What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our right edge defence atrocious

God-King Dean

Immortal
The winger is very rarely to blame when overlaps occur. Nofa follows naquima in every time. It is obvious this is what they are coached to do.

It astounds me when people blame the winger.

It's as if people just see the last defender, so just assume it's their fault.

Tiger05

First Grade
What are you watching? Do you just see Nofo get beat on the outside and assume he's wholly at fault?

We play that compressed and Nofoaluma has two or three men outside of him at any given time because his only opportunity to stop the play is to jam in and close it off before it gets wide. He stays out and they scored inside of him. He has two inept defenders in Moses and Naiqama inside him.

Let Moses chase coin at the Dogs and buy a decent centre who can defend and a half who is a reasonable defender and you'll go a long way to fixing our right edge. It would also help if we could defend effectively in the middle third so we don't have to compress our defensive line in the f**king first place.

Here is the thing - he is getting done. We have to keep him but he needs a lot of support. At the moment we have Moses, a dud defensive backrower (Sue or Aloiai) and Naiqama out there. Nofo though is just as bad as all of them. Anyone who thinks he is a good defensive winger is kidding themselves.

That side needs heaps of changes.

To add to that I also think it's a conscious coaching decision. They deliberately play like that.

Here is the thing - he is getting done. We have to keep him but he needs a lot of support. At the moment we have Moses, a dud defensive backrower (Sue or Aloiai) and Naiqama out there. Nofo though is just as bad as all of them. Anyone who thinks he is a good defensive winger is kidding themselves.

To add to that I also think it's a conscious coaching decision. They deliberately play like that.

If he only has to worry about his opposite man he's more than a good chance of stopping him. The only real deficiency he has is competing for the high ball.

Of course he deliberately plays like that. They're coached to have a compressed defensive line. The problem is that Moses and Naiqama don't slide and are both totally inept defenders. Nofo only has one option and that is to jam in to prevent the ball from going wide.

A defence line of Moses,Kev and Nofo hardly puts the fear of god into you,if anything it's laughable.The number of tries these three have let in would be mind numbing,and to think they still get picked in FG is beyond belief,Nofo should be told to stay on his wing in defence or he is in reserve grade with the other two non tacklers,problem solved.

Clifferd

Coach
A defence line of Moses,Kev and Nofo hardly puts the fear of god into you,if anything it's laughable.The number of tries these three have let in would be mind numbing,and to think they still get picked in FG is beyond belief,Nofo should be told to stay on his wing in defence or he is in reserve grade with the other two non tacklers,problem solved.

If Nofo is to stay on his wing then the same results still happen just they score close range to the posts. Tell ole mate Moses and Naiqama to stay on your man and slide, or don't go for the miracle intercept

Tiger Ted

Bench
What are you watching? Do you just see Nofo get beat on the outside and assume he's wholly at fault?

We play that compressed and Nofoaluma has two or three men outside of him at any given time because his only opportunity to stop the play is to jam in and close it off before it gets wide. He stays out and they scored inside of him. He has two inept defenders in Moses and Naiqama inside him.

Let Moses chase coin at the Dogs and buy a decent centre who can defend and a half who is a reasonable defender and you'll go a long way to fixing our right edge. It would also help if we could defend effectively in the middle third so we don't have to compress our defensive line in the f**king first place.
If we find a couple of guys who r more interested in playing there best & representing the club with dignity than looking in the mirror like 2 of the weakest defenders I've ever seen (the wanka moses & the gump naiqama)then we'd b competitive in every damn game.

It won't take much to turn this team around.The changes that need to b made r glaringly obvious !

Tiger Woody

Juniors

Nofa will be better if the new coach gives him help with a decent centre alongside him...
But gee to let 2 veterans score 3 tries against you in Goodwin and Flo Rinse Nightingale must be annoying

If Nofo is to stay on his wing then the same results still happen just they score close range to the posts. Tell ole mate Moses and Naiqama to stay on your man and slide, or don't go for the miracle intercept
Cliff that's my point,those pair inside Nofo are so appalling in defence they don't deserve to be in FG,The problem needs immediate attention and if means putting someone in who can tackle so be it.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

Give us a list of all the good defensive wingers in the game that would make a luck of difference to our right side defence.

There isn't one.

How many times have you seen one bloke had success defending 2 or 3 players every time?

Moses our back rower doesn't slide then simultaneously, Kev comes up and in while Moses stands still. It creates a huge gap between the two and a gap behind Kev. It also means Nofo has to come up and in and force a cut out pass.

Its an outdated defensive technique which doesn't work anymore.

Shredder

Juniors
Well MU - I think its works when its done right - but THATS the problem.

I look at our defence and honestly, my under 12s coach would have reamed us for it.

Over the last few years, its the real basics, handling, defence, support play that has let us down.

Thats why they just dont look like first graders - its the real boiled down basics they are getting wrong.

Clifferd

Coach
Cliff that's my point,those pair inside Nofo are so appalling in defence they don't deserve to be in FG,The problem needs immediate attention and if means putting someone in who can tackle so be it.

Ah my bad, thought you gave the impression Nofo is to blame aswell when it really isn't

Give us a competent centre/halve defending pair inside him and I think youll see an 100% improvement

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
a bit of a basic/crude stats grab here

Opposition left side centres and wingers have scored 12 tries against our right side defence this year
The other side has had 6 tries scored.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Well MU - I think its works when its done right - but THATS the problem.

I look at our defence and honestly, my under 12s coach would have reamed us for it.

Over the last few years, its the real basics, handling, defence, support play that has let us down.

Thats why they just dont look like first graders - its the real boiled down basics they are getting wrong.
They r amateurs seeking money befitting genuine stars !

Tiger05

First Grade
Nofo is a terrible defender on the wing especially in our system where we compress so much. He simply doesn't have the speed to defend like that.

I agree that the system we have in place is just bad. When you add that to the fact that you have 4 poor defenders on that side then it's a massive issue. Replacing one of them with a gun defender wouldn't fix much.

Shredder

Juniors
Which is why you need to turn them all over mate.

This is the whole problem.

Day one, we went and spend a stack of money on players and since then we have f**ked with the team piece meal. We need a massive clean out, by your admission, at least on that side.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If that defender slides and makes his tackle it will immediately stop the up and in from the outside backs and forces them to slide which then ensures Nofo doesn't get outnumbered and immediately his defence improves immensely.

Lawrence does slide well in defence. Having him defend on the right in place of moses fixes that problem, while Moses will be on the left and protected by Taylor

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Which is why you need to turn them all over mate.

This is the whole problem.

Day one, we went and spend a stack of money on players and since then we have f**ked with the team piece meal. We need a massive clean out, by your admission, at least on that side.

a cleanout of big proportions.agreed
The poor defenders to go......
Keep Teddy and Woods..
Let the other 2 mini monors go ...
buy 2 competent halves.......who can tackle for gods sake...and have a bit of attacking nous

Give us a list of all the good defensive wingers in the game that would make a luck of difference to our right side defence.

There isn't one.

How many times have you seen one bloke had success defending 2 or 3 players every time?

Moses our back rower doesn't slide then simultaneously, Kev comes up and in while Moses stands still. It creates a huge gap between the two and a gap behind Kev. It also means Nofo has to come up and in and force a cut out pass.

Its an outdated defensive technique which doesn't work anymore.

Have the Storm had a poor defensive winger in the 15 years Bellyache has coached them? Likely not.

Nofo is a terrible defender on the wing especially in our system where we compress so much. He simply doesn't have the speed to defend like that.

I agree that the system we have in place is just bad. When you add that to the fact that you have 4 poor defenders on that side then it's a massive issue. Replacing one of them with a gun defender wouldn't fix much.

You're not getting it Tiger, he's got no choice. He either leaves a 15m hole between he and the witches hat on legs and the opposition stroll through 100% of the time, or he stays in which is his best chance of jamming the movement out wide and killing the play.