What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our halves future

MilkShark

First Grade
I'm struggling to understand where we are heading with our halves.

We have Moylan and Chad looking to start the year as our halves whom are both on multi year contracts, Chad for 3 more years and Moylan for 4.

Then we have Flano Jnr coming through the ranks with most saying he isn't ready but is likely 1-2 years out. Alot of halves start young so if he keeps showing promise it's likely another club takes him off our hands if we don't give him a start.

So where are we heading?

Will Flanno Jnr wait it out for a few more years or does he get a start possibly as soon as next year or the year after?
And if he does get a start soon, do we flick Chad? Or does Moylan move to fullback to free a spot in the halves? And will Holmes be happy back on the wing?

My guess is that Chad will be moved on at the end of his contract for Flano Jnr because I'm sure Flano doesn't want to lose Holmes (stated many times) or Moylan if he can turn into the 5/8 we need.

I'd love to know what Flano is thinking.

What's Flanno thinking?

Is Holmes going to be my long term fullback?

Is Moylan going to be my long term 5/8?

Is Townsend going to take the next step up with his game and play at a consistent high level all the time?

Is my son going to be a First Grade footballer?

If he isn't thinking most of this I'd be very surprised.

Oh and contracts mean nothing these days.......

RUBIKS

Juniors
Flanno Jr, Jack Williams, that Jurd kid, will either be poached along with Salmon and Metcalf, or they won't be able to step up, or:

Broken contract with Moylan if he plays up or is busted.

Broken contract with Chad if he can't step up.

Broken contract with Holmes if he is homesick.

MilkShark

First Grade
What's Flanno thinking?

Is Holmes going to be my long term fullback?

Is Moylan going to be my long term 5/8?

Is Townsend going to take the next step up with his game and play at a consistent high level all the time?

Is my son going to be a First Grade footballer?

If he isn't thinking most of this I'd be very surprised.

Oh and contracts mean nothing these days.......

So basically he doesn't have a plan and is taking it as it comes?

He has said many times he wants Holmes at the club for a very long time, and if Holmes wants to play fullback and Moylan can't produce at 5/8 then we say goodbye to Moylan who just signed on for 4 years. Sure we could offload him but if he fails here at the Sharks his market value plummets and we would have to cover part of his contract wherever he goes. Flano would never let that happen.

Some here think Chads underrated so regarding him stepping up, apparently he doesn't need to. I reckon Flano is happy with him also considering he signed him up for another 3 years.

So basically he doesn't have a plan and is taking it as it comes?

He has said many times he wants Holmes at the club for a very long time, and if Holmes wants to play fullback and Moylan can't produce at 5/8 then we say goodbye to Moylan who just signed on for 4 years. Sure we could offload him but if he fails here at the Sharks his market value plummets and we would have to cover part of his contract wherever he goes. Flano would never let that happen.

Some here think Chads underrated so regarding him stepping up, apparently he doesn't need to. I reckon Flano is happy with him also considering he signed him up for another 3 years.

Oh I forgot Townsend was a rep player.......

Good to have plans but what if the player doesn't play to your plans????

MilkShark

First Grade
Oh I forgot Townsend was a rep player.......

Good to have plans but what if the player doesn't play to your plans????
If they don't plan out to be what you wanted than you get rid of them. Problem with that is Moylan can only switch to fullback and we have a fullback we are committed to.

And Chad is half and only a half. Hopefully Flano has the balls to show him the door if he can't step up. We all know Flano has a jobs for the boys mentality.

If they don't plan out to be what you wanted than you get rid of them. Problem with that is Moylan can only switch to fullback and we have a fullback we are committed to.

And Chad is half and only a half. Hopefully Flano has the balls to show him the door if he can't step up. We all know Flano has a jobs for the boys mentality.

The only mentality Flanno has is making sure he has a side that can seriously contest for a Premiership every season.

Seriously it wouldn’t matter what the coach has achieved and continues to achieve some of the supporters at our Club will continue to be ungrateful.

But hey that’s a lot of what today’s society is about.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Here’s a poser for the group.

Is Kyle Flanagan as good as Nate Cleary was at the same stage?

He has definitely been as, or more, prolific on the score sheets.

MilkShark

First Grade
The only mentality Flanno has is making sure he has a side that can seriously contest for a Premiership every season.

Seriously it wouldn’t matter what the coach has achieved and continues to achieve some of the supporters at our Club will continue to be ungrateful.

But hey that’s a lot of what today’s society is about.
Purely as an example;

I could be wrong but I get the impression Feki and Luetele have their spots for as long as they like. Warranted or not. This year I believe we have better options available for both of their positions but I don't think they will be used due to the way Flano works, in my opinion.

MilkShark

First Grade
Here’s a poser for the group.

Is Kyle Flanagan as good as Nate Cleary was at the same stage?

He has definitely been as, or more, prolific on the score sheets.
Good question and fair comparison. Obviously we have heard alot more about Kyle being Sharks supporters. Perhaps the Panthers supports heard alot of young Cleary coming through the ranks also.

But yeah Kyle has the records to show for his ability.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I heard KF described as the next Cooper Cronk on NRL360 last year. For whatever that is worth. Was Ikin I think

MilkShark

First Grade
I heard KF described as the next Cooper Cronk on NRL360 last year. For whatever that is worth. Was Ikin I think
Well I hope none of the talent scouts for other clubs heard that.

SURELY Flano knows what his kid is capable of. I'd hate to lose him because we didn't show some faith and give him a shot. Because if we don't than you can bet someone else will. And even more so because he is a talented half back, of which the comp lacks big time.

I feel like Flano takes the safe option too often, we need to blood young people with promise sometimes sooner than later or risk the consequences. Melbourne through Scott and Carr in straight away and look at them now. If they were with us still they would be playing lower grades still.

MilkShark

First Grade
Got to have 4 halves in the squad, then 2 that can fill in.
You do yes.

But how long does the rookie half back with all the records that shows so much promise remain a back up at one club before another club gives a go in their top squad.

Think what we did with Bird and the Dragons.

Does blooding players into First Grade early guarantee them having long First Grade careers or guarantee they are going to be better than players who are graded a few years later than they are?

Scott and Ado Carr had great seasons last year. But both would’ve been studied a lot more by opposition coaches now.

Both have weaknesses in defence and I’m sure they will be more exploited in those areas than last season.

How they deal with that will go a long way determining if they’ll have the same success as First Graders this season.

MilkShark

First Grade
Does blooding players into First Grade early guarantee them having long First Grade careers or guarantee they are going to be better than players who are graded a few years later than they are?
It's a fair question but if you ask the player if they want to wait 2 more years for a chance in the top team or go to another club and start in their top team straight away, I don't think they will be hanging around.