What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: NBN in the shire

King Ben

Juniors
I'm sure Quigs will be the forum expert on all things NBN, but you've gotta be careful when signing up - all these cheap deals being advertised are for NBN speeds that are less than your current cable or ADSL connection. Bizarre that they would even have those speeds as an option.

Quigs

Immortal
I no expert on the NBN but I know for certain that certain farrkwits have certainly f**ked it up big time. Mr Harbourside Mansion, the man that invented the internet. He knows how munch he has f**ked it up.

Kerr-riste up here in the big smoke of Rocky they even built the Nodes in places that were known to flood and guess what happened when it flooded.

Moi, a Telstra Platinum member - I am years away from getting the NBN. But mate I am cruising with me 7.49mb download speed and the magnificent uploading speed of 0.67mb.

And thats on a good night.

Quigs

Immortal
for those that don't know here is a site you can do your own speedtest.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Interested to see who is getting what speeds in what areas.

Me on ADSL2 = 7.49mb download speed and uploading speed of 0.67mb. I am on the coast 44k east of Rockhampton.

taipan

Referee
for those that don't know here is a site you can do your own speedtest.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Interested to see who is getting what speeds in what areas.

Me on ADSL2 = 7.49mb download speed and uploading speed of 0.67mb. I am on the coast 44k east of Rockhampton.

Based on that and my checking Quigs(and I'm also a Telstra Platinum hobnob),I've got a download speed of 1.71mb(I knew it would be slow at the beginning) but an upload speed of .74mb.Makes your download speed rocket style.
Techo, stated the only problem I would have(with ADSL here) was downloading games and movies, which I'm not interested in .
I'm a Shire/Caringbah dipstick.

Generalzod

Immortal
I'm on OPTUS on cable I currently have

DOWNLOAD
101.28 Mbps

UPLOAD
1.66 Mbp
Anyway Turnbull has farked the NBN , I doubt I will take up the offer and change, It was supposed to be fibre to the Home, it's now a service that takes up the old copper wiring telstra service.
I checked the NBN site for Gymea Bay and it's currently planned for this:
Planned availability: Apr-Jun 2018*.

Planned technology: nbn:tm: nbn:tm: Fibre to the curb connection (FTTC) is used in circumstances where an optic fibre line will be run to the street front of your premises. Existing copper technology will then be used to make the final part of the nbn:tm: network connection." data-original-title="" title="" style="box-sizing: border-box; cursor: pointer; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(153, 153, 153) !important;">Fibre to the curb (FTTC)*.

You see Copper was supposed to be an old Technology, f**k Turnbull.

Last edited:

Quigs

Immortal
Taipan, I saw somewhere last night that the average aussie download is 8.5mb download.

My ADSL used to be around 2 to 3mb but I whinged like a mongrel dog everytime my internet played up. I'd lodge a complaint everybloody time and kept a record. I actually got to know the Telstra Tech blokes that came out by first name at times. I've had them here 4 / 5 times all up. They'd check the line for everything for me. (even slipped me a new modem as a spare - still in its box)

Long story short. I have the actual phone hole in the ground concrete box out the front of my Tora Bora Cave. One day I was out while the tech bloke was trying to find my fault. As we were chatting and sharing a coffee he said "this might be your problem". He showed me the connection from the 'hole' and then he held the copper connection and it just disintergrated in his fingers. The whole copper wire system in my location is ancient and crap.

Another time they decided to do a test from the Emu Park exchange (4k away) all the way to me ouse. They discovered a short in the wires at the 'pillar post' node (is that is what it was called) 500 metres from my house. The short in the wire from that node thingy was 2 metres from the post.

They ended up redirecting me through another set / line of wires and when they ran a test at my modem I was getting 11mb download into me ouse.

Of course that slowed down as soon as others came online.

I was originally told not to expect anything above 4mg as that was the best they could ever do. THE MORAL OF THE STORY. Whinge, lodge complaints, moan and scream at them. I pay good money I expect a decent connection.

The system up here is totally farrked up. They don't have enough ports in the exchange and are not planning on expanding the system because of the NBN rollout. But we have a heap of people moving into this area all the time and they can't access it at all.

It is a proper shitfight.

I know if I dont get fibre than the existing old copper that is in the ground will be an ongoing shitfight. I've been told that.

Quigs

Immortal
I'm on OPTUS on cable I currently have

DOWNLOAD
101.28 Mbps

UPLOAD
1.66 Mbp
Anyway Turnbull has farked the NBN , I doubt I will take up the offer and change, It was supposed to be fibre to the Home, it's now a service that takes up the old copper wiring telstra service.
I checked the NBN site for Gymea Bay and it's currently planned for this:
Planned availability: Apr-Jun 2018*.

Planned technology: nbn:tm: nbn:tm: Fibre to the curb connection (FTTC) is used in circumstances where an optic fibre line will be run to the street front of your premises. Existing copper technology will then be used to make the final part of the nbn:tm: network connection." data-original-title="" title="" style="box-sizing: border-box; cursor: pointer; border-bottom: 1px dotted rgb(153, 153, 153) !important;">Fibre to the curb (FTTC)*.

You see Copper was supposed to be an old Technology, f**k Turnbull.

MEDIA RELEASE - MALCOLM TURNBULL HAS PURCHASED 15 MILLION METRES OF COPPER FOR THE NBN - 17 MAY 2017
http://www.michellerowland.com.au/m...lion_metres_of_copper_for_the_nbn_17_may_2017

Generalzod

Immortal
But Turnbull invented the Internet isn't what Abbott said...Yeah right dick head he farked it.

Quigs

Immortal
Based on that and my checking Quigs(and I'm also a Telstra Platinum hobnob),I've got a download speed of 1.71mb(I knew it would be slow at the beginning) but an upload speed of .74mb.Makes your download speed rocket style.
Techo, stated the only problem I would have(with ADSL here) was downloading games and movies, which I'm not interested in .

Taip.... During one of my many whinges to Telstra they made me a Platinum Member for FREE ... just to keep me satisfied.

Generalzod

Immortal
We are also a laugh stock around the world:

BRISBANE, Australia — Fed up with Australian internet speeds that trail those in most of the developed world, Morgan Jaffit turned to a more reliable method of data transfer: the postal system.

Hundreds of thousands of people from around the world have downloaded Hand of Fate, an action video game made by his studio in Brisbane, Defiant Development. But when Defiant worked with an audio designer in Melbourne, more than 1,000 miles away, Mr. Jaffit knew it would be quicker to send a hard drive by road than to upload the files, which could take several days.

“It’s really the big file sizes that kill us,” said Mr. Jaffit, the company’s co-founder and creative director. “When we release an update and there’s a small bug, that can kill us by three or four days.”

Australia, a wealthy nation with a widely envied quality of life, lags in one essential area of modern life: its internet speed. Eight years after the country began an unprecedented broadband modernization effort that will cost at least 49 billion Australian dollars, or $36 billion, its average internet speed lags that of the United States, most of Western Europe, Japan and South Korea. In the most recent ranking of internet speeds by Akamai, a networking company, Australia came in at an embarrassing No. 51, trailing developing economies like Thailand and Kenya.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/world/australia/australia-slow-internet-broadband.html?_r=0

Maccas4177

Juniors
If you're in Caringbah South, Dolans Bay or Lilli Pilli, you are furthest from the Miranda exchange. Its the worst spot to be.

Carch my advice. Dont get any contract longer than 6 months. The pricing & marketing strategy for the next 5 years is designed to keep everybody at a premium price point, via speed upgrades & rolling lockins.
Probably at about 18 months, the new technology will be in place that start the acceleration of the network speeds to levels hundreds of times faster than present. Primarily, through software upgrades.
Also during that time, individuals who want fibre to the premises, for whatever far king reason, will be able to have it installed themselves, further increasing bandwidth. So they can stay faster than their neighbours for a few months.
In the meantime, netflix, Stan, Amazon et al. all get to sell their products on Australian tax paid infrastructure, and contribute absolutely nothing towards it, while using up to 80% of all Australian bandwidth during peak hours.
Also, maybe investigate community wifi & see what their speeds are. Currently there are quite a few ommunity wifis with speeds already faster than the NBN. eg. Lightning broadband had an interesting business model a while ago.

carcharias

Immortal
Dude never showed up
Meant to come yesterday
No call
No nothing
I tried to cancel and stay on adsl but they reckon I can't now

I have read horror stories about it dropping out for days or taking weeks to connect in at first.

My adsl at home is fine
We don't have Netflix or Stan
We just watch foxplay
Red tube etc

I was just wondering if only people with bad experiences bother writing online reviews.

carcharias

Immortal
I don't care if the speed is the same as now
I just want it to work straight away
No bullshitting around

taipan

Referee
Taip.... During one of my many whinges to Telstra they made me a Platinum Member for FREE ... just to keep me satisfied.

Well they didn't keep me satisfied Quigs.I pay $15 per month for the privlege.

" The best things in life are free, just give me money that's what I want."
Bugger it Quigs.Costs me $15 per month, just for the platinum privilege.Maybe I need to have a chat with ScoMo with baseball bat at the ready.

Latest posts