What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Remember Peter Mulholland?

Slackboy72

Coach
Here he is complaining about how hard recruitment is for Canberra.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-...truggle-to-get-top-nrl-player-to-join/9829302
"[Signing stars] was never a struggle back in the late 80s, it was never a struggle in the 90s," the club's head of recruitment, Peter Mulholland, said.

"I think perhaps we lost a little bit of our direction. A lot of things are easy when you've had success."

And success appeared to be returning with a second-placed finish and preliminary final appearance in 2016, but otherwise they have a 34-50 win-loss record in the other three-and-a-half seasons.

Mullholland said the club uses coach Ricky Stuart and the area itself as major selling points in pitch meetings.

According to Mullholland, they are in the process of "re-establishing" their presence in the area and it has led to a relatively bountiful harvest of local talent. Reigning rookie of the year and Canberra native Nick Cotric has always wanted to be in green, and captain Jarrod Croker, Jack Wighton and Shannon Boyd were all born in and around the ACT.

"A lot of people associate Canberra with a country town," he said.

"It's a lot easier in a lot of ways to bring players from country areas into that system. It's a lot easier town to adapt to."

You made your bed Pete.

mobels

Juniors
I remember the outrage on here when we let him go and signed Millward.

Meanwhile we've made the biggest signings the club has made since Bennett came and Canberra lost both there starting props and have had huge salary cap issues.

Goes to show that the club made the right decision.

Crush

Coach

Meanwhile we've made the biggest signings the club has made since Bennett came and Canberra lost both there starting props and have had huge salary cap issues.

Mobels! This is the first time in 2 years I have seen another member praise the club for anything!
Good for you mate!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mullholland? Wasn't he the Western Reds' first coach and ended up getting the flick due to poor results?

Sounds like same experience Saints had of him a few years ago.

Life's Good

Coach
Mullholland? Wasn't he the Western Reds' first coach and ended up getting the flick due to poor results?

Sounds like same experience Saints had of him a few years ago.
He was. And they beat us in their very first game in 95. Jeff Doyle punched more holes in our defence than what you would find in Swiss cheese.

KiamaSaint

Coach
No doubt Ian has done a fantastic job but so did Peter. We were in a deep, deep salary cap hole before he cleaned it up.

watatank

Coach
What notable signings did Mulholland make for us?

Russel Packer. Ah Mau was also signed long term before he got the recognition he is getting now. Fan favourite Kurt Mann is another one.

Millward is doing well for us but I think he is really just doing what Mullholland would be doing if he was still here.

Latest posts