What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - Overrated Bands

Frank Facer

First Grade
John Lennon was no Jesus Christ
Lennon actually had an acid trip once and believed that he was Jesus Christ. the next day, he even rang up many of his close friends to tell them about. He told them that he wasn't going tell the public yet.

I am a big Lennon fan. He would probably be my second favourite song writer after Bob Dylan.

The Damo

Juniors
I agree with you that U2 are over rated. I have been saying it for a very long time too. A few of my mates were big U2 fans in the 80's and 90's. I even tried to get into them, but never did.

Personally the best rock music came out between 65 to the early 80's at the latest. It peaked between 67 to 71. Other over rated bands would be

Guns and Roses
Nirvana
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Doors/Jim Morrison
Wham
Culture Club
Metallica
Oasis

My top rated bands would be

Led Zeppelin
AC/DC with Bon Scott
Beatles
Jimi Hendrix Experience/Band Of Gypsies
Moody Blues
Crosby Stills Nash and Young
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Police
Dire Straits
The Eagles? I refer you to The Dude.

Zeppelin, Beatles, Hendrix and the Stones are all amazingly good over multiple albums.

Guns and Roses have one amazing album though.
And Nirvana’s Nevermind is about as good and influential as any album you care to name. The chilli peppers stuff since Californication is ok, but Freaky styley, uplift mofo party plan, blood sugar sex magik and Californication are all standouts that can match stuff from any era.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I included Culture Club in my list of over rated bands too. I then read you comment and had a good laugh. I only included Culture Club and Wham out of jest. For all those who don't know, Boy George's band in the 80's was called Culture Club. They were pretty big at one stage too. lol I didn't get it then and I don't still don't get it, that could be a good thing. lol

I forgot the Kinks and the Beach Boys. I rate them too. The Beach Boys were one of my first favourite bands. Do you know the Beach Boys couldn't surf?

Only Dennis Wilson could surf.
I’ve been a B.B. tragic for 40 odd years.
I prefer more of their less commercial music. I’ve closely followed their life story from day 1 till now, predominantly Brian Wilson and his life events.
Their non official biography leaves Days of Our Lives etc for dead. The record companies, the deals, the spendings would blow people’s minds. It’s a marvellous read.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I agree with you that U2 are over rated. I have been saying it for a very long time too. A few of my mates were big U2 fans in the 80's and 90's. I even tried to get into them, but never did.

Personally the best rock music came out between 65 to the early 80's at the latest. It peaked between 67 to 71. Other over rated bands would be

Guns and Roses
Nirvana
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Doors/Jim Morrison
Wham
Culture Club
Metallica
Oasis

My top rated bands would be

Led Zeppelin
AC/DC with Bon Scott
Beatles
Jimi Hendrix Experience/Band Of Gypsies
Moody Blues
Crosby Stills Nash and Young
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
Fleetwood Mac
Eagles
Police
Dire Straits

Well done FF, basically, all your top bands are also my favourite bands.
Pink Floyd and Straits, love em.

My 4 favourite guitarists of all time....

Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler
Carlos Santana
David Gilmore

LINESPEED

Juniors
U2 just came on the radio. I cringed and changed the station before I realised what I was doing.

Bono was interviewed talking about what a great guitarist The Edge is, and how he revolutionised guitar.

What a load of bollocks. As far as I'm concerned U2 is just another overhyped pop band. But for some reason people fawn over them. I just don't get it, and I don't imagine I ever will.

Any other suggestions for overrated bands?

Heavy Metal & Coalplay down Wollongong way narked McJetski

Only Dennis Wilson could surf.
I’ve been a B.B. tragic for 40 odd years.
I prefer more of their less commercial music. I’ve closely followed their life story from day 1 till now, predominantly Brian Wilson and his life events.
Their non official biography leaves Days of Our Lives etc for dead. The record companies, the deals, the spendings would blow people’s minds. It’s a marvellous read.
Try this one, known as the fifth Beatle and the shakespeare of rock.

FlameThrower

Bench
Well done FF, basically, all your top bands are also my favourite bands.
Pink Floyd and Straits, love em.

My 4 favourite guitarists of all time....

Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler
Carlos Santana
David Gilmore
Agree on all of the above except Santana I find his style repetitive especially those duets he has done over the last decade.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
U2 and Oasis for me. Never really liked them and couldn't understand the hype.

BTW

Have we started the offseason threads already? The writing is on the wall for 2019 anyway so why not I guess

dannyt

Coach
U2 and Oasis for me. Never really liked them and couldn't understand the hype.

BTW

Have we started the offseason threads already? The writing is on the wall for 2019 anyway so why not I guess
Seems like we have decided to not invest too much into this year!

Yeah mate I am .. along with Purple / Rainbow / Sabbath :)
Purple ,Sabbath, Zeppelin have been my big three for years .With the capability's in the modern world, to listen to all most any band from any era .I have discoverd Ten years after. James gang ,Rory Gallagher and bands like Mountain. Which leaves a lot of modern bands for dead.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think Off Topic threads are good for forum. Sometimes we can get a bit carried away with what’s happening but threads like these allow us to cool down and chew the fat without getting flustered.

We still have the passion though.
Stop being such an apologist :wink: