What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outgoing ARLC chairman John Grant wants to stay on RLIF board

Vee

First Grade
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...ts-to-stay-on-rlif-board-20171103-gzelkd.html
Steve Mascord3 November 2017 - 07:01pm

Departing Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant has admitted he'd like to stay on the board of the sport's international governing body - but has described as "fanciful" and "putting the cart before the horse" speculation he will be its chairman.

The Rugby League International Federation was meeting in Sydney late this week, with one of the key decisions being how to replace departing CEO David Collier, who will vacate the post in May.

A number of sources told Fairfax Media Grant could end up with the chairmanship, with the current chairman, Nigel Wood, becoming Collier's replacement.

"I don't know how anyone could draw that conclusion - the Federation already has a chairman in Nigel Wood and he has at least a year to run in that role," Grant told Fairfax Media.

"It's a bloody good story if you can get someone to substantiate it but I'm certainly not in a position to do so. It's putting the cart before the horse.

"If I remain on the Federation as Australia's appointee, that will be at the pleasure of the Australian Rugby League Commission and not my decision.

"There's nothing to say that a member of the RLIF board has to be anything other than the appointee of a member country."

But Grant admitted he was interested in staying on. "Yes, I am very interested in international rugby league and the way it is expanding and becoming so much more important."

Asked if Wood might become CEO, which would allow him to be chairman, Grant said: "Well, I guess that's a possibility.

"But one of the things we have to do is work out a process for replacing David Collier. Some time before Christmas we will put a process in place and go from there in assessing candidates.

"To say these decisions have already been made is fanciful."

Given Grant and Wood have each faced heavy criticism in their respective countries domestically, such appointments would no doubt be controversial. Wood would have the option to stand down as chief executive of Britain's Rugby Football League to take up Collier's post.

The RLIF is attempting to put a Nines World Cup in place and is in discussions with promoter Jason Moore over the 2025 World Cup in North America. It also continues to be locked out of the Global Association of International Sports Federations.

An Australian chairman with no official authority in Australia could further distance the international game from the NRL – but it could also free up Grant to prioritise the world game without being conflicted by his duty to clubs.

However, Grant would have to deal with the clubs who wanted him removed from the ARLC chairmanship as he works on an international calendar that requires them to release players.

Please God, No! Surely, No!!! Or as Gus would say, "No, No, No, No, No!!!"

Is there any upside to this given his record in charge of the ARLC?

Last Week

Bench
Says the international game is important, cancels all kangaroo games in 2018. frick you grant, get your nose out of the trough.

Introduced mid year pacific tests.
Decided against the Kangaroos having a front of jersey sponsor.
Has come and and said/tried and has treated the Kangaroos jersey as the pinnacle for the game in Australia.

He has his faults, but his passion for the international game cannot be questioned. He has the right mindset.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Has come and and said/tried and has treated the Kangaroos jersey as the pinnacle for the game in Australia.

He has his faults, but his passion for the international game cannot be questioned. He has the right mindset.

Yeh, the green and gold V as the NRL logo (and the Black-White equivilant for NZ) shows the regard he holds for the international game.

I wouldnt mind seeing him on the board as long as it isnt just an ego trip. Hold the IRLF can land a decent CEO though...

Is that why the Roos will never play a test during the season again? And why they won't play AT ALL next year? He's treated the Kangaroo jersey as not worthy of being part of the rugby league season. He couldn't sell the jersey sponsorship and pretended it was a deliberate choice not to have one, even though their mantra any other time is revenue over anything else. The jersey also looks like shit these days and they've f**ked up the shorts and socks. He shouldn't be anywhere near any RL organisation ever again.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How did the nrl score against its 5 year strategic plan? How much better is the game today than 2012 after spending $2bill? How happy are the games stakeholders? And the man leading the commission in this time? Yeh let's put him in charge of the rlif and see if he can stagnate that org as well as he has the nrl!

insert.pause

First Grade

And on the seventh day John created man... He would definitely agree with you.

He's desperately trying to cling on to the prestige & free junkets to Europe. The guy has repeatedly shown to be all about himself.