What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: 1968/69 The Rugby League News

Quigs

Immortal
How was your 80th birthday that year you old fruit?
Yes me lil sock puppet - twas a wonderful night. The Taren Point Hall has never been the same since.

The overflowing crowd really enjoyed the North Tom Uglys Banjo Band. That version they did of ol' Satchmos "I'll be glad when you dead you rascal you" was the highlight of a very memorable night.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been given a bunch of The Rugby Leauge News editions covering basically the 1968 and 1969 seasons.

Some quite interesting stuff in there, especially for the old Quigs amongst us...older than me...

I don’t really know what to do with these but figure they should go to a good home. Anyone have any ideas?

View attachment 18284

View attachment 18285

View attachment 18286
I'm certainly keen, It would help me mow through two seasons worth of results pretty damn quickly.

fizman

Bench
In 1979, I was six years old and I LOVED my footy cards. Mum would take me to the Milkbar at Heathcote to buy them for me.

I think I had about 100 cards and was powering on towards getting the whole set,

I went to school one day, and this older kid came up to me and said "I will swap you all of your cards for the WHOLE Newtown team".

I took the deal, got home and told my Dad I scored the deal of a life time, I got the ALL of the Newtown team!

He banned me from owning any more footy cards - it was the end of my life as a six year old kid.

That was until Dad's mate, Steve Edmonds popped around with some signed Cronulla cards - it was the greatest day of my life!

Unfortunately though, I was never allowed to take them to school, I could look at them and then I had to put them in Dad's footy sock and it was stored away in the top shelf of his cupboard.

I went to Engadine West primary school - so if any of you blokes took my playing cards I am coming for you.

Eion, I think it would be best to share them with both Mad Unit & Quigs.

And I disagree with whoever said they’re not valuable. A lot of Sharks supporters would pay decent coin to have those archived in their Man Cave.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
No worries, if you’re around the shire at any time I can drop them to you. Just PM me.
I'll be in Sydney in October, Will definitely get in touch. We always go back to the shire, usually so the bride can spend all my f**king money at the Sharks store.

But I at least get a steak into me first before hand ;-)

I will scan them, so Quigs can choose if he wants digital copies or the real deal.

Latest posts