What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

strider

Post Whore
We could ever get him to take a good aussie name like people used to ... looks like a Shane to me

TheParraboy

Staff member
Yep, incredible goals.
That first one was unbelievably skillful, to be able to take down a cross like that and then hit it on the half volley. Incredible stuff.

agree

Have seen others who had the opportunity to do the dame but couldn't nail it

papers today, well the telegraph, demanding cahill be picked according to puplic poll 85%

Suitman

Post Whore
agree

Have seen others who had the opportunity to do the dame but couldn't nail it

papers today, well the telegraph, demanding cahill be picked according to puplic poll 85%

I would rather trust the coach and the decisions he makes.
Cahill has played f-all football for over 6 months.
That public poll would have been voted by the same internet warriors who have been threatening Robbie Kruse's family. Social media sucks when there are so many people who think they know so much more than an experienced international coach.

hybrideel

Bench
There is no excuse for threatening a players family.
However in regards to the poll, what do you expect?
Over the last 10 years Tim Cahill has been the centre of, if not the only player involved in most of Australia's best soccer moments.
Now I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means, however while watching the games so far, I would have felt a lot more confident of scoring a goal if I knew Cahill was a chance of being on the end of a header than I would of any other Australian player.
And while us average people may not have the general soccer knowledge of our coach, I'd say we have more at stake emotionally which would explain the obvious calls for Cahill to get a run

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Maybe you missed my point, which was that Cahill isn’t getting on the field because he’s not the player he was. The reason he is in the squad is because he obviously adds a lot off the field. But in an emergency I’m sure he could play and offer about the same as any of the merkins who missed out.

84 Baby

Referee
Well assuming Nabbout is out & Juric still not 100%, he may start because he can probably play the Nabbout role better than Juric. But if Juric starts then I can't really see Cahill getting on field (other than really late) because if we are chasing goals, I'd be restructuring slightly and partnering Juric & Maclaren.

Hope Cahill plays but.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I trust Van Marwijk's judgement, but I do think he made an error not bringing Cahill into the fold against Denmark.

Our wingers (well, Leckie) were carving up, giving good service into the box, but our lack of finishing let us down.

I think Cahill would have gotten us the 3 points.

And he would have had a talismanic effect on the team on the paddock.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Maybe you missed my point, which was that Cahill isn’t getting on the field because he’s not the player he was. The reason he is in the squad is because he obviously adds a lot off the field. But in an emergency I’m sure he could play and offer about the same as any of the merkins who missed out.

So let me get this straight

We pick a squad for the most prestigious and global event watched by billions, with the intention (of ideally )not playing our most experienced and proven cap, cause he is well Past it (not the player he was)

Pick him as trainer and get the likes of viduka involved if that is the mentality of helping the squad outside the pitch

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The alternative is not picking him at all. What difference would it make? It would just mean that instead of his presence with the squad we would have some nuffy who also wasn’t going to get on the field.

Cahill’s best value to us is off the field. How is that difficult to grasp? The merkin is 39 this year. He is only three years younger than the Senegal manager.

strider

Post Whore
The point is the merkins up front arent converting, who says 38 yr old cahill would be worse? ... he has been our only consistant threat of actually scoring for almost 20 yrs (along with hand balls from opposition merkins), surely he needs some game time in the next game