What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Other Regional Super League options

siv

First Grade
I really like the direction that the Balkans SL is headed

Its a smallish geographic area like working as one unit

Where else could this work ?

I kept thinking this structure would suit
- a island group in the Pacific
- maybe SE asia
- Nordic area

roughyedspud

Coach
Its something I've proposed for years..4-6 teams from each nation to satisfy RLIF/RLEF requirements while also creating a competition with a worthwhile number of teams

Belgium & Holland - Benelux super league
Germany & Czech rep - dunno league
Spain & Italy joining the French lower leagues - med league
Scotlands 4 teams joining the English north east or Cumbrian league
USA & Canada - north American super league..

You get the gist

Evil Homer

Staff member
There was a Benelux league involving Belgium and Holland in 2016, but the Belgians were kicked out for not pulling their weight.

Sweden and Denmark also had a combined league but it ended when Denmark RL faltered and was unable to field teams.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
I really like the direction that the Balkans SL is headed

Its a smallish geographic area like working as one unit

Where else could this work ?

I kept thinking this structure would suit
- a island group in the Pacific
- maybe SE asia
- Nordic area
Nordic and Pacific.

deluded pom?

Coach
Its something I've proposed for years..4-6 teams from each nation to satisfy RLIF/RLEF requirements while also creating a competition with a worthwhile number of teams

You get the gist
It depends where in the country the teams are based. Germany is a big country so simply saying the Czechs should link up just because it shares a border would be pointless if the German teams are mainly in the north west. It would then make more sense for those German teams to link up with the Dutch and possibly the Belgians (if they came back). You get the gist.

yakstorm

First Grade
I feel if other areas are going to try and mimic the Balkan Super League, they need some sort of anchor league just to hold it all together.

Unfortunately it's just significantly harder for two emerging leagues to maintain these joint competitions.

As such, Scotland playing with clubs from Cumbria or England's North-East makes sense, or something where certain French clubs play against Spain or Italian clubs also works.

Possibly could try and do something out near Russia with the likes of Latvia / Estonia / Ukraine as well, although none of them are really at anchor level

Reactions: siv

bowes

Juniors

You get the gist
What 4 Scottish teams?