What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: 1968/69 The Rugby League News

Eion

First Grade
I’ve been given a bunch of The Rugby Leauge News editions covering basically the 1968 and 1969 seasons.

Some quite interesting stuff in there, especially for the old Quigs amongst us...older than me...

I don’t really know what to do with these but figure they should go to a good home. Anyone have any ideas?

D2FDFDEC-8DD1-4D7A-AE8F-4040C6951504.jpeg

3AA75B91-23F6-4360-8145-DF8ABBA1C879.jpeg

B7077639-4F1A-4D38-9F90-19907881A11E.jpeg

Quigs

Immortal
The top pic Bro .... I reckon that might be Garry MacDougal doing the chasing although I thought it was Sams there for a minute but I checked my old 67 team photo and I am calling Macdougall ....BUTTTTT.... the other bloke with his back to the play is none other than Graham Wilson - father of Alan.

Graham was playing against his old club Newtown. He was an international playing in a couple of tests. (before he became a shark)

I still remember Wilson scoring a try - one of the best Ive seen from a big forward. It was during the twilight of his time with the Sharkies and it was in the Ressies. He took the ball on about halfway and near the eastern side of Endeavour.

He just made a straight line diagonal run towards the northwestern corner. He was unstoppable and was swatting players away like they were flies. I was in awe of his speed and strength.

Arhhhhhh the memories.

Fairdinkum ressies too. Old dinosaurs giving the young up and comers a wack and a lesson or two. Their last hurrahs, god bless em.

Great score. I would either keep them, or else scan them and sell them on ebay if I needed the cash.

I remember back in those days, you could go to the footy with as little as 15 cents, 5 cents to get into the hill and 10 cents for the Rugby League News Program. Plus 10 cents for the "child excursion" train fare.

Eion

First Grade
Great score. I would either keep them, or else scan them and sell them on ebay if I needed the cash.

I remember back in those days, you could go to the footy with as little as 15 cents, 5 cents to get into the hill and 10 cents for the Rugby League News Program. Plus 10 cents for the "child excursion" train fare.
Was thinking perhaps the club or NRL records might want them. Can’t imagine they’re worth heaps... would rather they just had a good home to be honest.

Frenzy.

Immortal
The top pic Bro .... I reckon that might be Garry MacDougal doing the chasing although I thought it was Sams there for a minute but I checked my old 67 team photo and I am calling Macdougall ....BUTTTTT.... the other bloke with his back to the play is none other than Graham Wilson - father of Alan.

Graham was playing against his old club Newtown. He was an international playing in a couple of tests. (before he became a shark)

I still remember Wilson scoring a try - one of the best Ive seen from a big forward. It was during the twilight of his time with the Sharkies and it was in the Ressies. He took the ball on about halfway and near the eastern side of Endeavour.

He just made a straight line diagonal run towards the northwestern corner. He was unstoppable and was swatting players away like they were flies. I was in awe of his speed and strength.

Arhhhhhh the memories.

Fairdinkum ressies too. Old dinosaurs giving the young up and comers a wack and a lesson or two. Their last hurrahs, god bless em.

I see a young Bobby Carnegie there backing up the Newtown quigs

Quigs

Immortal
And Chicka out wide. I didn't mind the old Bluebags.

Me ol' Pop from Sydneyham was a one eyed Newtown man. And he actually had a glass eye.

Quigs

Immortal
And Johnny Monie at 5/8 behind Sir Thomas in the Easts pic.

And I am calling a blurred Bob Wear out on the wing.

Frenzy.

Immortal

20c for a footy double to win $20.

I remember a day at EndeavourI got one and had Paul ‘Flash’ Taylor and Kevin Junee in the double

Junee scores 2 or 3 as the Roosters flogged the Sharks

Junee scores first and Lo and behold Flash on his dicky knees got me home by scoring first for the Sharks

You bewdy!!! $20!!!

I would of been about 10-11 and was stoked. That was a fortune back then

Never won another footy double LOL

Stake Removed

First Grade
20c for a footy double to win $20.

I remember a day at EndeavourI got one and had Paul ‘Flash’ Taylor and Kevin Junee in the double

Junee scores 2 or 3 as the Roosters flogged the Sharks

Junee scores first and Lo and behold Flash on his dicky knees got me home by scoring first for the Sharks

You bewdy!!! $20!!!

I would of been about 10-11 and was stoked. That was a fortune back then

Never won another footy double LOL
Frenzy I became season ticket holder in 88 one double twice, I used to sit near couple late 50's whi had being going since around 70 he had never won

Stake Removed

First Grade
I
Haha good stuff. Do you remember who you had?
I remember one was a Newcastle game and I do remember having no 9 when won the other when seen had hooker, I went noooooo, but if team scored 0, 9 was the number

Also is was the time of 3 grades

Frenzy.

Immortal
I

I remember one was a Newcastle game and I do remember having no 9 when won the other when seen had hooker, I went noooooo, but if team scored 0, 9 was the number

Also is was the time of 3 grades

Yeah that’s right. Didn’t 2 hookers get ya money back?

Latest posts