What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Eelementary

Post Whore
Eelementary thinks Cahill would’ve gone better than the blokes Van Marwijk picked?

No, not at all - I quite like Juric, and I think Nabbout was doing a fine job.

I just think that, in the context of the match, bringing Cahill on with 20 to go just might have spurred us on to win the game.

But hindsight is always wonderful, right?

I think Van Marwijk has generally done a fantastic job - but electing to leave Cahill on the bench against Denmark was a curious decision, and one which (though I understand the reasons behind it) I believe may have cost us those extra 2 points.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't forget that when the team was picked plenty of pundits questioned the selection of Cahill. He is currently clubless, after making ten appearances off the bench for a total of 63 minutes this year. That's just over an hour of professional football in six months, for a bloke who is nearly 40.

Suitman

Post Whore
Don't forget that when the team was picked plenty of pundits questioned the selection of Cahill. He is currently clubless, after making ten appearances off the bench for a total of 63 minutes this year. That's just over an hour of professional football in six months, for a bloke who is nearly 40.

Exactly. All people are doing is speculating whether he could/would have been our savior in our first two games. In reality, nobody knows, and all they are doing is clutching at straws in hindsight.
TBH, I'm in two minds about whether he should have been given time in those two games. That's why I'm prepared to give BVM the benefit of the doubt. He's an internationally experienced manager and would have his finger on the pulse more than anyone with regards to whether Cahill would have been beneficial.
In saying that, we are at the point where a win is essential. If what we have tried hasn't worked already, then we have nothing to lose in throwing him out there. It's all or nothing now.
Maybe even start him and give him 60 minutes, and if there is no success, replace him then with Juric or McClaren.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Group B no spoilers but my goodness! Possibly more exciting than Origin

The two top sides qualified for the next round with 1 win from 3

Since they have penalty shoot out for sudden death games, can’t see why they don’t have it for the group stages, would throw the cat among the pigeons in term of who qualifies through

Be like a lot of Eels news , very exciting

84 Baby

Referee
The two top sides qualified for the next round with 1 win from 3

Since they have penalty shoot out for sudden death games, can’t see why they don’t have it for the group stages, would throw the cat among the pigeons in term of who qualifies through

Be like a lot of Eels news , very exciting
It wouldn’t make it more exciting, barring the odd upset, because then there would be clear cut winners every game. Whereas now we, and last night, due to draws we have some teams needing wins, others might play for draws, goal difference comes into play

strider

Post Whore
I saw a fair bit of the portugal iran game ... entertaining ... even the merkin diving was funny

Gronk

Staff member
Fella on the ABC said this morning that merkins calling for Cahill to play tonight is like asking for Mike Hussey to play in the next test bc he is a nice guy.

Noted.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Fella on the ABC said this morning that merkins calling for Cahill to play tonight is like asking for Mike Hussey to play in the next test bc he is a nice guy.

Noted.

I’d welcome MHussey into the Australian test side , he’d show us how it’s done on the pitch compared to the gutless drivel we have been seeing

No brainer

TheParraboy

Staff member
It wouldn’t make it more exciting, barring the odd upset, because then there would be clear cut winners every game. Whereas now we, and last night, due to draws we have some teams needing wins, others might play for draws, goal difference comes into play

not recessarily

have the penalty shoot out 5 attempts only, so you would still get draws if level

adds another dimension to a drawn 90min game