What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

BranVan3000

Coach
I honestly thought Maloney and Pearce were being picked on their ability to play a traditional halves role., Good kicking and getting repeat sets are at the centre of that. The LEAST repeat sets in the League? That means that they are worse than the Warriors, worse than the Eels, worse than Dragons. Teams who don't seem to know what they are doing.

If you are picking a half on their ability to run the ball it should be Sutton. BUT the first halves chosen should be good kickers... Campese, Mullen, Reynolds all getting snubbed and nobody can place why

Spanner in the works

First Grade
This would be my final side if I had the choice:
1. Hayne
2. Wighton
3. Jennings
4. Morris
5. Ferguson

6. Carney
7. Pearce

8. Grant
9. Farah
10. Tamou
11. Lewis
12. Bird
13. Gallen

14. Woods
15. Merrin
16. Fifita/Mannah/Sims
17. Watmough

big hit!

Bench
Watching Pearce/Maloney tonight worried me too.

Hopefully that leak is bullshit and Carney is selected over Maloney. We need at least one playmaker in the side.

I actually liked Tallis' suggestion (which shocked me because I never agree with him) that Carney or Mullen should be picked in the #14 if Maloney is the #6. At least that way if Pearce and Maloney are getting destroyed we have another option. I can see more benefits in that than picking Gidley. I know Gids is there to cover injuries but we really don't need that with Lewis already in the side. It's way too early for Reynolds even on the bench but 18th man maybe.

If Carney or Mullen have to picked on the bench, then that's a clear NO CONFIDENCE in the starting halves selected isn't it. What moron manager would do such a thing?

Ladmate

Bench
The Storm game showed me why I don't want Maloney. He looks great against the lesser sides, but he doesn't have the playmaking ability of a Carney to create something.

Swarzey

Bench
I pretty adamant against the idea of Gidley being the number 14 when the team was announced however, he was everywhere today. From hooker to center to fullback and created a lot of opportunities.

farmeister

Juniors
Last year, for the first time in years, NSW found 2 props that could match it with Queensland: Tamou and Grant.

And yet the selectors are stupid enough to ditch one of those props (Grant) and introduce yet another debutant??

In the past 7 years, how many NSW players have actually outplayed their opposite numbers? Grant is one of very few who did exactly that...and his reward is to get dropped from this year's squad!

Unbelievable.

I pretty adamant against the idea of Gidley being the number 14 when the team was announced however, he was everywhere today. From hooker to center to fullback and created a lot of opportunities.

Against the warriors who got smashed by 60 the week before and btw the knights still lost. Gildey super star.

What a nuffy comment.

Do you realise a team of 17 play a team of 17 every game?

The original comment said and I paraphrase "Maloney looks good against weaker sides but not good sides, does not have the playmaking ability of carney" so I ask what has carney produced against the better sides that Maloney hasn't. You can't answer and no one can cause carney doesn't deserve an origin birth

The Enforcer

Juniors

Yes, however i thought that the idea was to play well when in whatever position he plays in ?

mxlegend99

Referee
He did that against one of the weakest teams in the NRL. Look at how many opportunities a reserve grade filled Panthers team created against them last weekend.

Gidley has always carved up shit teams... for a few years it was always the Panthers that made him look great. He's an above average first grader, but not an Origin player.

undertaker

Coach
He did that against one of the weakest teams in the NRL. Look at how many opportunities a reserve grade filled Panthers team created against them last weekend.

Gidley has always carved up shit teams... for a few years it was always the Panthers that made him look great. He's an above average first grader, but not an Origin player.

The bottom line: Gidley was always going to get picked for Origin from the day he was named in the Canberra test match last month.

HowHigh

Coach
LAURIE Daley has named six new faces for his first game as NSW State of Origin coach. Ryan Hoffman, Kurt Gidley and Trent Merrin earned recalls, while James Maloney, Blake Ferguson and Andrew Fifita will debut in Origin I at ANZ Stadium on June 5.

They replace Brett Stewart (back), Beau Scott (groin), Tim Grant, Todd Carney, Ben Creagh and Tony Williams (all dropped).

The side is exactly the same as the one leaked to our very own Phil Rothfield on Saturday.
LIVE BLOG: DEBATE THE TEAM LIVE BELOW

In notable sections:

• GIDLEY, a veteran of 12 Origins, will play his first match for the Blues since game III of 2011 after missing last year’s series with a shoulder injury;

• HOFFMAN, a veteran of five Origins, will play his first match since 2008, when his club coach Craig Bellamy was in charge of the side;

• STAR Dragon Brett Morris was named on the wing after proving his fitness by returning from injury in last night’s clash against the Panthers;

• FERGUSON scored the other wing spot ahead of Nathan Merritt, Jorge Taufua and Akuila Uate;

• JARRYD Hayne was named at fullback for the first time since 2010, with Brett Stewart (back) unavailable;

• MALONEY slots in at five-eighth, beating incumbent Todd Carney to the hotly contested playmaking role alongside Mitchell Pearce;

• CAPTAIN Paul Gallen was named in the front row, with incumbent prop Tim Grant dropped;

• FIFITA will debut off the interchange, with Tony Williams dumped as NSW’s impact bench forward due to poor form;

• MERRIN reclaimed the bench spot he lost for game three last year, but Tigers tyro Aaron Woods missed out;

• GLENN Stewart declared himself unavailable, telling Daley he needs more work on his fitness. Stewart missed the opening eight rounds of the competition and feels he's still a couple of games short of reaching the level of strength required for Origin.

The team: Jarryd Hayne, Brett Morris, Michael Jennings, Josh Morris, Blake Ferguson, James Maloney, Mitchell Pearce, Paul Gallen (c), Robbie Farah (vc), James Tamou, Ryan Hoffman, Luke Lewis, Greg Bird. Interchange: Andrew Fifita, Kurt Gidley, Trent Merrin, Anthony Watmough

Latest posts