What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 2013 NSW side

undertaker

Coach
If replacing Pearce was the only change NSW make would it really make a difference?

A big difference. Too one-dimensional of a player at Origin level, not to mention HE HAS ALREADY BEEN GIVEN 4 CHANCES (2008/2010/2011/2012) and failed abysmally when the pressure was on to win the series.

No surprise we have not won a series since Andrew Johns retired from rep football. As has been shown during QLD's "7 year dynasty" and especially in last year's series, the halves combinations were the big difference where the outside backs and forwards have been evenly matched. However, if Cronk is suspended it would be a HUGE bonus for the Blues (breaking up the experienced Cronk/Thurston combination) and will lead to some interesting selections from QLD.

At least Maloney adds some respectibility over Carney at 5/8th. Carney had a great game in Game II last year, but went MIA in Game III. Maloney has been outstanding this year and made a big difference to the Roosters, not to mention his goalkicking. Would've liked to have seen Adam Reynolds complement him at halfback instead.

Last edited:

HowHigh

Coach
I still don't believe Pearce is origin standard but pairing him with Maloney makes sense if he is going to be in the team.
Gidley? I just don't understand why he keeps getting selected. At least Creagh isn't there this year..

undertaker

Coach
Oh, and happy to see Tony Williams out of origin. That guy has been one of the biggest frauds to have played Origin. Who could forget that brainsnap in last year's series where after a try from the kickoff he ran right near the sideline and turned the ball over? Plain stupidity.

undertaker

Coach
I still don't believe Pearce is origin standard but pairing him with Maloney makes sense if he is going to be in the team.
Gidley? I just don't understand why he keeps getting selected. At least Creagh isn't there this year..

Because he knows people in high places or has a lot of dirt on the current selectors.

And agree with your points about Creagh.

watatank

Coach
A big difference. Too one-dimensional of a player at Origin level, not to mention HE HAS ALREADY BEEN GIVEN 4 CHANCES (2008/2010/2011/2012) and failed abysmally when the pressure was on to win the series.

No surprise we have not won a series since Andrew Johns retired from rep football. As has been shown during QLD's "7 year dynasty" and especially in last year's series, the halves combinations were the big difference where the outside backs and forwards have been evenly matched. However, if Cronk is suspended it would be a HUGE bonus for the Blues (breaking up the experienced Cronk/Thurston combination) and will lead to some interesting selections from QLD.

At least Maloney adds some respectibility over Carney at 5/8th. Carney had a great game in Game II last year, but went MIA in Game III. Maloney has been outstanding this year and made a big difference to the Roosters, not to mention his goalkicking. Would've liked to have seen Adam Reynolds complement him at halfback instead.

But when you use that logic we may as well dump Gallen. He's played a part in all 7 series losses and now he's captain. How are we supposed to win a series?

I don't really care whether Pearce plays or not but I just don't think there is anyone who will be a significant improvement. Maloney or Reynolds? Just transferring all the problems of the team to another player who is not even that good. But that's okay though, because they haven't played yet and/or they're not Pearce, right? Carney is a player I think stands a chance of making a difference yet he's been cast aside by many.

Anyway, regardless of who the halves are they are lucky enough to have Hayne can add that extra playmaker from fullback.

But when you use that logic we may as well dump Gallen. He's played a part in all 7 series losses and now he's captain. How are we supposed to win a series?

Stupid argument.
One does his job & does it very well.Gallens job as a forward is to get a roll on get the team in Qlds 20 on the 5th.Which they did very well last yr.

Pearce's job is a playmaker. Once the forwards do their job it is up to him & whoever is partnering him to either set up a try or keep up pressure with a repeat set.
He fails dismally.Seems the ONLY option he has is a bomb to Tates wing ,that Tate easily catches ,just like the last 3 that he took.
If I was Gallen & co I would want to throttle Mythcell for basically handing the ball over after the hard work is done by the forwards.

Latest posts