL's stance.

"I think in the end the AFL's action and decisiveness ended up being justified but you don't walk away from the fact it was an incredible difficult time," he said.

Someone needed to be held accountable: McLachlan

After the recorded meeting, the AFL later charged the club, Hird, Thompson and Corcoran and doctor Bruce Reid with bringing the game into disrepute but the players were cleared of wrongdoing.

The Bombers were fined $2 million, kicked out of the 2013 finals series, stripped of draft picks and Hird was suspended for 12 months.

But the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) challenged the decision to clear the players and last year 34 of the players involved were also suspended for 12 months.

McLachlan today said he did not believe any of those in the tape had been mistreated but understood if others felt they had.

"We still don't know what they were given, and in the end there has to be accountability for that."

When asked about the legality of the ASADA report by Thompson during the meeting, Little said he doubted it would stand up in court.

Little said Hird's determination to fight the accusations was admirable, but believed a deal would have to be made with authorities at some point.

"If there's a deal to be cut to get all of this behind us and get on with our lives, as much as we hate it and we detest it and we believe we've been wronged and everything else, you as individuals and the club as a whole need to decide if that's what they want to do".

some11

Referee
https://books.slatterymedia.com/

I thought it was a Betoota headline.

oe09zsR.gif

Jetka100

Juniors
The most interesting thing about these stories is about how some of the so called AFL journalists like Caroline Wilson are literally just mouthpieces for Gil and Vlad. All sports have them but nothing like the Victorian media.

Pig Champion

Juniors
haha my best mate and also Sharks nut said to me "you watch, it'll be us" I laughed and said "the way we been playing if we're doping we deserve a refund, no way its us!"

Ahh.. good times.
Yeah I knew it would be us, it felt inevitable, dark days.

Pig Champion

Juniors
I think the AFL thought they had a deal cut to clear their players but their powers of invincibility vanished.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...m/news-story/11c64cf34402f779de8f6fd2bd49e45e

Cronulla Sharks reach settlement with 13 players over club’s 2011 supplements program

MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

CRONULLA’S seven-year drug saga is officially over after more than half of the club’s 2011 playing squad successfully reaching a more than $1 million settlement with the club.

Two years of ongoing courtroom battles has ended with the Daily Telegraph now able to reveal that 13 players from Cronulla’s 25-man squad had reached a confidential settlement with the club. However, while neither party would confirm the figure, it is understood that the payout was about $1.2 million with the reparation different for each player. One player received as much as $300,000 while others received about between $10,000 to $50,000.

It has been learnt that the payout was covered by Cronulla’s insurance company with the club only needing to foot the about $100,000 spent on legal fees.

A string of high profile players including Anthony Tupou and Ben Pomeroy were joined by Albert Kelly, Scott Porter Dean Collis, Broderick Wright, Josh Cordoba, Isaac Gordon, Paul Aiton, Nathan Gardner, Stewart Mills, Nathan Stapleton and Stuart Flanagan in taking action against the club. Legal proceedings commenced as far back as 2016 with Gordon, Wright and Cordoba leading the charge before a string of other players joined them in seeking compensation. The latest was Porter in June while Gardner, Tupou and Kelly were among 10 players to accept an ASADA deal and given a back dated 12-month ban in 2014.

Players sued for negligence, breach of contract and intentional tort during a period in 2011 when sports scientist Stephen Dank ran a supplements program at Cronulla. Gordon claimed he had suffered severe bruising, leading to tests for cancer as a result of the possible side effects he experienced.

All players were represented by Shine Lawyers.

Shine Lawyers NSW general manager James Chrara, said some players had struggled since the ASADA investigation became public.

“This has been a difficult period that has impacted and in some instances halted the lives of these players and their families since the revelations of the ASADA saga surfaced,” Chrara said. “The resolutions reached were fair and equitable and will provide relief to the players, who have undergone considerable stress and reputational loss as the NRL scandal played out.

“The players and their families can now breathe a sigh of relief as they put this saga behind them.

“The new Sharks administration have been cooperative in working with us to deliver the best possible outcome for all parties involved. The players have demonstrated great strength of character throughout the legal process and have been supported throughout by their dedicated families.

“The resolutions achieved will bring an end to this chapter and will allow all parties to move forward with their lives.“

None of the players who took legal action against the club remain, with the only current Sharks from the 2011 squad being Paul Gallen and Wade Graham.

The Sharks also reached a settlement with Todd Carney for an unfair dismissal claim brought against the club by Carney last year.

footy75

Bench
Well done sharks. Took responsibility for danks and helped out dudded ex players. Accountability in action.

THIS. Cronulla took responsibility accepted the consequences, got on with it and won a premiership. Essendon cried and blamed everyone else like f**kkwits and killed the club.

JamesRustle

First Grade
A string of high profile players including Anthony Tupou and Ben Pomeroy were joined by Albert Kelly, Scott Porter Dean Collis, Broderick Wright, Josh Cordoba, Isaac Gordon, Paul Aiton, Nathan Gardner, Stewart Mills, Nathan Stapleton and Stuart Flanagan....

.... high profile.... dear God.... I wouldn't have wasted a single peptide on any of them.

I like Stuart's inclusion... I'm suing the club as my dad was incompetent and had insufficient oversight of his team.... maybe I should have told dad I was getting injections off site and this mess wouldn't have got out of control.