What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

bartman

Immortal
Tipped those RedandBlackBastards for a win tonight... but their failure to put just one of their shots through has dropped me from 1st to 3rd place in my tipping comp.

iu

bartman

Immortal
Its seems like Popa put all his faith this season in that Bulut knobend... didn't work out too well.

#popaout

Suitman

Post Whore
I can't believe they don't have a marquee in their front/middle two.

We tried and should have one.

After the Popa experiment with Bulut, who was reasonably successful in his first stint here and who was pissed off pretty quickly this season, we attempted to bring in a proven striker under the "Tim Cahill Rule" (created by Gallop and the FFA themselves just to get Cahill to Melbourne City and circumvent the 2 marquee player rule - MC now have 3 on their books) in the January transfer window, yet it was refused by the FFA for "not meeting the metrics".
Edvardo da Silva, a Brazilian born now Croatian, was not considered worthy enough for this NEW rule, yet if you check out his stats, he should have been a worthy addition to the second half of the season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_da_Silva

Melbourne Victory also tried to bring in an extra marquee and were also refused, for the same reason. Metrics, according to Gallop.

You'd think Gallop and co would want to prosper the game and allow players like these into the A-League, yet they throw roadblocks up like this at their own digression, while throwing money from their marquee fund at Cahill, to the richest club in the A-League.
Gallop was a clown running the NRL. He's even worse running the A-League.
The uhms and ahs are even worse now.

bartman

Immortal
A win today for Newcastle against Brisbane Roar (perhaps resting players for ACL?) will see the Jets jump into 6th place... get your money/tips on them, people!

bartman

Immortal
The Jets did extremely well to hold the lead until the 62nd minute... but then the weight of the earlier red card and playing one man down took its toll.

The top 6 remain safe - for another round.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'll tell you who is safe (besides the Effen Cees) - the top five. Daylight is in sixth spot.

Yes I'm referring to former reserve grade winger Matthew Daylight.

Suitman

Post Whore

This has been put out to the media by the FFA as a tester for support. I hope it fails, because just releasing this information proves that having football in Australia run by non football people is a journey down the wrong path.
It's quite clear that football the world over is so successful due to its tribalism. You see it everywhere, quite often to the detriment of the game for obvious reasons. The same goes for all sports. St George and the Steelers would have far more passionate support if they still represented their own districts, rather than being a hybrid club, where each set of supporters get to travel to their local home ground just 4 or 5 times a season.
To try and create a team combining two distinct geographical areas of support is just going against the grain of what builds this tribalism.
Surely if originally the FFA thought the Central Coast was worthy of it's own team, than Wollongong should also be considered the same......or even more so, considering it has a prouder and more distinct football heritage and history than the Central Coast EVER had.

This is where this bid is so wrong. Sure, add a southern Sydney team, but don't try and tie it in with another region that does not associate itself with that team, whether they are patronised with a bit part in the team name or not.
Actually, the FFA would be better served entering two teams from the region. A southern Sydney team AND a Wollongong team. That's how you create rivalries.

But all of what I've said doesn't matter because it doesn't meet former News Limited lawyer and NRL boss Gallop's metrics for the future of the game in this country.

This is why I originally said in this post that non-football people running the sport in this country is a f**king disaster. They do NOT understand the game and its fans.
Former AFL honcho Ben Buckley was no better when he was at the helm.
Former ARU boss John O'Neill did a half decent job, but thankfully, he didn't stay around long.
The FFA need to bring in a Football person, if they seriously want to further the game in this country.

This bid ISN'T good for the game. Just Fox Sports. And even then, it ain't as good for them as two teams - Southern Sydney AND Wollongong.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sydney FC are set to oppose the expansion in southern Sydney and are likely to submit a counter to the FFA.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...-murray-and-craig-foster-20170306-guri2d.html
FFS. I understand clubs wanting to protect their monopolies but I hope the A-League administrators ignore Sydney FC and let it through. One of the worst things for the NRL is Brisbane's monopoly. Obviously there is another A-League team in Sydney (the Western ESFC) but the city is big enough for two more teams.

The game needs to expand, and any whinging about lack of players can be overcome by a temporary (or permanent) increase in the number of foreigners allowed per team.

strider

Post Whore
Can it really handle another team? ... I thought Eastern ESFC's membership numbers were already being questioned? Its gonna make a dent in their numbers more than the Westies

Suitman

Post Whore
Can it really handle another team? ... I thought Eastern ESFC's membership numbers were already being questioned? Its gonna make a dent in their numbers more than the Westies

esfc. The team for all of Sydney and Arnie told us that they would be the Man U of Asia.
Surely a little Shire team won't harm that?

Avenger

Immortal
This has been put out to the media by the FFA as a tester for support. I hope it fails, because just releasing this information proves that having football in Australia run by non football people is a journey down the wrong path.
It's quite clear that football the world over is so successful due to its tribalism. You see it everywhere, quite often to the detriment of the game for obvious reasons. The same goes for all sports. St George and the Steelers would have far more passionate support if they still represented their own districts, rather than being a hybrid club, where each set of supporters get to travel to their local home ground just 4 or 5 times a season.
To try and create a team combining two distinct geographical areas of support is just going against the grain of what builds this tribalism.
Surely if originally the FFA thought the Central Coast was worthy of it's own team, than Wollongong should also be considered the same......or even more so, considering it has a prouder and more distinct football heritage and history than the Central Coast EVER had.

This is where this bid is so wrong. Sure, add a southern Sydney team, but don't try and tie it in with another region that does not associate itself with that team, whether they are patronised with a bit part in the team name or not.
Actually, the FFA would be better served entering two teams from the region. A southern Sydney team AND a Wollongong team. That's how you create rivalries.

But all of what I've said doesn't matter because it doesn't meet former News Limited lawyer and NRL boss Gallop's metrics for the future of the game in this country.

This is why I originally said in this post that non-football people running the sport in this country is a f**king disaster. They do NOT understand the game and its fans.
Former AFL honcho Ben Buckley was no better when he was at the helm.
Former ARU boss John O'Neill did a half decent job, but thankfully, he didn't stay around long.
The FFA need to bring in a Football person, if they seriously want to further the game in this country.

This bid ISN'T good for the game. Just Fox Sports. And even then, it ain't as good for them as two teams - Southern Sydney AND Wollongong.
I agree with you mate. I can't follow them if it merges 3 regions. Last weekend I was away in Bathurst for my kid's pre-season football tournament. It was Friday night and the majority of the bar I was in voted for the Sydney FC - Melbourne Victory game to be on the big screen television before League. Imagine proposing that 10 years ago?

I love my A League, we are heading in the right direction but we need to be careful. Even though we lost when that prick Santalab scored against us a few weeks ago the buzz in that souless stadium was still bigger than anything I have experienced since the Eels' run in 2009.

Suitman

Post Whore
Problem is most of the Shire follow Sydney FC and are not turncoats like you. :):p

I've mentioned this before. My sister lives in the Shire and her husband and a lot of his mates are football players and fans and esfc fans. They've all told be they WOULD support a local team, so speak for yourself buddy.

Avenger

Immortal
I've mentioned this before. My sister lives in the Shire and her husband and a lot of his mates are football players and fans and esfc fans. They've all told be they WOULD support a local team, so speak for yourself buddy.
Well I hang out with my Shire buddies and regularly travel with them to games and they say different. Besides how can I turn my back on a Serbian centric team like Sydney FC unless of course the new Shire based team are called the Southern Sydney White Eagles.

Suitman

Post Whore
I agree with you mate. I can't follow them if it merges 3 regions. Last weekend I was away in Bathurst for my kid's pre-season football tournament. It was Friday night and the majority of the bar I was in voted for the Sydney FC - Melbourne Victory game to be on the big screen television before League. Imagine proposing that 10 years ago?

I love my A League, we are heading in the right direction but we need to be careful. Even though we lost when that prick Santalab scored against us a few weeks ago the buzz in that souless stadium was still bigger than anything I have experienced since the Eels' run in 2009.

I'm not ever suggesting that football will be any bigger in the scale of sport in this country than what it is now.
What I am saying is that it has so much more potential than what is being realised now, and that is because it is being run by the wrong people.
I just cannot believe that the FFA and that f**kwit Gallop would even consider a combined southern Sydney/South Coast team.
It just goes against the grain of what I said, tribalism, is all about. For a CEO to use the word "metrics" is just a f**king business cop out.

I've been to every Wanderers away game vs the Mariners in Gosford since the inception of the Wanderers, and I get so much joy out of seeing how passionate the Mariners fans are for their team. And that is an area that had little football history.
Wollongong is a different kettle of fish. They have serious football history.
The fact that the hierarchy of the FFA cannot see that disturbs me.

Suitman

Post Whore
Well I hang out with my Shire buddies and regularly travel with them to games and they say different. Besides how can I turn my back on a Serbian centric team like Sydney FC unless of course the new Shire based team are called the Southern Sydney White Eagles.

lol.
Nice one.
Maybe you should all move back to Bonnyrigg.
:)

Latest posts