What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our halves future

MilkShark

First Grade
Scott and Ado Carr had great seasons last year. But both would’ve been studied a lot more by opposition coaches now.

Both have weaknesses in defence and I’m sure they will be more exploited in those areas than last season.

How they deal with that will go a long way determining if they’ll have the same success as First Graders this season.
2nd year syndrome is a real thing, Bird I think suffered from it (3rd season really).

Carr and Scott may well be benefiting from the Melbourne factor, who knows. I feel Carr is fine and will continue to kick on, Scott showed promise but isn't a certainty like Carr.

It's a fair question but if you ask the player if they want to wait 2 more years for a chance in the top team or go to another club and start in their top team straight away, I don't think they will be hanging around.

Well that is their decision to make. If they think they have a better future somewhere else then good luck to them.

Brailey has got his chance early and by all reports Katoa gets his chance Round 1 this season. When Flanno thinks they are close to being mentally and physically ready to taste First Grade he’ll put them in. There will be others who’ll play some First Grade this season when our depth gets tested and Rep time.

Just remember though as soon as any of these young kids show any promise in a First Grade jumper they’ll become even more hot property to opposition Clubs. They are not on much coin and Clubs will throw the $ at them if they look like they can become regular First Graders.

MilkShark

First Grade
Well that is their decision to make. If they think they have a better future somewhere else then good luck to them.

Brailey has got his chance early and by all reports Katoa gets his chance Round 1 this season. When Flanno thinks they are close to being mentally and physically ready to taste First Grade he’ll put them in. There will be others who’ll play some First Grade this season when our depth gets tested and Rep time.

Just remember though as soon as any of these young kids show any promise in a First Grade jumper they’ll become even more hot property to opposition Clubs. They are not on much coin and Clubs will throw the $ at them if they look like they can become regular First Graders.

Yeah true. I guess that where this is an interesting / difficult situation for Flano here with the rookie half being his own son. Does he tell him to go elsewhere should an offer come up? Or hope he is loyal and ask him to wait it out at the Sharks?

I think Flano was left with no choice but to give Brailey an opportunity due to Ennis and his shock retirement. It has been a mostly smooth transition, still alot of work to be done but we are lucky Brailey has been up to it.

In regards to being physically ready, Chads only got 4kgs over Kyle and Moylan is only 5kgs heavier. He aint far off at all. Mentally ready is harder to do without some first grade exposure. Perhaps he will get it through injury (hopefully not) or perhaps it will only come through waiting out his apprenticeship and waiting for the others contracts to end.

King Ben

Juniors
I think Chad is the first to go if any of the chess pieces need to be moved around. I think he's got the most pressure on him this year. Moylan can be moved to FB. Holmes to the wing. Chad has the young upstart coaches son and the Origin winner waiting in the wings.

MilkShark

First Grade
I think Chad is the first to go if any of the chess pieces need to be moved around. I think he's got the most pressure on him this year. Moylan can be moved to FB. Holmes to the wing. Chad has the young upstart coaches son and the Origin winner waiting in the wings.
It's probably more WHEN the chess pieces have to be moved and not IF they need to be.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well I would not want to play for my Dad, if was coach. (On principle, not my Dad per se)

So if Shane stays, Kyle should probably leave anyway.

ghoti

Bench
I hate these kinds of threads/opinions when it comes to suggesting an unproven youth should be promoted early to kick a proven first grader...

I think you have a half dozen plans for all your positions ready for any circumstance. Townsend and Moylan are our halves NOW, are arguably our best options, and have contracts in place that give them security and piece of mind to perform at their best.

Hodkinson and Flanagan are back-ups, Kyle of whom is a LONG way of firsts imo, and certainly a long way from Townsend's quality. Even if you think Townsend has underperformed, it's kind of insane just to boot him in the vent that Flanno Jr miiiight one day be an NRL half.

Re: Ikin and other commentators calling 18 year old reserve graders the next Cronk/Thurston etc...f**ken hell, they pretty much say this about every single half coming through the ranks who dominates reggies. Everyone here complaining about Moylan being a myth surely remembers the years of 'Moylan will be the next Lockyer' bullshit in commentary...Jack Bird is "the next Brad Fitter", etc. Commentator opinions are worth shit 3/4 of the time...

Ads

First Grade
Well I would not want to play for my Dad, if was coach. (On principle, not my Dad per se)

Weirdly everything points to Cleary wanting to join his dad next contract.

MilkShark

First Grade

My dad was my coach, never was problem as long as you should be there on your skill level and that only.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
My dad was my coach, never was problem as long as you should be there on your skill level and that only.
Juniors no issue, top grade would be another thing.

Plus Dad would be a great resource, as I am Ivan is to Nathan.

bluefox1968

Juniors
kyle flanagan is 4 years away from being the player Moylan was 4 years ago.

DTTC has spoken - do we all bow down and worship???

Mate, they're totally different players.

Moylan is OVER-RATED - but we have to try to like him because he's now a Shark, and we're all DESPERATELY HOPING that it somehow works.

Chad should be moved on in 2019, as Trent Hodko is the appointed mentor for Flanno Jr.

And, yes, Feki is over-rated, and we should drop him for a younger player. Loots looks like there is still some improvement in him, but Feki has been the same since he came into 1st grade...

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
DTTC has spoken - do we all bow down and worship???

Mate, they're totally different players.

Moylan is OVER-RATED - but we have to try to like him because he's now a Shark, and we're all DESPERATELY HOPING that it somehow works.

Chad should be moved on in 2019, as Trent Hodko is the appointed mentor for Flanno Jr.

And, yes, Feki is over-rated, and we should drop him for a younger player. Loots looks like there is still some improvement in him, but Feki has been the same since he came into 1st grade...
This time last year Reefy was sprouting that Seggy was in the top 3 hookers in the comp and Brailey would be lucky to play more than one game in firsts. It's a fine balance between playing these kids too early and not giving them a shot early enough and risking losing them to opportunities at other clubs. Would like to think that Flanno jnr and Brailey 2 would be inspired by the success of Brailey 1 and the potential prospect of joining him in the BWB over the next year or two.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Maybe the plan should be to test FJ’s mettle early and see how he fares

A la what Terry Fearnley did with ET at an albeit younger age.

M2D2

Bench
I dont think chad should be moved on, he was our best half last year and the least of our issues.
Flanno 2.0 will do decent enough given the chance.
I dont like Moylan @ 6. But i think thats a pretty common opinion.
Hodko will do good as a mentor and backup half/utility option.

As far as flannos idea.
No f**kin idea.

shaggs

Coach
Chad is consistent. He isn’t the guy who you throw the ball to in the last 10 minutes and say get us two tries with flashy play.
He will just run and kick and grind for the whole 70.
The tries he gets and produces will be from repeat efforts and putting in 100%

Can FJ do that? Or is his go, play the plan. Get the points through consistent repeat effort?