What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Jury Duty

Weaponhead

Coach
I did a defamation trial in 99. Civil case so no real issues.

Frenzy summed up the risks well. 37 weeks is likely to be an ugly criminal trial.

A civil trial for a few weeks might be a good experience but put your wellbeing first.

azzah72

Bench
I've done it twice, once for 3 weeks and the second for 14 weeks.

You get 3 chances to pull out but the responsible this to do is take all required medical docs and flag it as soon as you get to the court house.

Usually, when you get there they've already shifted you from the case they sent the letter about and if you don't get selected the first case, they'll wall you into another.

Tell them straight up what you can handle (2 weeks max if you can) and they'll accommodate.

Be warned, during the day, you are locked in a room with no windows and no technology. Take a book.

M2D2

Bench
Thanks for the tips guys.
I can imagine how bad the silence and boredom is going to be. hahah

Eion

First Grade
I got called up. Went there on the day and was trying to get out of it. We were all sitting in a big room and you had to go up and request to leave if you had reason.

About a dozen people went up, couldn’t hear what they said, but they all got let out. So I thought I’d have a crack, told them I was super important and couldn’t spare the time. She told me I was a basically a dick and to sit down. It was a pretty long old walk back to my chair I can tell you...

Generalzod

Immortal
If I see the letter in the my letter box to do my citizens duty, I'll send it back return to sender.....I could not care less...

Quigs

Immortal
How bloody long has this been going on for. Has the bloody jury made their decision or not.

Should M2 be committed to jury duty or should he abstain.

Whose our useless Jury Foreman? Get him out here.

For the record I am in the No don't do it camp.

snout

First Grade
Ive been called up twice since moving to queensland and got out of it both times.

Card Shark

Immortal
Yes
Like I said the other jurors were god fearin folke
He got stitched up badly
He was just some old stoner
I tried to explain that there is a BIG difference between heads and leaf .
They just started accusing me of being a pot head.
Which I definitely am not.
I drink beer that’s it.
I don’t smoke anything, I can’t stand the stench.

So he got a guilty (verdict ) for supply from the jury.
f**king idiots they were.
One merkin was my age but just a knob...he put his hand up to be head juror.
I wanted to smash his face into the table.

Dunno what happened at his sentencing.

Well done for standing up for justice...whilst the real drug barons escape.

I can’t believe some of the drugs that are around these days...the world is going to have a massive drug induced mental health bill in coming decades.

carinashark

First Grade
I’ve had stress problems and did the jury duty. It actually helped I was able to meditate for a reason ( to get me through) and met some very wise fellow Australians. But having said that and remember watching the pre trial video .If selected and you don’t wish to proceed you will find court officials very understanding.

chewsta

First Grade
I did Jury duty as a kid and was picked, i was maybe 20-21 didn't have a car at the time so had to bus it. On the second or third morning the bus was running late and by the time i got to where my stop was I was freaking out about being late. Jumped off the bus and bolted straight across the road from the front of the bus and got cleaned up by a car coming alongside the bus. Nothing broken so off I went to sit in court all day with my knee the size of a football. Good times.

Marchad

Juniors
I was on a jury for a rape case involving a indigenous woman and a indigenous man. She told the judge “ he did me back ways your honour”

Marchad

Juniors
Mate I have hearing issues, after I attended a drug case which lasted two weeks and at times barely understood the testimony and evidence.The jury room had zero windows.
BTW this case was the second time for the same people,and they got off again, due to a couple of jury dissenters,not enough beyond reasonable doubters.Est cost $2m of both cases, with no convictions.

Received advice a few years later I was still on the roll and could be called up again.This time I organised a Certificate from my Medico and on forwarded it to the Sheriff or Marshall whoever ,and got the not required in future notice.
My wife also got a call up and she suffers claustrophobia,a certificate arranged and she was excused now and for ever..

Judging by your issues ,for which I am in deep sympathy with you,I suggest arranging something similar for the Medical Practioner .

You can turn a garbage bag of leaf into hash. It you wouldn’t sell it as smoking it would be more fun.

M2D2

Bench
They dropped it down to 10 weeks which i was okay with, but they said with my disability they didnt want to risk it as there are Alot of criminal cases and very little civil cases at the moment.
So im excused for a year and probably life.

Frenzy.

Immortal
They dropped it down to 10 weeks which i was okay with, but they said with my disability they didnt want to risk it as there are Alot of criminal cases and very little civil cases at the moment.
So im excused for a year and probably life.

So you miss out on an experience you wanted but Im not surprised they chose not to take you on.

Latest posts