What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - Help needed - ET's appearances in 1984

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering if you mob of top blokes can help me find 3 games that ET made off the bench in 1984?

I only have one bench appearance from him, Round 21 v Penrith (22 all draw)

According to the Sharks annual report he had 4 bench appearances.

It's the difference between him playing 325 games or 328.

I've been through all the newspaper archives I can get my hands on but to no avail.

Thanks blokes

Foz

Bench
I was wondering if you mob of top blokes can help me find 3 games that ET made off the bench in 1984?

I've been through all the newspaper archives I can get my hands on but to no avail.

Thanks blokes
Can't help you with 1984 games.
I have 1979 teams (I lost 1978) in a book I used to write teams down.
Had a few newspaper clippings and the City Country sides and odd rep games.

Not sure this helps at all but-
On Et you probably have he played a few games in 1983 because I read it somewhere that Terry Fearnley gave him his debut.He was in high school at the time.
Might of been an ET book or someone else's book.
Would've played some Mid Week Cup footy too but guessing that wouldn't count.

Also we had a playoff for fifth one year against Brisbane.Cant help you with the year (we flogged them and think we played Canberra in the knockout semi and got beat a few days later).

No surprise at all if ET played 4 games as a sub though.

Sometimes the papers got the teams wrong back in those days particularly subs.
I remember going to games watching guys get subbed and knowing who came on and I'd pick up the paper and theyd have some other name down.
Got worst when they used to publish the tackle counts.

I have the ET autobiography at home, will check and report back, Rugby League project may offer answers as well. I actually did not go to any games in 1984.

Stake Removed

First Grade

Thanks blokes

I can only find the one time as well, i am thinking though, maybe he was named on bench and never got on field, it was common occurence back then, maybe thats where the discrep is

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can only find the one time as well, i am thinking though, maybe he was named on bench and never got on field, it was common occurence back then, maybe thats where the discrep is
That is very much a possibility, however the Sharks annual reports are pretty good in my experience, in that they only list replacement appearances if the player takes to the field. (Most clubs annual reports are woeful in comparison).

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't help you with 1984 games.
I have 1979 teams (I lost 1978) in a book I used to write teams down.
Had a few newspaper clippings and the City Country sides and odd rep games.

Not sure this helps at all but-
On Et you probably have he played a few games in 1983 because I read it somewhere that Terry Fearnley gave him his debut.He was in high school at the time.
Might of been an ET book or someone else's book.
Would've played some Mid Week Cup footy too but guessing that wouldn't count.

Also we had a playoff for fifth one year against Brisbane.Cant help you with the year (we flogged them and think we played Canberra in the knockout semi and got beat a few days later).

No surprise at all if ET played 4 games as a sub though.

Sometimes the papers got the teams wrong back in those days particularly subs.
I remember going to games watching guys get subbed and knowing who came on and I'd pick up the paper and theyd have some other name down.
Got worst when they used to publish the tackle counts.
In 1984 he suffered an elbow injury I believe early on and was later dropped due to poor form.

Foz

Bench
I think they got their info from RLP

I have a book hanging around the house from 1994 edition Encyclopedia of Rugby League.
At that stage it says ETs played 202 games and 2 subs.
Not sure what stage of the season that is or if the season had finished.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah I got that, it was at the end of the 1993 season from memory.

I checked Andrew's book last night, but its very thin on stats and only gives aggregates.
I reckon if you have the time, to go to the State Library of NSW , which should have all the Big League magazines and go through all the 1984 issues. I recall that Big League would have summaries of the previous round's games, including the team line ups that actually took to the field.

Another source might be checking out Sydney Morning Heralds from 1984 using Google News.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=lL5f5cZgq8MC&dat=19840401&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been through the newspapers already.

I live in Mexico, so no Big League magazine's in the state library here. Plenty of Flogball ones though.

pity, all the Big Leagues are definitely in the State Library of NSW, if I had more free time, I'd spend an afternoon trawling through them.

Stake Removed

First Grade
pity, all the Big Leagues are definitely in the State Library of NSW, if I had more free time, I'd spend an afternoon trawling through them.

Correct me if wrong, but did Big League put the teams of previous week in magazine, i know they had team for upcoming weeks game but that can change.

If the library has RLW that would be what can help as they used to list previous result, rating every player in the game

Correct me if wrong, but did Big League put the teams of previous week in magazine, i know they had team for upcoming weeks game but that can change.

If the library has RLW that would be what can help as they used to list previous result, rating every player in the game
My memory of Big Leagues from the 80s was that they did post the team from the previous week in their individual match reports.

RLW definitely did list the teams and rating for the players, but I'm not sure whether they included replacement players. And as its a magazine published in NSW, it should be held in the State Library, which is a repository for everything published in NSW.

Anyway I figure that I will check out the State Library one night after work soonish.

Latest posts