What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ot- qantas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Wowsers that little Irishman is a stubborn little f**kker. Hopefully nobody on here is affected.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Yep.

Never let a union negotiate your contract or better still don't bite the hand that feeds you

Frailty

First Grade
Unions Reefy...

There a three different unions...

Ground staff, Engineers, and Pilots...
How dare they ask for their wages to increase with legislation.

It isn't as 'realistic' as 70% increase for the CEO.

Smart move and ballsy at that. Joyce knows FWA will order him to cease his action but methinks with the enforced proviso that the unions can not undertake any further action also. Not a coincidence that joyce has started his action on the weekend when there are less flights and he well knows he will be ordered to cease action before the weekday business flights begin.
The unions will be sheeting bricks. Love how they say how dare Joyce inconvenience travellers and workers when that is exactly what they have been doing most weeks. Will be intersting to sit back and watch this one.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Seriously does this(or when the decision gets handed down by FWA) just prove unions are a complete waste of time and money for workers?

Quite simply FWA override them! These union mobs might be worse off then the Qantas workers

DJShaksta

First Grade
It's a joke. Joyce should resign immediately.

How can he vote to give himself a 71% pay increase but deny workers a 3% increase.
Hypocrisy at its best.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Yeah that pay increase is a joke for Joyce.

My brother in law works for virgin. He tells me they(baggage handlers) are on a 15% LESS hourly rate then Qantas. He also told me their latest EBA they fought for a 3% increase each year for 3 years. Virgin pretty much laughed at them. They offered them a 1% increase each year. Apparently Virgin have very little workers in the union hence why they got shafted. Moral of the story is Qantas workers are using bully tactics whilst being greedy at the same time.

It's funny how Virgin look like the good guys in this whole debacle. Virgin staff will tell you otherwise,

Megalodon

Juniors
There needs to be checks, balances and protection in any contract for all parties entering into that contract.

That applies to all agreements entered into including employment contracts.

The harsh reality of the situation is that the terms and conditions of YOUR employment were fought hard and long for by the trade union movement.

Trying to deride trade unionism at this point in time is as stupid as saying women should not have the right to vote because a bunch of ratbag extremists decide to take everything too far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=184NTV2CE_c

Megalodon

Juniors
Im self employed thanks

Are you?

Really???

There is no such thing.

Unless you've got a hobby that you're magnanimously paid for each and every person who coughs up their dollars for your services is your boss and sees you as their bitch.

spider

Coach
and we once travelled by horse and cart - times change, leave unions where they belong - in the past

DJShaksta

First Grade
Yeah that pay increase is a joke for Joyce.

My brother in law works for virgin. He tells me they(baggage handlers) are on a 15% LESS hourly rate then Qantas. He also told me their latest EBA they fought for a 3% increase each year for 3 years. Virgin pretty much laughed at them. They offered them a 1% increase each year. Apparently Virgin have very little workers in the union hence why they got shafted. Moral of the story is Qantas workers are using bully tactics whilst being greedy at the same time.

It's funny how Virgin look like the good guys in this whole debacle. Virgin staff will tell you otherwise,

Snoop, I worked at qantas for 14 years. For 8 of those years I was an engineer and saw time and time again come EBA time saw the company trot out doom and gloom speeches regarding profits when we say to negotiate. We fight tooth and nail to get even a 2% increase. Still less than CPI and mile less than the bonus and increases the board would award themselves every year.

Also I'd love to know where the media get their figures for minimum wage for engineers out there. They ate throwing out figures like $100k??? I was a 2 type E & I LAME and I was nowhere near $100k. Minimum wage would be closer to 50k for a base level tradesman.

Windy70

Juniors
I can see both sides, but I am not a fan of unions, have refused to be a member my whole life. Makes no sense to say "we want more money" so "let's cripple the company and make them lose money".

Just stupid.

DJShaksta

First Grade
I can see what you're saying Windy but consider this:
When I moved from Engineering to Flight Ops in 2002 I went onto a Senior Prefessional award, no unions. In my new award was payrises above CPI every year plus perfomance bonuses.
The company is clearly for the office worker and not the maintanence crews who maintain the safety of the aircraft, well they did before all the major maint was shipped offshore under Dixon.
Dixon was just as bad as Joyce if not worse, he systematically pulled the airline apart and sold off bits to ensure he made profits every year. Then would pat himself on the back, outsource more work overseas and give himself a huge bonus.

When Dixon retired he took a $70Mil payout plus more in shares.
The engineers want 3%, hardly seems fair does it.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Not sure of the facts in this one. Not wanting to defend Joyce at all but I suspect the pay rise was part of his contract and already priced into the business for the remainder of his tenure. The Board and shareholders would be rubber stamping it only. The EBA though is setting the scene for the next however many years and isn't as yet priced in. Labour along with fuel is historically the largest portion of airline expenses. In main line Qantas it is probably combined at least 60% of total costs (conservative estimate). Again not wanting to defend Dixon either but from my vantage point I'm not sure Qanstas would be around in its current state had he not taken some of the action he had. International carriers like Singapore that are quasi backed by the Singapore govt investment arm would love to get in at fire sale rates. I mean to say they are happy to take losses with Tiger to remain in the Aussie market. Tiger were losing less money when they were grounded than they were immediately prior. A weak Qantas would be very juicy indeed. As always the devil is in the detail that none of us have. If it were just a CPI increase they were after which is entirely reasonable then why is it being knocked back? Lots more to the story all. Stay tuned

Status
Not open for further replies.