What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Finals Chances.

OldPanther

Coach
So now that Dragons have Won and they have the easiest draw known to sport I don't think we get past them. The Eels are up next and they only need 3 the commentary said. I have a sinking feeling about this year. Do people think we can make the finals still?

TheFrog

Coach
Lol. We will lose a couple of easy games and miss out. We dont deserve to be there.
We deserve to be exactly where we are.

The Cowboys and Manly worry me. Even with a loss Manly showed they can put on points and Cows are pretty good even without JT.

The Cows are a no-frills side that grinds its way to wins up the middle. This is how they got us in Townsville with 58% of the ball, one of our best defensive performances of the season IMHO but we dropped far too much ball. They invariably have a very high completion rate but without Thurston they lack flair, which I think will find them out against the good sides.

We nearly got them in Townsville, we are entitled to feel confident against them in Penrith.

Manly are in a slump now, but things will be different at Lalaland in over a months time.

And finally, the Dragons may not play like today for the next 6 weeks.

Last edited:

roofromoz

First Grade
A Tigers win will help as the Eels have a minus F/A, but that's as likely to happen as a send off ever happening again.

Manly & Cowboys actually have pretty tough runs home.

Manly plays Storm & Roosters next two weeks, also have to travel to NZ.

Cowboys also plays Roosters & Storm in the next two weeks, plus also play the Sharks & Broncos.

And we play both of these teams.

If we can beat one of them, particularly Manly, I think we'll make the 8. We also play the dragons which is advantageous.

Dragons & Eels are a good shot for 5&6th spots.

OldPanther

Coach
Manly & Cowboys actually have pretty tough runs home.

Manly plays Storm & Roosters next two weeks, also have to travel to NZ.

Cowboys also plays Roosters & Storm in the next two weeks, plus also play the Sharks & Broncos.

And we play both of these teams.

If we can beat one of them, particularly Manly, I think we'll make the 8. We also play the dragons which is advantageous.

Dragons & Eels are a good shot for 5&6th spots.

That Cowboys one looks most likely. A tough draw and we play them is juicy.

TheFrog

Coach
I hope you're right. Is that enough though.
Never has a team winning 13 and losing 11 failed to make the 8-team finals in a 16 team comp. That equates to 30 points. 28 has not been enough a couple of times since 2007.

So I would suggest we can afford 2 losses from the final 6.

Last edited:

pantherz9103

First Grade
3 surely won't be enough now. We need to win at least 4 of our last 6 I think to make the 8. We probably need to win 5 to make absolutely sure. This is because of how ordinary some of the lower teams are, they just aren't taking points off the teams in the 8.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Never has a team winning 13 and losing 11 failed to make the 8-team finals in a 16 team comp. That equates to 30 points. 28 has not been enough a couple of times since 2007.

So I would suggest we can afford 2 losses from the final 6.

Interesting to see though that the Canberra Raiders missed the finals in the 17 team comp of 1999, with 13 wins, 1 draw and 10 losses. Could even 32 be the cut off?....

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-1999/summary.html

That Cowboys one looks most likely. A tough draw and we play them is juicy.

Problem is they really can't win anymore than 2 games if we're a chance of jumping them.

3 would get them to 34 points, we'd need to win every game to get to 34.

We're a decent chance of jumping Manly though imo.

OldPanther

Coach
Problem is they really can't win anymore than 2 games if we're a chance of jumping them.

3 would get them to 34 points, we'd need to win every game to get to 34.

We're a decent chance of jumping Manly though imo.

So we are aiming to go ahead of either:

Manly(26 points +57 F/A), Eels(26 points -18 F/A), Dragons(24 points +82 F/A)

6 games left and 12 possible points.