What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our halves future

Frenzy.

Immortal
I dont think chad should be moved on, he was our best half last year and the least of our issues.
Flanno 2.0 will do decent enough given the chance.
I dont like Moylan @ 6. But i think thats a pretty common opinion.
Hodko will do good as a mentor and backup half/utility option.

As far as flannos idea.
No f**kin idea.

Hope Hodko mentors TPP as well. In fact the more I think of it the more I think he was brought in to mentor Mythlan than FJ

Fair bit of flogging off & moving players on for somebody who went missing , got smashed & completely out played by his opposite numbers in the last 5 games of last year.

ghoti

Bench
DTTC has spoken - do we all bow down and worship???

Mate, they're totally different players.

Moylan is OVER-RATED - but we have to try to like him because he's now a Shark, and we're all DESPERATELY HOPING that it somehow works.

Chad should be moved on in 2019, as Trent Hodko is the appointed mentor for Flanno Jr.

And, yes, Feki is over-rated, and we should drop him for a younger player. Loots looks like there is still some improvement in him, but Feki has been the same since he came into 1st grade...

Flanagan Jr is over-rated too though! And he hasn't touched first grade let alone a kangaroos or bliss jersey. I don't think Moylan is all he's cracked up to be either, but he's a better halves option right now at this moment...If anyone really thinks Flanagan should be in the squad and Moylan should be in reserves, they're insane.

I've never understood the Flanno hype, he's a good early prospect at best

Ads

First Grade
Flanno knows we need tries. Moylan creates and can score. Would have nailed it at fullback but the Barba rumours are floating around and those two in the same team would be amazing. Chad, Hodko and Flanno Jnr can fight it out for the halfback spot.

Flanno knows we need tries. Moylan creates and can score. Would have nailed it at fullback but the Barba rumours are floating around and those two in the same team would be amazing. Chad, Hodko and Flanno Jnr can fight it out for the halfback spot.

Totally agree with this.
Dugan and Moylan will give us more points for sure. (Hopefully we find at least a 75% goal kicker this season as well.)

Not a lot has been made what these two will add defensively though and it is an upgrade over who they are replacing.

Maloney’s missed tackle and penalty conceded rates were off the charts. Bird was found wanting in bad reads quite a bit as well. Dugan is a big body and a strong defender. Not perfect but more imposing than Jack Bird. Moylan isn’t a beast in defence but he gets through his tackles. The big plus as well is when the ball gets put in the air we have two blokes who naturally defuse bombs.

RUBIKS

Juniors
Moylan
8 Tries, 8 Try Assists, 7 Forced Dropouts
Townsend
6 Tries, 8 Try Assists, 2 Goals, 21 Forced Dropouts
Maloney
4 Tries, 12 Try Assists, 71 Goals, 8 Forced Dropouts
Trent Hodkinson
1 Try, 6 Try Assists, 46 Goals, 4 Forced Dropouts

(Forced dropouts included as we know that's one of Townsend's strengths)

MilkShark

First Grade
Moylan
8 Tries, 8 Try Assists, 7 Forced Dropouts
Townsend
6 Tries, 8 Try Assists, 2 Goals, 21 Forced Dropouts
Maloney
4 Tries, 12 Try Assists, 71 Goals, 8 Forced Dropouts
Trent Hodkinson
1 Try, 6 Try Assists, 46 Goals, 4 Forced Dropouts

(Forced dropouts included as we know that's one of Townsend's strengths)
It's important to remember Moylan wasn't playing half all of last year, so dropouts will be down. And Hodkinson was dropped / injured pretty much all of last year I thought?

Ads

First Grade
It's important to remember Moylan wasn't playing half all of last year, so dropouts will be down. And Hodkinson was dropped / injured pretty much all of last year I thought?
And go back to 2016 and Moylan is almost at Barba levels of try assists, though I'm pretty sure all of it was from fb.

snout

First Grade
Moylan over-rated....haha - FMD.
Give youtube a visit.

Moylan is a fullback. Pure and simple. Go and watch how many tries he lays on when be can do his own thing.

He aint the first career stalled by an idiot called Griffin and he wont be the last.
He is in good company.
Ben barba and Dane Gagai to name 2.

I reckon flanno knows he is a 1.
Without doubt he knows he is a 1.
Flanno knows Val aint an NRL 1 and thats why he wanted Pearce and thats why he bought Hodko.
Because Moylan was bought to play 1.
Holmes has first dig but Flanno would have a round in mind and if he isnt making a dent Holmes will be running the line.

I will guess he has 3 rounds.

MilkShark

First Grade
I reckon flanno knows he is a 1.
Without doubt he knows he is a 1.
Flanno knows Val aint an NRL 1 and thats why he wanted Pearce and thats why he bought Hodko.
Because Moylan was bought to play 1.

Don't dare state that to the tards on facebook. I did it and man did I cop it from them haha.

SharkShocked

Bench
I'd be very surprised if Flanno is willing to give in after 3 rounds.

I reckon Holmes will get a lot longer than that, even if it isn't working.

MilkShark

First Grade

Maybe.

So many games are won and lost by a 2 points nowadays. We do not have a goal kicker who we can reliably kick goals, I don't believe. Hodkinson could be that for us. It really has be tempting for Flano to make the call.

Get the closest replacement to Barba (Moylan) back to fullback and the try scoring winger back to where he is best suited. Imagine Katoa and Holmes on the wings for us, it would be amazing.

Or we could persist with Holmes at fullback and keep hearing from the club he is a work in progress.

Last edited:

RUBIKS

Juniors
Get the closest replacement to Barba (Moylan) back to fullback and the try scoring winger back to where he is best suited. Imagine Kato and Holmes on the wings for us, it would be amazing.

No chance. You know if Val moves back to the wing, Katoa goes down a grade. Flanno won't dump Fekki.

Also, wasn't there a thing about Moylan wanting to play 5/8th since he won't be unseating Tedesco or Tribvoiovitchicenove from 1 in the rep teams.

MilkShark

First Grade
No chance. You know if Val moves back to the wing, Katoa goes down a grade. Flanno won't dump Fekki.

Also, wasn't there a thing about Moylan wanting to play 5/8th since he won't be unseating Tedesco or Tribvoiovitchicenove from 1 in the rep teams.
Oh I know, Flano will play it safe and pick a defensive winger who has been there done that instead of what looks like to be a try scoring machine. We will prob lose him also to another club.

I'm not sure where Moylans preference to play is.

RUBIKS

Juniors
Cronulla Sharks will take my game to the next level: Matt Moylan

The desire to reach the next level as a player is what drove Matt Moylan to make the move to the shire.

And, preparing to face a daunting first NRL appearance for Cronulla when they travel to Townsville to face North Queensland in round one, Moylan is confident he has joined a potentially premiership-winning club.

If the prospect of one of the most formidable away days of the season first up wasn’t tough enough, the added drama of Johnathan Thurston’s return from a season-ending injury for his 300th NRL game as well as the return of Matt Scott will ensure a hostile atmosphere for the Sharks.

“JT’s 300th, Matt Scott back, they’re going to have plenty to play for,” Moylan said.

“Everyone’s keen to play round one so it’s going to be a hard one but [we’re] looking forward to it. You don’t want to start the season any other way, every game is going to be hard. We get that one to kick off our season so hopefully, we can get up there and play some good footy.”

Good footy is what Moylan has played in Cronulla’s trials so far, despite needing to manage a knee problem, highlighted by his 40-minute performance against the Wests Tigers at Campbelltown.

The 26-year-old’s addition to the squad from Penrith, with James Maloney heading in the opposite direction, has forced a tweak to Cronulla’s playing style. Halfback Chad Townsend will take the bulk of responsibility to steer the team around the park, with Moylan able to inject himself in more of an ad lib style.

It was a meeting with Sharks coach Shane Flanagan and the club’s head of performance Andrew Gray that convinced Moylan to join Cronulla after they outlined their vision for the club.

“The way they sort of spoke to us and where they were heading was really appealing to me,” Moylan said.

“I thought I could develop as a player here and get to that next level and improve as a player. [I’m] just hoping to do that this year.

“I’ve found [Flanagan] really good. He makes it clear what he wants out of me and my role so that suits me. [He] gives me things that I need to focus on to keep improving which has been good throughout the pre-season. [I’m] still trying to do that now.

“I guess I always just go out there and try to play a natural game that comes to me within the game plan that we’ve got and the structure. But in saying that we’ve got a good forward pack to get us on the front foot and Chaddy leads us around well so it allows me to play a bit more freely. I’ve just got to make sure I’m taking the right options for the team and doing the right thing and make sure I’m on top of my role.”

The addition of Moylan and incumbent Test centre Josh Dugan has mitigated Cronulla’s losses of 2016 premiership winners Maloney and Jack Bird. Added to the new-look spine of Moylan and Townsend, Valentine Holmes and young-gun Jayden Brailey and one of the best forward packs in the competition, the Sharks are likely to be premiership contenders again.

Playing in a such a strong team could also bring out Moylan’s best football, and the chance to return to the representative arena. And having overcome the hamstring trouble of last season, plus the change in lifestyle, Moylan is likely to be playing with a smile on his face.

“[Cronulla have] always been a hard side to beat, especially over the last few years they’ve been playing some good footy,” Moylan said.

“That side is always appealing as well. In saying that, we’ve got to go out and play some good footy as well but that made the decision to come down here a bit easier.

“I got a taste of [representative football] and I’d love to get an opportunity to play more of that. [It’s an] old cliche saying you’ve got to play good at club land first. I haven’t really thought about it, to be honest - about getting back there. I haven’t played footy for a while so I just want to get out there, make sure I start the year well doing my role for the team and if I’m playing well enough I’ll be in the conversation for that. But I’m just focusing on here and enjoying my job at the moment.

“I’m really enjoying it down here. It’s good, it’s handy having the beach just down the road. Can’t complain about that. You feel like you’re always out doing something outdoors. [It’s] sort of the lifestyle down here. I’m really enjoying it.”

Source

Frenzy.

Immortal
Maybe.

So many games are won and lost by a 2 points nowadays. We do not have a goal kicker who we can reliably kick goals, I don't believe. Hodkinson could be that for us. It really has be tempting for Flano to make the call.

Get the closest replacement to Barba (Moylan) back to fullback and the try scoring winger back to where he is best suited. Imagine Katoa and Holmes on the wings for us, it would be amazing.

Or we could persist with Holmes at fullback and keep hearing from the club he is a work in progress.

He’s on a 5 year plan you know

At this juncture, no Sharks fans can criticise Moylan for anything. Hes played 50 minutes? With an injury all pre season, that sounds like it only be just ready for rnd 1?
I think we are going to be alright.

snout

First Grade

He had 26 last year.

No way will flanno cop the shite from last year from maloney and Val.

Ones gone.
After his world cup exploits the other is being given a last shot.

If he is punted to the sideline its due to his own ineffectiveness.