What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- NZ Election

shiznit

Coach
And a smug Winston

He's been waiting a long time for this.
Meh... hes done it twice before... being the kingmaker is nothing new to him.

The only smug ones looking stupid now are idiots like Joyce and Collins... they deliberately and purposefully went after him leading in to the election which may have Ultimately sent them in to opposition.

Rich102

Staff member
Well I guess it's what the majority of voters want.
So now all that remains is for the Greens to decide that, rather than remain out in the cold, they will go into government with the Nats.
Job done.

shiznit

Coach
Well I guess it's what the majority of voters want.
So now all that remains is for the Greens to decide that, rather than remain out in the cold, they will go into government with the Nats.
Job done.
This notion that the Greens need to open themselves up to dealing with the right is rubbish...

They can’t.... the base of that party has come from the Labour Party. When Labour were at their lowest the Greens had taken the majority of those votes.

When Labour started to come back it was the Greens who suffered the most.

If the Greens announce that they are willing to go to the right before an election then they potentially risk not even getting to the 5% threshold.

A new environmental based party can be formed on the right... which could take those Green voters who were happy to go with the right...

But people need to realise that the Green Party base is just as much if not more about social policy as it is environmental policy. And it’s that social justice aspect of that base which will find it almost impossible to work with national.

So if they split that base.... neither of them might make the 5% threshold.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Loving all the closet right-wingers tears... :joy::joy:

Its f**king GLORIOUS watching that dickhead Hosking sit there sulking... :joy::joy:

Hosking was having a full meltdown. Loved his whinging about Ardern being a couple minutes late after finding out with me and you that she was the Prime Minister.

Meth

Staff member
Meh... hes done it twice before... being the kingmaker is nothing new to him.

The only smug ones looking stupid now are idiots like Joyce and Collins... they deliberately and purposefully went after him leading in to the election which may have Ultimately sent them in to opposition.

Which is odd, right?

We've basically known for a year that Winston was going to be the kingmaker...obviously, the demise of Dunne and the Maori party sealed the deal, but that was bloody shortsighted and blind.

JJ

Immortal
The relentless positivity has ended - Ardern joining Winston's rhetoric of we're all in for tough times?!?!?!?!

I've always firmly been in the camp that it doesn't matter which major party runs the show, but worrying signs one day in - the 100 days has also changed to 'reflecting over Xmas' LOL

Winston is channeling his inner Muldoon, and Ardern seems to find it sexy

JJ

Immortal
Which is odd, right?

We've basically known for a year that Winston was going to be the kingmaker...obviously, the demise of Dunne and the Maori party sealed the deal, but that was bloody shortsighted and blind.

Yes and no - Key also tried to rid politics of Peters - and briefly succeeded - regardless of who you support I think last night showed why...better for National to not be a part of it, ultimately I suspect Labour too - they'd likely be much better off letting a tired National have a 4th term, and being in a really strong position next election - at the end of the day nobody actually wanted to work with Peters

Peters is so out of touch it's unbelievable - he thinks it's 1968... more out of touch than National is accused of being

Interesting times - 3 terms is a long haul

Last edited:

Rich102

Staff member
This notion that the Greens need to open themselves up to dealing with the right is rubbish...

They can’t.... the base of that party has come from the Labour Party. When Labour were at their lowest the Greens had taken the majority of those votes.

When Labour started to come back it was the Greens who suffered the most.

If the Greens announce that they are willing to go to the right before an election then they potentially risk not even getting to the 5% threshold.

A new environmental based party can be formed on the right... which could take those Green voters who were happy to go with the right...

But people need to realise that the Green Party base is just as much if not more about social policy as it is environmental policy. And it’s that social justice aspect of that base which will find it almost impossible to work with national.

So if they split that base.... neither of them might make the 5% threshold.

I take your point, and I really wasn't serious.
But correct me if I'm wrong but NZF is to the right of National - reducing immigration, getting rid of the maori seats etc. So Greens are in coalition (or support) with the most right wing of the remaining parties,

Rich102

Staff member
Also NZ First has 9 MP's and will have 4 cabinet ministers. Well over what they should have expected or deserved.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I take your point, and I really wasn't serious.
But correct me if I'm wrong but NZF is to the right of National - reducing immigration, getting rid of the maori seats etc. So Greens are in coalition (or support) with the most right wing of the remaining parties,

They’re a populist party, they don’t sit neatly into the normal left/right paradigm. On economic stuff they’re probably closer to Labour.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Lol, the Greens 1st point of business is a referendum for the stoners ...

Why is that so bad? NZ has an entrenched cannabis use culture but it also has a huge ice problem, decriminalisation of cannabiis would free up a massive amount of money to tackle meth use. And evidence from other countries shows decriminalisation wouldn’t result in a significant usage spike. It would also make medicinal cannabis use much easier to legislate.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Might free up money, but all users of that rubbish have to start somewhere and we will make that easier to come across and more readily available

Not a position I'll ever budge on either tbh, extremely 1 eyed on it as it has had a massive effect on people close to me

Perfect example of why I have no time for the Greens either, first sniff of power and that's all they can come up with