What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our radio rights dream dashed for the moment.

iggy plop

First Grade
Reports in Sunday's papers suggest the rumoured radio rights carve up for this season will not happen. Apparently Hadley demanded 2GB hold onto its "exclusivity clause" or he wouldn't front up this year to call the footy.

The Sunday Tele said the result was great for 2GB. What about the footy follower? Who cares about them.

The NRL should take a good look at themselves next time the radio rights are up for negotiation. There should NO exclusivity deals. We have a situation at the moment where a popular station like MMM calls Swans games into Sydney instead of NRL matches. This is diabolical when you consider MMM were keen to call the league.

bartman

Immortal
Was always better late 80s early 90s when you had a few different stations calling it. 2UE, 2KY, 2GB, 2BL... and before those days even 2SM. Sure, sometimes they'd do the same games, but at least you had choice most of the time.

The money NRL gets for "exclusivity" is not worth it - GB should pay a lot more if it wants the same next time, or NRL should just divvy it back up like before?

Hypocrite Hadley

He wasnt keen on exclusivity when he was at 2UE

And for the past however many years he's been at GB he's always said that he doesnt mind if they open up the market, because he'd still win the ratings

IF this story is reported correctly, it looks like he is a liar

And the problem with the ABC is that there is too much talk of AFL etc on Grandstand

thommo4pm

Coach
Hadley is a good caller of League, but the rest of his programme on Saturday & Sunday stinks.
The crap they go on with is just ridiculous, at least Frilingos when he was there would have the guts to say what does this have to do with the footy.

thommo4pm

Coach
I think Andrew Moore probably has more passion for it now then Hadley, but Hadley is still a pretty good caller of the games.

thommo4pm said:
I think Andrew Moore probably has more passion for it now then Hadley, but Hadley is still a pretty good caller of the games.

Hadley is OK but he should be playing second fiddle to the much more mature, civil and less arrogant Andrew Moore.

simon says

First Grade
The thing I like about Moore is that he has a REAL passion for the game.There are nounderlying interests with him IMHO.He loves his footy,calls it how he sees it.

And the show he does with Gouldie is a classic IMHO.

Cheers.

bulldog

Bench
Was always better late 80s early 90s when you had a few different stations calling it. 2UE, 2KY, 2GB, 2BL... and before those days even 2SM. Sure, sometimes they'd do the same games, but at least you had choice most of the time.

My radio was always on whenever there was footy playing back then, now there is so much rubbish and a man with an ego the size of Ayers Rock with exclusive rights, I just can't be bothered listening to him.

thommo4pm

Coach
bulldog said:

My radio was always on whenever there was footy playing back then, now there is so much rubbish and a man with an ego the size of Ayers Rock with exclusive rights, I just can't be bothered listening to him.

Ayers Rock isn't that big. ;-)

Grantwhy

Juniors
just how #@!!! exclusive are 2GB's rights?

The ABC calls more #@!!! games than #@!!! 2GB.

One of the local radio stations here in North Queensland calls every Cowboys game (away and home). Surely other 'local' stations do the same for some of the other teams?

There are options (not many but they are there) if we don't want to listen to 2GB's call of a game.

:?:

Wow, a topic i can get grumpy about :lol:.

Misty Bee

First Grade
We get no 'local' coverage (dunno if the KNights are really local up here or not). The best we get is ABC, which calls AFL on Saturday PM. I have even heard then drop midway through an NRL match to cross to South Africa for friggin cricket!!!

Having said that, it still shits on 2GB. It usually takes me about 30 seconds to remember why I don't listen to them1

Grantwhy said:

One of the local radio stations here in North Queensland calls every Cowboys game (away and home). Surely other 'local' stations do the same for some of the other teams?

There are options (not many but they are there) if we don't want to listen to 2GB's call of a game.

We don't in Melbourne. Even when there is no AFL game on. They just talk crap, crap and then some.

Not like the old days when AK could broadcast the games. :D

Dogs Of War

Coach
If the NRL wants to give a radio licence exclusive then they should be forced to call all the games on a saturday night for those of us who have to work and can't watch it on a TV, or those too poor to own foxtel. The current setup sucks.

roosterboy60

Juniors
Guys, (I know this may be considered as advertising Admins..but it is another way for people to listen to the Footy) I call NRL games Online with my team..normally we will be doing 3 games a week and a Rugby League Panel will start this year. So there is another way to listen to the Footy.

iggy plop

First Grade
Grantwhy said:

Well if you think that's sufficient that's fine. But we have a code called AFL who has just about station calling their game in Melbourne. No other sports are given a look in.

In Sydney we have the situation where we have stations willing to give precious time and promotion to RL, but the NRL decides on exclusive commercial rights which cuts out this valuable air time. We now have stations calling rival codes.

The ABC is good, but it does not cover league all the time. Saturday afternoons are AFL and if a big union game is on Saturday night they go with that. 2GB refuse to call Sat night games and we are left with a blackout.

More is better last time I looked.

gregstar

Referee
hadley is an idiot - for all his sh*t giving expertise, he puffs up like a pompous little prigg when he gets it back - eg i hear rleague forum had a little problem with him ;-)
i hope (and his vanity probably dictates it) that the minger is informed of his popularity here!