What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our weakness

goggles

Juniors
Well I did put him in my top 5.

He is ONE of the reasons, but if you are the BIG BOSS, as in our CEO and Board, And firstly you hired him, then you kept him in the job, then you are at more fault. (Aren't you?!)

Mary is THEIR invention.

Widdop as our captain is the boards fault too.....they hired the guy who put him there!

Just on a side note....Widdops haircut on the footy tonight, sort of says it all.

By this reasoning: If the board and CEO are responsible for the coach, surely the coach is responsible for "on field leadership", "super uninspiring so called captain" and "piss weak players Nene and Lafai"???

Old Timer

Coach
Gord.... give it a break.

Any damn way....our biggest weakness is our CEO and board if you really want to know.
Classic comment coming from you.
I hope he posts itv a thousand times more and it annoys the shit out of you each and every one of them.

Drag Queen

Bench
Of course Mary is the week link. But have to agree with twenty10 we sadly lack speed in the wings and centerd. I like Atkins and Lafai would benefit from a decent coach.
Nene has not shown much to make that spot his own. Nighty is a class player and should be looking at stepping aside now in favour of one of your Juniors.
People who say wingers don't win games should take a look at the storms wingers, each got 20 plus tries.
Lafaii and Aitkins would benefit from a desent coach. They both have the potential but they both should be on the radar and if they don't perform should be replaced.
Hunt and Graham are great buys for us but I'm worried that Mary does not have the game plans to exploit these players. The Power gsme, allbeit a good tool eventually fails due to the pressure of week after week games
Problem has to be Mary. Nene is the second fastest of our team and he's only 23. He could be brilliant. Just saying.

MrDragon007

Juniors
I think we will be right in 2018.
2017 broken down was as follows...
1: Widdop became predictable. He was our only go to option to make anything happen.
2: McInness showed he can play, he can distribute good ball and he showed on numerous occassions he can run too. But... tackling was the issue, he made 40+ tackles per game.
3: Our backs (the right edge of Aitkin/Dugan and Nene) showed in a few games that they have what it takes. They didnt show it enough because McCrone directed play on the right edges.
4: Our forwards stumbled from mid season onwards.
The positives, IMHO, are as follows....
1: Hunts signing takes an enourmous amount of pressure off Widdop. Widdop can play, he has shown that... Hunts inclusion will enable Widdop to contribute so much more because opposing teams cant just focus on him for us to make something happen.
2: With the addition of Graham, who is a tackling machine, that can take some of the workload off McInness.... enabling him to have some gas in the tank for a little more running out of dummy half, he can run, and is dangerous when he does.
3: With Hunt directing traffic on the right, i think Nene and Aitkins will shine, a dominant ball player on your side of the field is all it takes to turn average players into superstars.
4: Our forwards, Graham brings a whole new attitude to our pack. The guy is competitive, is consistent, and is a leader.
Instead of backrowers plugging the gaps up front, we now have forwards playing as forwards. I know alot bag out the Latimore signing, but he is a good depth signing that wont let the team down when called on.
That will enable us to give some of the boys breaks throughout the year to avoid burn out.
One more Big unit up front, a "Walmsley" or such, and we will be fine.
It all comes down to Mary doing what needs to be done, realising what the issues were in 2017 and taking the appropriate steps to fix those issues and insure they dont happen again in 2018.
I honestly see 2018 as being a good year for us, we will finish top 4, and really give the comp a good shake.

Drag Queen

Bench
Our weakness' have been many and for many years.
  1. Half back - Now finally resolved with Hunt.
  2. Service from dummy half - Now resolved as McInnes is very good in that aspect and a huge upgrade on Rein.
  3. Barn storming prop - Now resolved with Vaughan.
  4. Ball playing FB - Likely resolved with Dufty.
  5. Lack of speed out wide that can score long range tries - yet to be resolved.
  6. Running from DH - Yet to be included in game plan.
  7. Proper utilisation of bench - Yet to be included in game plan.
  8. Proper utilisation and blooding juniors - Yet to be included in game plan.
  9. Game plan - Yet to be included in game plan.
So 2 quick wingers and a competent coach will just about see us on our way to a top 4 position and really contending for several years.
The trouble is if we get the 2 wingers and don't address the other problem will we have yet another false dawn and finish 10th - 8th.
Get a good coach and don't get the wingers we will finish 8th - 6th but never really contend.
The 9 jersey is not the issue now and under a good coach Mc Inness will flourish but under this coach like so many others we will never see the best of him.
Really? Are you joking? Then I read game plan. FMD
Our weakness' have been many and for many years.
  1. Half back - Now finally resolved with Hunt.
  2. Service from dummy half - Now resolved as McInnes is very good in that aspect and a huge upgrade on Rein.
  3. Barn storming prop - Now resolved with Vaughan.
  4. Ball playing FB - Likely resolved with Dufty.
  5. Lack of speed out wide that can score long range tries - yet to be resolved.
  6. Running from DH - Yet to be included in game plan.
  7. Proper utilisation of bench - Yet to be included in game plan.
  8. Proper utilisation and blooding juniors - Yet to be included in game plan.
  9. Game plan - Yet to be included in game plan.
So 2 quick wingers and a competent coach will just about see us on our way to a top 4 position and really contending for several years.
The trouble is if we get the 2 wingers and don't address the other problem will we have yet another false dawn and finish 10th - 8th.
Get a good coach and don't get the wingers we will finish 8th - 6th but never really contend.
The 9 jersey is not the issue now and under a good coach Mc Inness will flourish but under this coach like so many others we will never see the best of him.
Nothing about your plan makes sense OT except #9

Drag Queen

Bench
I think we will be right in 2018.
2017 broken down was as follows...
1: Widdop became predictable. He was our only go to option to make anything happen.
2: McInness showed he can play, he can distribute good ball and he showed on numerous occassions he can run too. But... tackling was the issue, he made 40+ tackles per game.
3: Our backs (the right edge of Aitkin/Dugan and Nene) showed in a few games that they have what it takes. They didnt show it enough because McCrone directed play on the right edges.
4: Our forwards stumbled from mid season onwards.
The positives, IMHO, are as follows....
1: Hunts signing takes an enourmous amount of pressure off Widdop. Widdop can play, he has shown that... Hunts inclusion will enable Widdop to contribute so much more because opposing teams cant just focus on him for us to make something happen.
2: With the addition of Graham, who is a tackling machine, that can take some of the workload off McInness.... enabling him to have some gas in the tank for a little more running out of dummy half, he can run, and is dangerous when he does.
3: With Hunt directing traffic on the right, i think Nene and Aitkins will shine, a dominant ball player on your side of the field is all it takes to turn average players into superstars.
4: Our forwards, Graham brings a whole new attitude to our pack. The guy is competitive, is consistent, and is a leader.
Instead of backrowers plugging the gaps up front, we now have forwards playing as forwards. I know alot bag out the Latimore signing, but he is a good depth signing that wont let the team down when called on.
That will enable us to give some of the boys breaks throughout the year to avoid burn out.
One more Big unit up front, a "Walmsley" or such, and we will be fine.
It all comes down to Mary doing what needs to be done, realising what the issues were in 2017 and taking the appropriate steps to fix those issues and insure they dont happen again in 2018.
I honestly see 2018 as being a good year for us, we will finish top 4, and really give the comp a good shake.
A good summation but I doubt Walmsley is coming to us,

Drag Queen

Bench
Well I did put him in my top 5.

He is ONE of the reasons, but if you are the BIG BOSS, as in our CEO and Board, And firstly you hired him, then you kept him in the job, then you are at more fault. (Aren't you?!)

Mary is THEIR invention.

Widdop as our captain is the boards fault too.....they hired the guy who put him there!

Just on a side note....Widdops haircut on the footy tonight, sort of says it all.
Couldn't care less about Widdop's hair. I thought he played pretty well.

ouryear

Juniors
Couldn't care less about Widdop's hair. I thought he played pretty well.

Yeah he went ok.

Can only play who they put in front of him, not his fault it was that great league nation Lebanon.

You would want to go ok against that lot wouldn't you, LOL.

His passes were good.

Shame he never took on the line, just passed the ball metres in front of any defenders....but that's his game I guess.

It won't do.much vs storm, roosters, cowboys, sharks and so on.

Rugged and tough five eighth isn't he....not.

At least little Benny Hunt will take the line on, so one out of two isn't bad.....is it.

Crush

Coach
As previously stated I think our weaknesses are our lack of speed in the outside backs and also McGregors poor use of bench and his inability to make changes and think on his feet. He seems stubborn or something. Why he persisted with Lafai in 2016 was ludicrous or McCrone in 2017. In 2018 if something isn't working then I want to see changes made before another season slips away.
That being said I think we will have an excellent 2018. I hope we can use the skill we have in the younger guys such as dufty, field, lomax, leilua to our full advantage. Id trial Field all season in reserves as a winger. We need wingers in first grade not halves or fullbacks now. Bring him in to replace nighty once he leaves then later in his career he can move from the wing to the spine if hes good enough.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Agree with the rotation , or lack there of.

With Cam Mc, I am confident that this kid can play. Making 50 tackles a game takes it out of you, and he was given no " off time". That is management.

He was the top tackler in the NRL...

he has shown the ability to run the ball in rare cases, but it appears to me to be a directive of the coaching staff to have him as a tackling machine and ball distributor from D/H.

That must change. On the rare occasions he did surprise the defence and ran from H/H, he was impressive.

he is not our problem... Game plan is.
Agree fully with what you say Tru......I was on about it big time last season.....Its not just the amount of tackles Cam makes if you study his defence hes usually the first one in on the tackle takes on the big opposition forwards head on, which in itself takes a heavy toll on his body.....if you take the other Cam, Smith from Storm he is on most occasions the last person in on the tackle (a ploy he uses to slow the play the ball down ) which users up far less juice and thefefore hes got the energy to dart from dummy half and control the ruck area.....unless MaCgregor (if hes capable) changes his game plan for McInness then expect the same in 2018

Reddragon

Bench
Totally disagree with this. They didn't show anything, except individual moments. No cohesive structure at all in attack or defense.

goggles

Juniors
Yea for employing a coach that cant coach ......
Well said hb. And they did this not only once, but twice. And then extended both of their contracts!!!
Add to this the useless 'jobs for the boys' assistants and letting Demitriou walk away with a year left on his contract... the mind boggles.

grouch

First Grade
The Cowboys made the grand final with slow blokes like Linnett, Winterstein and Coote in the backline.

Sack McGregor