What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Finals Chances.

GongPanther

Referee
We're a serious shot of that 4th spot really. We can beat Manly at brookvale on this form.

Toughest obstacle is the roosters beating the sharks. And hoping the sharks don't blow out the knights.
Can't see Parra beating Brisbane.And Souths are playing some good football well enough to get the Eels.

But whatever happens,it's still unfinished business for us until we get the Dragons next week.

tripster

Juniors
Can't see Parra beating Brisbane.And Souths are playing some good football well enough to get the Eels.

But whatever happens,it's still unfinished business for us until we get the Dragons next week.

True. Crazy to think that if we lose our next two games, we could still miss the eight.

MrBlack

Juniors
We are all guilty of being our own super coaches.

Hell, I wanted to drop Edwards and put Moylan back to fullback at one stage.....

You have to admit - Griffin has got it right in the end. Horrible start to the year, but Griffin was always quite confident.

Still a chance for top 4 as well!! Saints and Manly are wobbling and ready to be put away by us.

franklin2323

Immortal

Hell, I wanted to drop Edwards and put Moylan back to fullback at one stage.....

You have to admit - Griffin has got it right in the end. Horrible start to the year, but Griffin was always quite confident.

Still a chance for top 4 as well!! Saints and Manly are wobbling and ready to be put away by us.

Still too early to be proven right or wrong with that I am sure the Storm and others will test them out. ATM going well so hard tp argue with results

OldPanther

Coach
Like many. You underestimated how difficult it is to go on a long winning run in this comp

I was more being pessimistic about ourselves. Regardless of who was at fault we just seemed hopeless and I was getting ready for next year. What I didn't foresee was Brandy fixing our attack and Griffin fixing the defence.

He got it right in the end..

A fair while after a heap of fans were calling for it. I can't give him much credit for obvious selections tbh. Moylan should've at minimum started the season at 5/8 with Edwards at the back.

Still too early to be proven right or wrong with that I am sure the Storm and others will test them out. ATM going well so hard tp argue with results

It's not too early to say it's an improvement though.

Will it be a long term success? Harder to tell. But it's clearly better than what we had before.

franklin2323

Immortal
It's not too early to say it's an improvement though.

Will it be a long term success? Harder to tell. But it's clearly better than what we had before.

2nd year syndrome, playing injured etc is our biggest tests next year. Edwards is a half so can get involved more, Moylan can straighten up more. If Peachey stays centre can pass more so still have plenty to keep the team evolving

franklin2323

Immortal
I was more being pessimistic about ourselves. Regardless of who was at fault we just seemed hopeless and I was getting ready for next year. What I didn't foresee was Brandy fixing our attack and Griffin fixing the defence.

But we had the talent. It was just the players working hard to get to their level. That happened on our last winning streak this winning streak was the coaching for all involved really rising. It was never just one side to blame but a combination of things

maple_69

Bench
My assessment is that last season we rode a wave of hot form to a solid season/finals campaign. As it turned out it wasn't sustainable. This year we've been kept afloat purely on the quality of our roster for the most part but in the second half of the season have addressed some key fundamental issues which have paid dividends. While the performances haven't been convincing I think we have a better base to build on next year.

OldPanther

Coach
My assessment is that last season we rode a wave of hot form to a solid season/finals campaign. As it turned out it wasn't sustainable. This year we've been kept afloat purely on the quality of our roster for the most part but in the second half of the season have addressed some key fundamental issues which have paid dividends. While the performances haven't been convincing I think we have a better base to build on next year.

Definitely. The team has structure now which is good. Just need to perfect it now. Griffin is definitely better with a bit of help so Brandy needs to stay on or the assistant needs to put in more.

GongPanther

Referee
True. Crazy to think that if we lose our next two games, we could still miss the eight.

Maybe I can interest you in some insurance.

Panthers to miss the final 8...$17.A lazy lobster on would slightly ease the pain,if the unthinkable did eventuate.

Nah,save your money.:)

Pomoz

Bench
I will get in early before the next two games and say that regardless of whether we win or lose both, the club is in a good position. And the season has been successful. I will explain why.

For me the long term strategy has suddenly become as clear as day. Hook was brought in because in spite of his undoubted qualities, Cleary did not blood many juniors. He was very conservative. This last two seasons with Hook may have been frustrating at times but just look what has happened. Cleary, TMM,Edwards, Katoa, CHN, JFH, Kikau and now May have all been blooded. That never would have happened with Cleary.

That is eight players. More than half a team. The Knights and Tigers have struggled for those two years while we have quietly started building a team that is Penrith through and through and blooded more players than just about any other team. This has been completely lost in the seemingly never ending discussion about who should be 5/8th and whether Hook can coach.

I think there is also more to it than just blooding juniors because we have done that in the past and it hasn't always worked. The biggest single change from our club of old is that when these players debut, they look ready for it and not out of place. Gus reclaimed the reserve grade from St Marys and he got all three grades training in the same place. He got a proper training facility in place. They pillage the u20's even when a finals place is on the line so the kids get experience in NSW cup. They rotate them up and then put them back down again when they tire. When they debut, these kids are hitting the ground running, catch them if you can.

So here we are with a team with 12 of the 17 Penrith juniors and in spite of rebuilding u20's again, they are second and another group is in place.

We may lose both games and go out on our ear, but this club is in an amazing position right now. Only time will tell if Hook is the right man or not, but it doesn't matter. A new coach will be found and we will win a premiership. Patience is all.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
I will get in early before the next two games and say that regardless of whether we win or lose both, the club is in a good position. And the season has been successful. I will explain why.

For me the long term strategy has suddenly become as clear as day. Hook was brought in because in spite of his undoubted qualities, Cleary did not blood many juniors. He was very conservative. This last two seasons with Hook may have been frustrating at times but just look what has happened. Clearly, TMM,Edwards, Katoa, CHN, JFH, Kikau and now May have all been blooded. That never would have happened with Cleary.

That is eight players. More than half a team. The Knights and Tigers have struggled for those two years while we have quietly started building a team that is Penrith through and through and blooded more players than just about any other team. This has been completely lost in the seemingly never ending discussion about who should be 5/8th and whether Hook can coach.

I think there is also more to it than just blooding juniors because we have done that in the past and it hasn't always worked. The biggest single change from our club of old is that when these players debut, they look ready for it and not out of place. Gus reclaimed the reserve grade from St Marys and he got all three grades training in the same place. He got a proper training facility in place. They pillage the u20's even when a finals place is on the line so the kids get experience in NSW cup. They rotate them up and then put them back down again when they tire. When they debut, these kids are hitting the ground running, catch them if you can.

So here we are with a team with 12 of the 17 Penrith juniors and in spite of rebuilding u20's again, they are second and another group is in place.

We may lose both games and go out on our ear, but this club is in an amazing position right now. Only time will tell if Hook is the right man or not, but it doesn't matter. A new coach will be found and we will win a premiership. Patience is all.
An astute observation. :)