What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
2-1 at home after over 100 minutes is a bit ordinary, I know we won and all that but hard to get excited over this team, we may limp into the WC but we rely so heavily on an ageing Cahill it ridiculous

if he is injured or unavailable we may as well stay at home

Gronk

Staff member
2-1 at home after over 100 minutes is a bit ordinary, I know we won and all that but hard to get excited over this team, we may limp into the WC but we rely so heavily on an ageing Cahill it ridiculous

if he is injured or unavailable we may as well stay at home

Add to that 75% possession and also vs 10 man team for most of extra time.

I'm not expert but to me we struggle in transition, struggle to put the ball into space and obviously struggle to find the net. Apart from Cahill in the air, we really don't have decent finishers.

Eelementary

Post Whore
There is a mentality in the Australian team to pass - regardless of whether your target is in space, or not.

Tim Cahill said as much on the radio this morning - he told Robbie Kruse to, "Don't even look - just cross it."

Until we start respecting the ball, and our opposition, we will never improve.

It's no good for your wingers to beat their man with speed and agility, only to hoof it into the box, with nobody there waiting.

Rogic had the right idea - dribble first, then lay it off if nothing was on.

All in all - glad we won, but we have a tremendous amount of work to do.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we dont really have a target man up forward either, Cahill is a hard worker but doesn't really physically take charge of the box

he'll get monstered in the WC

Incorrect

Coach

A team that draws with Thailand and then struggles to beat them at home when direct qualification demanded we put them to the sword, and then struggles to get past a group of war-torn nomads with no home ground really shouldn't be going to the World Cup IMO. Some of the execution of passes and crosses last night was sub standard and nobody apart from a 54 year old Tim Cahill looks like they have any clue where the back of the net is.... for the sake of football in this country, it's probably best Honduras or Panama or Haiti or some other merkins get the spot ahead of us - we shoudln't be allowed to play this poorly and still be part of the big dance....

84 Baby

Referee
we dont really have a target man up forward either, Cahill is a hard worker but doesn't really physically take charge of the box

he'll get monstered in the WC

I am massively surprised that Giannou is nowhere to be seen given the way Ange wants us to play. We clearly want to pass the ball into the net (because obviously none of us want to dribble the ball) so a striker who can play with his back to the goal would be ideal. I think Ange has really confused how he wants individual players to play with how the whole team should be playing

we shoudln't be allowed to play this poorly and still be part of the big dance....
I agree. I still want us to make world cup but I think that would be an unjustified reward. That said I reckon we'll see a massive shake up after our cup time ends whether next year or next month

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like we are playing Honduras, they just wont, Seppos just lost so they are out

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
FoxSports are reporting that Ange is pissed off with the media and had enough. Mooy learned he was starting from the bench trough the media as the team was leaked to the media lunch time yesterday.

I don't think we played badly last night....it's just too one-dimensional when a team have the incentive to sit back against you. While Cahill is great in the air from crosses, he doesn't move a lot off the ball and so playing through the middle to him is not really a credible threat, and the opposition know that.

On the more amusing side, the US have just been eliminated (no 2nd chances) from the World Cup.

That's gonna cost FIFA and some media networks and sponsors some money. Lets see if they try to disqualify someone, or change the rules.

Incorrect

Coach
On the more amusing side, the US have just been eliminated (no 2nd chances) from the World Cup.

That's gonna cost FIFA and some media networks and sponsors some money. Lets see if they try to disqualify someone, or change the rules.

FIFA will announce a "One Time Only, Never To Be Repeated, Special One Off World Cup Wildcard Playoff" (aka the OTONTBRSOOWCP Extravaganza) where the US get to play against the lowest ranked Asian Team for the right to take the yet to be announced, last minute 33rd World Cup spot - they will team up with FIBA and the opponents will also need to play against the current US Dream Team in a game of basketball and the team with highest combined aggregate across both games is awarded the privileged 33rd spot and on the road to Russia....

84 Baby

Referee
I had Van Halen all set but San Pedro Sula here we come.

Bye bye USA and bye bye Chile. People reckon we don't deserve to make it but wow these teams failing. Both these teams would have been thinking of advancing from WC group stage at least

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And losing a single two-legged playoff series is somewhat acceptable. 180 minutes isn't really sufficient to remove enough randomness from the equation for either team's quality to emerge convincingly. But performance over the course of a qualifying pool is a good indicator of where you deserve to be.

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah if it had made it to a penalty shoot out it would have been shit to lose given their bullshit penalty in Malacca

Latest posts