What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Gronk

Staff member
Maybe the saudis were protesting about the two other Australians killed by terrorists in the past week that were not acknowledged.

Little girl from Melbourne killed buying ice cream in Iraq on hols.

Hotel reception dude killed by hooker rooting mad merkin in Brighton.

DB2enwvUMAIChB4.jpg

Eelementary

Post Whore
Tbh, the outrage is hilarious.

"They didn't stand silent for 60 seconds! How dare they!"

Meanwhile, the FFA knew they had no intention of doing it, and allowed things to get out of control anyway.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Is that a fact ? Then they should not have gone through with it to avoid controversy and hurt to the families linked to the incident.

According to the article I linked, yes - the Saudis informed the Aussies that they would not be participating with the minute's silence.

But you have Leckie and McGowan fronting the media this morning, saying how disappointing it was, blah blah blah.

It's a storm in a tea cup, and it should never have gotten to the levels of outrage it did.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Tbh, the outrage is hilarious.

"They didn't stand silent for 60 seconds! How dare they!"

Meanwhile, the FFA knew they had no intention of doing it, and allowed things to get out of control anyway.
Has a reason been given why they couldn't stand for 60 seconds?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Has a reason been given why they couldn't stand for 60 seconds?

Kind of - in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, they predominantly practice Wahhabi Islam, and they do not honour birthdays, deaths, etc.

It was a miscommunication, more than anything.

I think people need to remember, too, that this was a World Cup Qualifier - the stakes were high, and it was being televised all over the world.

Imagine the Saudi players - being pressured from one side to give a minute's silence, and being pressured by Saudi officials not to, in case the senior Saudi royalty saw it, and got upset.

The FFA admitted that they were approached by Saudi officials, who informed them that it is not in their culture to do so, and they would decline to partake.

The Saudi players still stayed on their half of the field; it's not like they totally disrespected the memories of the poor girls, unlike the imbeciles who were screaming during the minute's silence, which was totally bizarre.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Socceroos have done surprisingly well in the Confederations Cup. Lost 3-2 to World Cup holders Germany and this morning drew 1-1 with African champions Cameroon. Up next is a must win game against South American champions Chile. Will we finally get belted? Chile beat Cameroon 2-0 and drew with Germany. It's very exciting.

Gronk

Staff member
The Socceroos have done surprisingly well in the Confederations Cup. Lost 3-2 to World Cup holders Germany and this morning drew 1-1 with African champions Cameroon. Up next is a must win game against South American champions Chile. Will we finally get belted? Chile beat Cameroon 2-0 and drew with Germany. It's very exciting.

Germany put up their B side, but yeah pretty good result for a non-friendly.

They said on the ABC this morning that because someone beat someone we will need to be Chile "by a few goals" to progress. Unlikely I would think.

strider

Post Whore
Germany put up their B side, but yeah pretty good result for a non-friendly.

They said on the ABC this morning that because someone beat someone we will need to be Chile "by a few goals" to progress. Unlikely I would think.
I was a bit chile this morning ... does that count?

84 Baby

Referee
Credit where it is due, this morning was the best Socceroos have played since Asian Cup, against quality opposition and "understrength". Not great to not hold on for win but at least their goal was mostly from their efforts, plus our goal was really good

Suitman

Post Whore
Credit where it is due, this morning was the best Socceroos have played since Asian Cup, against quality opposition and "understrength". Not great to not hold on for win but at least their goal was mostly from their efforts, plus our goal was really good

Absolutely.
3 tough teams we played and held our own against all of them.
We certainly are no where near the top of the world in rankings.....nor should we be.
But we have some talented players, and Ange is pushing the players to play a particular style.

84 Baby

Referee
Absolutely.
3 tough teams we played and held our own against all of them.
We certainly are no where near the top of the world in rankings.....nor should we be.
But we have some talented players, and Ange is pushing the players to play a particular style.
It's the first that style has worked for extended period in a game. Mainly because Irvine, Mass and Milligan defended out of their skin. There'd be few other teams it'll precisely work against but I'd like to see our mids and forwards be more active in defence like that.
Our backline is still very thin. Though to be fair we're not flush with quality backs ATM

84 Baby

Referee
Plus I know his injury has probably hampered him through WC qualifying but I can't see Jedinak being that active in defence. He can be a better distributor but you've got to be struggling big time when Milligan outplays you