What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - User name & Pic

Great post LG.

I chose Pat Jarvis.
There were so many players that made an impression on me as a youngster, but Pat was tough and raw and gave it everything.

I remember bumping into Pat at Tigers home game. I would have been about 10 years old, I was waiting in line to buy a pie and a coke. A bloke said to me 'how're you going' and 'up the Dragons' it was Pat.

I couldn't talk. I walked back to my dad and he sensed something was wrong. He said 'are you alright?' I responded with something like 'he talked to me.... Pat Jarvis talked to me'. Dad laughed.

My son was recently like me when we met the players. Packer was his favourite.

Life's Good

Coach
Great post LG.

I chose Pat Jarvis.
There were so many players that made an impression on me as a youngster, but Pat was tough and raw and gave it everything.

I remember bumping into Pat at Tigers home game. I would have been about 10 years old, I was waiting in line to buy a pie and a coke. A bloke said to me 'how're you going' and 'up the Dragons' it was Pat.

I couldn't talk. I walked back to my dad and he sensed something was wrong. He said 'are you alright?' I responded with something like 'he talked to me.... Pat Jarvis talked to me'. Dad laughed.

Another great story mate. My earliest league years were the very early 80's and Pat Jarvis along with Steve Morris were 2 of the first Dragons player I came to know and players I made sure of getting the Scanlen gum & cards with my pocket money.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Great post LG.

I chose Pat Jarvis.

I was a Pat Jarvis fan too. My mate and I even made a Jarvis sign to hang over the fence at Saints games in the mid 1980's.

tevoro

First Grade
tevoro - translates to Ghost in Fijian.
Originates from my Counter strike gaming days. I used to be one of the first fools to die in the game and spent the rest of the game "hovering" around - like a ghost.

Pic - Clash of clan's clan Hashtag/Logo.

blacksafake

First Grade
Great post LG.

I chose Pat Jarvis.

I see Pat quite often in my line of work & he is a decent bloke who will always give his team mates a wrap instead of big noting himself.Still as fit as except for his knees.

dannyt

Coach
1977 Grand final I was there and the reply game....brings back memories from my childhood.
1979 was also a good year but 77 was special for me and my dad.
Every year since 2010 I wish and hope that I can change my Avatar and name to 2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017Dragons but I'll have to wait another year....
If reports of our coaching stock for the next couple of years remain the same, you may call yourself 2019Dragons.

Here's hoping that we don't wait until "2020" to have the "hindsight" to get rid of mary now!

Old Timer

Coach
Not sure where to post this but thought here is probably appropriate.
Well this is my 5,000th post quite hard to believe really.
When I first came to the forum I thought it would be short lived but it has been fascinating to say the least.
I have thought about what I should post and that has had me in several minds, so I have decided to just make a general observation.
Most in here would know I am a very opinionated and at times argumentative poster but people would also recognise I do have a deep love for St George but not withstanding that it is time to be brutally honest with myself.
I think that my beloved St George Dragons began to die back in the mid 90's when the Superleague fiasco started and St George actually died when the shot gun wedding took place with Illawarra.
In hindsight I think the jumper and emblem should have been retired and the new venture should have been forced to create its own identity.
So much heritage at St George and to say that it now belongs to a forced joint venture is actually IMO quite wrong.
The joint venture is neither nor in respect of the 2 former clubs, it is very much its own entity and should be therefore treated as such.
I have often been critical of this new club and IMHO correctly so but I have mistakenly premised much of that criticism on what previously happened at St George especially in its hey day.
Any blame or criticism levelled at the new club should be recognised as being of its own making and is only relevant to the time since the joint venture was formed and any references to pre the joint venture are probably meaningless.
St George doesn't exist anymore and what we have is a pale imitation.
Often the threads we have, the players that are rumoured to be coming and the results we achieve are IMO testimony to that fact.
Some of the pie eater players people get excited about could never have come to the once great St George club let alone the clowns in the coaching department but they are well suited to and well entrenched in this new entity referred to as St GI.
I will enjoy the off season looking at youtube of the golden era of St George and will again re read all my books about the great club.
Next year I will probably post a lot less but will still look to see how the new club is going but to be brutally honest can never feel the same way as I did growing up.
Being both a curmudgeon and an Old Timer I will probably spend time analysing why we didn't go down the Norther Eagles route.
No doubt I will pop in from time to time and I take this opportunity to wish you all well as you work out where to from here for the club.
Last but not least I was incredibly lucky to live through the great times for St George and hold that very dear (lots of great memories) and my time in here has helped me to realise that moment is yet to arrive for the people that really only know St GI and you are just entitled to your passion and heritage as I was to mine.

sa1nt5

Juniors
mine was the only one left that described the passion I have for this club an avatar I will add when I find a good close up of Ricky Walford as for OT's post above, for me it always was always will be St George I see it the same as manly warringah or canterbury bankstown nobody calls them warringah or bankstown just as no one calls us Illawarra WE ARE St George. The famous REDV. I am from Cairns in FNQ but moved to the Gong for 2 years just so I could go to every game. I just wish some of the players that wear that special jersey had/have the love that I and a lot of you have for it. Nathan Brown and Wayne Bartrim signed a jersey for me and I framed that f*&#er and none could touch it. sometimes I get tears in my eyes when we run on the field in a finals game. I love St George and that will never fade. I was watching a Dragons game in Hervey bay at a pub owned by Mal Meninga a call went against us and I might have lost it a bit and he dead set came up to me and said "settle down it's just a game" I told him to piss off and I bet he still remembers it, hopefully it is a regret he has. he did go back behind the bar and let me watch the rest of the game, and I was as vocal as before :D

sa1nt5

Juniors
I would also like to add that there was Pub in Innisfail that was a dead set shrine to our club like a museum with jersey's signed by the greats nearly all of them. it had pennants, boots, balls all the photo's from nearly every era it was a sight to behold but alas it got blown away memorabilia and all by Cyclone larry back in the early '00 RIP