What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT. The Panthers.

M2D2

Bench
I have a soft spot for the panthers. One of my good mates is a panthers member and he takes me for free (cause he doesnt want to go alone) to most panthers games. So some years im at Penrith maybe 1 or 2 less games a year than Shark Park.
But over the years ive noticed something rotting out there, and no i dont mean the sewage building just outside that always stinks.
They have gotten ridden of their best players to multiple clubs over the years, weve been lucky with a few. (Maybe its justice after Preston/lang.)
Any player that ever develops there to a point where they become the captain and have some power within the player/coaching structure is removed if they ever clash with what baron greenback(Gus) wills and demands.
He even got rid of the best coach they have had since Lang and replaced him with the current useless coach.
Im not sure how feasible this is if the goal is to win in October.

1. if you constantly get rid of your best players when they just about to hit their peak for someone younger less experienced, issues will arise.
2. Coaches tend to be either good man managers or good game plan strategists (in some cases good to great at both) Hook is neither, his penchant is just to give young guys a run to see if they are good or not.

I cant see how these guys will win over the next few years until something changes out there in the back of house.
Just like we needed change after alot of our shit.

What do you guys think?

P.S. Hi Luke & Lukes brother, who is also named Luke...

I guess it makes for an interesting case study in organisational management, if that's your thing. Lots of factors at play, egos, huberis of CEOs wanting complete control and not tolerating dissent. Another factor is the matter of managing finances and hedging your bets on whether to hold onto or cut seasoned players who demand more $$s in favour of youth.

M2D2

Bench
I guess it makes for an interesting case study in organisational management, if that's your thing. Lots of factors at play, egos, huberis of CEOs wanting complete control and not tolerating dissent. Another factor is the matter of managing finances and hedging your bets on whether to hold onto or cut seasoned players who demand more $$s in favour of youth.
i find it interesting that it keeps on happening out there and they havent clued onto it yet that it might not be a good strategy.
And considering the rumour is that Gus wants Des when hook fails.
That place will get interesting soon.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Study the panther.

Solitary animals who dont play well with others

They are well named

Card Shark

Immortal
Sign of the times.

If you you’re a highly paid young sportsman, do you want to live way out west or where the action is?

Going to help our recruitment forever I reckon.

YTSharks

Juniors
The trial result for them this weekend is something that they need to look at.
Of course, it’s a trial and the only thing you want from them is no injuries. However, the were only missing a few from their full strength team and got beat by a reserve grade dogs team. I didn’t watch the game, but from what I’ve read, Gus was far from happy.
I hope what ever they need to sort out gets sorted out soon, because if it’s something with the coach, they’re putting a potential premiership threatening year on the line keeping him there

Stake Removed

First Grade
Gus and Des my god what a combo, and how Des loves to handle the cap, that better be a 1-2 season plan.

I always remembering hearing that Panthers Leagues basically dont care if Panthers in NRL or not, as no team means more car parking for patrons, that attitude may have changed now

Inferno

Coach
It's pretty diabolical given they have one of the biggest juniors nurseries in the country.

I don't think anyone can say they're any closer to a premiership than they were 5 years ago.

snout

First Grade
Gus is the coach. Pure and simple.

Griffin is there for pressos. He knew that when he came. Only way he got anotber gig in the NRL.

Sallys ex confirmed it last nite on 360. Griffin stands on the sideline while Gus runs drills.

How embarrassing.

Thats why guys like Moylan and co are falling out with Hook as they know hes a nobody at the club yet he hands out discipline like he is the head coach.

Gus has created 5 years of failure.

Good plan moron.

M2D2

Bench
Gus is the coach. Pure and simple.

Griffin is there for pressos. He knew that when he came. Only way he got anotber gig in the NRL.

Sallys ex confirmed it last nite on 360. Griffin stands on the sideline while Gus runs drills.

How embarrassing.

Thats why guys like Moylan and co are falling out with Hook as they know hes a nobody at the club yet he hands out discipline like he is the head coach.

Gus has created 5 years of failure.

Good plan moron.
Tts long been rumoured. Dont think its as much as you say.
But gus is doing something.

carcharias

Immortal
It's pretty diabolical given they have one of the biggest juniors nurseries in the country.

I don't think anyone can say they're any closer to a premiership than they were 5 years ago.
They’re further away than what they were 2 years ago

RUBIKS

Juniors
1. if you constantly get rid of your best players when they just about to hit their peak for someone younger less experienced, issues will arise.
I don't particularly think it's the promotion of their younger players that's the problem. It's investing big in over-hyped plodders like Merrin and Tamou. Also, signing the younger guys to long 5 year contracts seems to be a bit of an issue as well.

Study the panther.

Solitary animals who dont play well with others

They are well named
Good point, they are well named. Study the panther... the animal is a myth... they are just black Leopards or Jaguars...

They’re further away than what they were 2 years ago

I agree with this.

The talk from their camp is Maloney is what they have needed and he is the missing piece of the puzzle.

He’ll give them some good direction but he won’t bring them a trophy now. Maloney of two years ago maybe but not now.

As much as Moylan and Carty were seen as distractions at the Club they definitely provided creativity, variety and points. They will definitely miss this aspect as the season goes on. As well as being mentally soft. They lack that mongrel to get down and dirty with some teams and everyone knows get physical against them like the Stains did to them in Round 1 last season and they roll over in the foetal position.

M2D2

Bench
I don't particularly think it's the promotion of their younger players that's the problem. It's investing big in over-hyped plodders like Merrin and Tamou. Also, signing the younger guys to long 5 year contracts seems to be a bit of an issue as well.
Yeah, both were bad buys. I understand the catchment area isnt GREAT when it comes to FRF's.
But if you ever watch the panthers anyway, they go side to side to get ball to their backline the moment they hit the 30 meter line, so spending so much on forwards is a big mistake.
I also have NO idea what their fascination with the 5 year contact is.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Produce some the best players, juniors always strong. Good for us they are currently not contenders.

Fish stinks from the head down.

M2D2

Bench
Lewis left because his player power was removed, stripped of captaincy, so he was forced to leave.
Had nothing to do with the cap. Go look it up man.

The culture at the Panthers seems to be: if you're a junior and you're good enough you will get a run in Firsts. After that you will get picked up by another club and win a premiership at the new club ala Jennings, Lewis, Graham and Coote.
It didnt used to be like that, especially when they stacked their side with ex-Sharks- Lang/Lang, Presto, Greenhill and the centre with the head gear, Bell wasnt it? Doesn't matter, point being they have the stench of death surrounding their club at the moment. Which is a shame, because of our unique bond of entering the comp at the same time I've always felt like we were kind of brother-clubs.
I sincerely hope they clean their mess up, unfortunately it may not happen until they rid themselves of the Shire dwelling, Gould.