What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Finals Chances.

franklin2323

Immortal
Ok, who should he have signed?

Depends on the role and what we wanted to pay. Plenty of NRL experienced halves in the ESL if none over here Rangi Chase or Daniel Mortimer at a rough guess. Tamou's $600k or Browne's whatever he is one could of been used and wouldn't of hurt the team imo.

OldPanther

Coach
That's all well and good mate but I disagree, we were younger and more consistent last season. We are literally a worse team this year with a better, older squad. We added age and experience and got worse, putting all our troubles down to us being young isn't having a real look at the issues.

The roster also changed. Hiku/Whare/TMM were added this year and then Hiku/TMM dropped and gone and Whare getting injured, Mansour came back. As soon as we had our proper line up we have gone 7 from 9. To say we should have been better ignores a great deal about the team this year.

betcats

Referee
The roster also changed. Hiku/Whare/TMM were added this year and then Hiku/TMM dropped and gone and Whare getting injured, Mansour came back. As soon as we had our proper line up we have gone 7 from 9. To say we should have been better ignores a great deal about the team this year.

Sorry but I completely disagree, of course we should have been better saying otherwise is just looking for excuses, like is Mansour coming back really an excuse for us to be a worse team? Come on that's a joke, and Hiku being dropped is another excuse for poor form is it? Lol that's just crap. We had bigger mid year roster and lineup changes last year than we did this year. Griffins second year also. All our young guys should of come along with another offseason and more games experience. Less injuries overall this year than last. Full access to the improved facilities. Griffin got his own staff. We should of had a settled spine it's completely the coaches fault we did not going into the year.

To say we should not have been a better side this year is beyond a joke.

OldPanther

Coach
Sorry but I completely disagree, of course we should have been better saying otherwise is just looking for excuses, like is Mansour coming back really an excuse for us to be a worse team? Come on that's a joke, and Hiku being dropped is another excuse for poor form is it? Lol that's just crap. We had bigger mid year roster and lineup changes last year than we did this year. Griffins second year also. All our young guys should of come along with another offseason and more games experience. Less injuries overall this year than last. Full access to the improved facilities. Griffin got his own staff. We should of had a settled spine it's completely the coaches fault we did not going into the year.

To say we should not have been a better side this year is beyond a joke.

I think you missed my point.

We started this year with a very different team than what we finished with last year, as soon as we got what I consider a stronger version of our end of year team we started winning games. That is not a coincidence. I'm saying the choices made about the roster at the start of this year and Mansour being OUT is what caused our results.

They changed the backline, spine and forwards. Things are going to be off. That's not an excuse. That's poor management of the team.

Pomoz

Bench
Good discussion on here today, enjoying it. I wish I knew how much Tamou got. Poor bloke is always assumed to be paid a King's ransom and measured accordingly. I reckon Brown would be on a very low package, but what do I know? We never know how much people get. What I do know is RCG is gonna want a pay rise if he keeps up belting out 180m and making 5m post contact every time.

Personally I think Gus has built a good roster, we just need Griffin to get the best out of it and the young blokes to get a few more matches under their belts. I mean, on the plus side Griffin debuts players without a second hesitation and we have a steady stream of players to look forward to playing first grade. Long may that continue.Elliot would rather play Purtell at prop than debut a junior and Cleary admitted he wouldn't even play his own son if he was still there!

franklin2323

Immortal
Good discussion on here today, enjoying it. I wish I knew how much Tamou got. Poor bloke is always assumed to be paid a King's ransom and measured accordingly. I reckon Brown would be on a very low package, but what do I know? We never know how much people get. What I do know is RCG is gonna want a pay rise if he keeps up belting out 180m and making 5m post contact every time.

Personally I think Gus has built a good roster, we just need Griffin to get the best out of it and the young blokes to get a few more matches under their belts. I mean, on the plus side Griffin debuts players without a second hesitation and we have a steady stream of players to look forward to playing first grade. Long may that continue.Elliot would rather play Purtell at prop than debut a junior and Cleary admitted he wouldn't even play his own son if he was still there!

It is not what Tamou is on for me Gus was right we needed experience just spread across the squad not just prop. It is we are fine for props that Souths game when we dropped all of the guys was when we started playing really poorly. That is where we needed an experienced back or 2 to come in and steady the ship for a few weeks

franklin2323

Immortal
I think you missed my point.

We started this year with a very different team than what we finished with last year, as soon as we got what I consider a stronger version of our end of year team we started winning games. That is not a coincidence. I'm saying the choices made about the roster at the start of this year and Mansour being OUT is what caused our results.

They changed the backline, spine and forwards. Things are going to be off. That's not an excuse. That's poor management of the team.

As good as TMM and Moylan and co making 4 nations was it really did wreck pre season the extra month or so having both train in the halves would of done plenty to the team. If confidence was an issue from coaches or Moylan the solid pre season may of changed that. Also we wouldn't look so clunky as we do now

Pomoz

Bench
As good as TMM and Moylan and co making 4 nations was it really did wreck pre season the extra month or so having both train in the halves would of done plenty to the team. If confidence was an issue from coaches or Moylan the solid pre season may of changed that. Also we wouldn't look so clunky as we do now
Great Point and you forgot Merrin who also started the season lacking fitness. Then add in Carty's and Merrin's personal issues and we started the season with some major baggage and unfit players.

I don't think we need to worry about our players being distracted by rep issues this year. We will not get a single player picked for anything and rightly so.

franklin2323

Immortal
Great Point and you forgot Merrin who also started the season lacking fitness. Then add in Carty's and Merrin's personal issues and we started the season with some major baggage and unfit players.

I don't think we need to worry about our players being distracted by rep issues this year. We will not get a single player picked for anything and rightly so.

DWZ and Whare and a few others will but. No key players so will help also with Kikau, May etc all tasting 1st grade now our depth should be better. Just a shame we didn't get the older head for early in this season

If we win 5 out of 6 we make it. 4 form 6 its gets a bit tricky. I think the cut off point this year could be 30/32 points.
Usually there is a team in the 8 that fades over the last few rounds. They can't all keep winning week in week out.
It will be interesting to see how the Eels go this week without Gutherson and how Manly respond after last weeks spanking.
I think Saints relatively easy draw has them in. I thought the Cowboys would have faded by now but they keep surprising me.

franklin2323

Immortal
If we win 5 out of 6 we make it. 4 form 6 its gets a bit tricky. I think the cut off point this year could be 30/32 points.
Usually there is a team in the 8 that fades over the last few rounds. They can't all keep winning week in week out.
It will be interesting to see how the Eels go this week without Gutherson and how Manly respond after last weeks spanking.
I think Saints relatively easy draw has them in. I thought the Cowboys would have faded by now but they keep surprising me.

We need Souths, GC and Bulldogs to find some form to take wins off those above.

Manly play Storm and Roosters next 2 weeks. Should lose both. Have WT at Leichhardt for Woods last game there. Surely that fires the Tigers up

Dragons have tricky game v GC (who seem to beat top 8 teams only) and Souths before us.

They prob need to lose 3 for us to get in due to F/A

Parra play Broncs twice. Both losses should get us in

mxlegend99

Referee
We have to win 2 more games than one team above us to make it. I think those teams can all win atleast 3 from 6.

I dont see any of them losing more than half their games. This week Eels are our best bet to gain on someone

Eels vs Broncos... Broncos will have refs helping them. Eels lost Gutherson. But they have a decent spine still. Broncos should win. But you never can tell.

Dragons vs Knights. Dragons have this easily.

Sea Eagles vs Storm. After an embarrassing loss I think Manly will bounce back against Storm. Especially with Slater and Smith out.

Eels are the team we best stand to catch up on this week. But if we lose none of them matter too much.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have finally accepted it is not so much the side we are putting out on the filed, but the problem is the way we are playing.

We have no real structure, little or no second phase play, few real offensive moves and no one (I mean no one actually back's up the ball carrier just in case they get an off load away).

Maybe I overestimate the ability in our roster but for me the Titans game despite the two points was a real low for me. I mean at best we were average and at worst ( during the first half ) we were really poor. We can sugar coat it any way we like but we simply are not able to compete with the better sides given the way we play the game.

I am a die hard and will be there for years to come regardless of what we dish up.

I have sat on the sidelines in respect of the current head coach and his support team but I as this season has progressed I am now not sure our head coach is not the way going forward. I hope I am wrong and have accepted the fact we most probably won't make the play offs this season. Coach Griffin deserves at the very least to be given to the mid way point of 2018 but if there is not significant improvement in terms of results or the footy that we dish up then surely it is time for change.

maple_69

Bench
We were rubbish for the first third of the season because our forwards were completely soft. Yeo was the only one having a go. Whether we had a settled spine, injuries or whatever wouldn't have changed a thing. Our off season and roster was more settled than we've had in a long time. Inexperience and coaching is the best explanation I can see.

I still think we have an immensely talented roster that's playing with good intensity. Our pack and back 3 are rolling forward without issue now but we lack the structure and discipline to build pressure and take full toll. Only way we make any impact this year is if our side finds confidence and weight of pure talent and skill send us on a run like last year.

Cows have a ruthless run coming up, Sea Eagles is pretty tough, Eels have lost their best player this year. Drags have a soft run but we play all these sides except the Eels so if we can win 5/6 we could pass any of these sides.

Pugzley

So now that Dragons have Won and they have the easiest draw known to sport I don't think we get past them. The Eels are up next and they only need 3 the commentary said. I have a sinking feeling about this year. Do people think we can make the finals still?
Barts_Friend_Falls_in_Love_11.jpg

10 days for Moylan to get his hammy right before we play the Tigpies, who we will beat. Then we should only need 2 from 4

I'd back us to beat Manly or Parra if they finish 5th. Sharkies or Cows up in Townsville and we go out week 1

MrBlack

Juniors
Looking at the ladder, I really think Manly are the team we should be targeting. They have a tough couple of weeks coming up and we play them in the last round (an absolute crunch game).

Manly are away to the Storm this week and home to the Roosters the following. We win next week and they lose both games and we are along side them.

Cowboys also have Roosters and Storm the next 2 weeks then face us at our home. They could potentially lose all 3 and we are near them.

Will be a first for me - cheering on the Roosters.....