What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- NZ Election

Meth

Staff member
The problem is that they probably haven’t been perceived as having gained results for Maori via that partnership. Issues like housing affordability and child poverty disproportionately affect Maori and have been worsening under the Nats.

Yeah I get that. It's hard to measure their impact though. What would it have looked like for Maori without them at the table? Maori have definitely achieved more than the Mana party have, because they have actually been in a position to do so. If people are dissatisfied with their achievement, that's their right and they've communicated that with their vote. They've swung back to Labour. In all likelihood though, that's going to amount to 3 years of no advocacy at the table- and maybe the abolition of Maori seats?

Reactions: JJ

Meth

Staff member
But ultimately I wanted a change of govt and I couldn't trust that if Hone got in he wouldn't join the Maori party and prop up National.

Which is sad... because I know first hand what Hone does in the local community and although he's often criticised... he's a strong representative of the north.

Couldn't see that happening, to be honest.

However, if you wanted to change the government, I think you voted the right way. Mana was always going to be a wasted vote.

JJ

Immortal
In all likelihood though, that's going to amount to 3 years of no advocacy at the table- and maybe the abolition of Maori seats?

Exactly, Labour have seldom done anything for Maori, and obviously a plank is taxing water, which clearly means claiming ownership.

Being in opposition is a doddle - you get to vent and rage and point fault - suits the Greens and Hone perfectly - the Maori party actually had realistic influence - it might not have been as substantial as would would like, but they did a shitload more than Labour will do...

And Sharples, Turei, Flavell and Fox - well, those are the sorts of people I like to see in government...

Rich102

Staff member
I guess to take it a step further you have to ask what have the tribes, those who have had settlements, done with them. Surely that money should have been utilised to create jobs for unemployed maori, or training schemes or low interest housing loans. Have any of the benefits of the Treaty claims trickled down to grass roots?

It's all very well saying the government should be doing more for maori but just giving them money isn't the answer.

And I am afraid that teaching Te Reo as a compulsory subject in schools is just plain stupid. (In my opinion.)

shiznit

Coach
I guess to take it a step further you have to ask what have the tribes, those who have had settlements, done with them. Surely that money should have been utilised to create jobs for unemployed maori, or training schemes or low interest housing loans. Have any of the benefits of the Treaty claims trickled down to grass roots?

It's all very well saying the government should be doing more for maori but just giving them money isn't the answer.

And I am afraid that teaching Te Reo as a compulsory subject in schools is just plain stupid. (In my opinion.)
As far as I know Ngai Tahu and Tanui have done a lot with their settlements... they've diversified and made much more from it... and pumped it back into social services in each region...

The issue with settlements is they aren't all settled... I know first hand Ngapuhi has a stalemate at the moment because of battles within the iwi.

The reo in schools thing I'd need to know more about.... all my kids are in total immersion school(kura kaupapa) and early childhood(Kohanga) so it wouldn't make any difference for us...

I know my eldest in Kura is doing english which is obviously so she doesn't fall behind mainstream.... but she's also doing Spanish... which they try and push because apparently once you master a 2nd language mastering further languages becomes really easy.

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Te Reo is one of New Zealand's official languages. If so, it should be taught in school.

Personally, I don't want to lose our language or character- and I'd love for Kiwis to speak (and correctly pronounce) more Te Reo

Leber

Bench
Te reo is already compulsory in primary schools, compulsory in year 9 by most high schools and is offered as a subject you can choose to take from year 10 onwards.

Anything more than the status quo is an overkill. It's already hard enough to fit it in an overloaded curriculum.

shiznit

Coach
Te reo is already compulsory in primary schools, compulsory in year 9 by most high schools and is offered as a subject you can choose to take from year 10 onwards.

Anything more than the status quo is an overkill. It's already hard enough to fit it in an overloaded curriculum.
Yeah that's pretty much what I remember it was when I went through school...

And TBH i don't have an issue with that...

IMO that should be enough if you have uniform and effective planning.... I don't think the aim should be to force kids to be fluent in the language.

I think as long as your teaching a basic understanding around pronunciation of words and names that's all you can ask for.

If they want to go on and study the language in more depth obviously they can have it as an option in high school.

I think an area which I'd like too see an emphasis from a Maori perspective would be Maori history... but not specifically in a Maori subject... but in general NZ history.

We have some great stories and legends in our history both Maori and Pakeha... but for some reason when I was at school I spent too much time learning about the history of other countries.

I think the kids would greatly benefit from our countries rich history...

Meth

Staff member
Yeah I am not necessarily advocating for a heavier emphasis on Te Reo in schools. I would like to see (and happily, see) a greater appreciation for Te Reo in wider society.

Rich102

Staff member
Yep. And to this end it would be good if Maori TV ran a "Learn basic Reo" series. Half an hour each week.

ozbash

Referee
The problem is that they probably haven’t been perceived as having gained results for Maori via that partnership. Issues like housing affordability and child poverty disproportionately affect Maori and have been worsening under the Nats.

Do you think it would've been any better under Labour ?

JJ

Immortal
With their stance as Labour's lackey and not willing to at least talk to National, the Greens have condemned themselves to irrelevance again - they have no leverage, if they had half a brain they'd at least feign an interest in supporting National

Their current position means Labour and NZ First don't need to give a shit about them - which is fine as both have clearly demonstrated they don't - and they won't talk to National - best they can hope for is a change of Govt with them supporting in confidence - no policy etc If they talked to National at least Labour and NZ First would have to include them in discussions...

Leber

Bench
5.9% of the country have done nz a massive disservice by voting for the greens.

Very disappointed they are still in parliament.

I don't like Winnie, but I'd rather him in government than the greens.

JJ

Immortal
Doubt they'll be in Govt they'll be marginalised as usual

Been a while and they've achieved f**k all, literally nothing

Contrast with the Maori party who achieved a lot and then were shafted by what can only be described as fickle Dumb arse voters. Yet as you say 5% vote for a party who literally provide nothing other than shouting from the sidelines

Rich102

Staff member
That's a bit harsh.
Their caucus singing is mildly amusing and, I imagine, when Taco was there, quite a buzz.

Reactions: JJ

Juju

Juniors
That's a bit harsh.
Their caucus singing is mildly amusing and, I imagine, when Taco was there, quite a buzz.
Paula Bennetts singing is quite a buzz too.

JJ, list the Maori Party's major achievement's in government for us?

And if the Greens are such a terrible party why do both National and Labour both end up adopting/stealing Green party policies eventually. (ps I'm not a Green voter).

Nobody here is giving any detail to why they don't like the Greens - help me understand...

JJ

Immortal
http://www.maoriparty.org/our_achievements

Plenty of stuff - I would love the Greens to be a constructive part of a Govt - but they've hemmed themselves in a corner where Adern and Peters, or indeed English and Peters both make them irrelevant

All parties have environment policies, the Greens will never govern so should look to influence whoever does - they need not position themselves on the extreme left imo

It's not that I don't like them, it's that they continue to be irrelevant - I'd happily vote for a pragmatic centrist Greens party