What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Over rated artists

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Well it's interesting that you've gotta start from the mid-80's otherwise you might have had to mention Paul Di'Anno, Clive Burr, Dennis Stratten...

True, but I think their most iconic lineup is the one from when I mentioned (Harris/Dickinson/Smith/Murray/McBrain) and they’ve done a pretty good job of keeping it intact.

No Prayer for the Dying was absolutely phoned in and signaled the start of a terrible era for Iron Maiden that lasted throughout the entire 1990's. I was a massive Iron Maiden fan in the 80's and other than seeing a few shows after Bruce came back they've certainly not recaptured my interest.

I wouldn’t say “No Prayer” was phoned in, more a case of trying a different direction and it not working. They did have a bit of an issue with knowing what they wanted to do for a few albums there though, granted. But since Brave New World when both Dickinson and Smith came back, they’ve released albums that have been solid at worst and excellent at best.

This is one of the main reasons why:

Haha I can’t say I have much feeling either way about him as long as Smith and Murray are both there. But he definitely helps them fill the sound out live.

The first name that comes to mind is Kendrick Lamar.

Absolute rat shit.

Is that really what the kids love these days?

I think Kendrick's issue is more to do with the fact that other hip hop acts who are pushed by mainstream labels are that much worse...he is kinda the best out of the worst. I personally don't think he is horrible, but he is overrated given that next to a whole hoard of independent hip hop acts he doesn't even come close...he himself highlighted this with regards to Run The Jewels, in a song.

Compared to the golden era of the late 80s/early-mid 90s...he absolutely is overrated.

Or you might just hate hip hop in general...in which case fair enough haha

bileduct

Coach
Haha I can’t say I have much feeling either way about him as long as Smith and Murray are both there. But he definitely helps them fill the sound out live.
To me at least, Smith and Murray are the best dueling guitar combo I've listened to. It f**king hurt listening to Gers trying to play Smith's parts, he was absolutely wretched and the exact opposite of Smith's carefully rehearsed performances. Murray would always improvise a bit in his playing, and it didn't go well with Gers seemingly random note plucking.

Live After Death is the best live album of all time by anyone, and I'll f**king stab ya if you say otherwise.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
To me at least, Smith and Murray are the best dueling guitar combo I've listened to. It f**king hurt listening to Gers trying to play Smith's parts, he was absolutely wretched and the exact opposite of Smith's carefully rehearsed performances. Murray would always improvise a bit in his playing, and it didn't go well with Gers seemingly random note plucking.

Live After Death is the best live album of all time by anyone, and I'll f**king stab ya if you say otherwise.
Go home and die at your hand.

LESStar58

Referee
I think Kendrick's issue is more to do with the fact that other hip hop acts who are pushed by mainstream labels are that much worse...he is kinda the best out of the worst. I personally don't think he is horrible, but he is overrated given that next to a whole hoard of independent hip hop acts he doesn't even come close...he himself highlighted this with regards to Run The Jewels, in a song.

Compared to the golden era of the late 80s/early-mid 90s...he absolutely is overrated.

Or you might just hate hip hop in general...in which case fair enough haha

The extent of my hip-hop listening is Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples, Public Enemy, Cypress HIll and NAughty By Nature.

Compared to them Kendrick Lamar is an absolute pretender.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

They're right up there, only Tipton/Downing and Hanneman/King come close (and the latter are obviously in a completely different style).

Haha yeah I'd agree there too and the only contenders for competition would be the same two bands, with Decade of Aggression and Unleashed in the East.

bileduct

Coach
They're right up there, only Tipton/Downing and Hanneman/King come close (and the latter are obviously in a completely different style).

Haha yeah I'd agree there too and the only contenders for competition would be the same two bands, with Decade of Aggression and Unleashed in the East.
Yeah, Hanneman/King and Decade of Aggression are right up there for me too.

JP's Painkiller was a good example of a band moving with the times whereas Maiden kinda retreated back into their shell.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Priest have always been more progressive, they were almost prog rock in the 70s, became an archetypal metal band, then changed it up a couple of times sound wise in the 80s before showing the thrash bands a thing or two on Painkiller. But they had some pretty big misfires in the process too.
Maiden on the other hand had really found their sound by Piece of Mind and have been best when they've stuck pretty closely to what works for them, No Prayer for the Dying was their attempt to change with the times and as we've discussed it didn't work.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The Rolling Stones. I like a lot of old music but I’ve just never understood how they got so big for so long with the songs they wrote.

AusKnightRKO

First Grade
The first name that comes to mind is Kendrick Lamar.

Absolute rat shit.

Is that really what the kids love these days?

Oh and Courney Barnett might be the least talented singer/songwriter to ever get so much airtime on JJJ.

She belongs in an outback pub with no patrons. Awful.

Her voice sounds like self harm
Go listen to Good kid, mad city from KL.

mongoose

Coach
The extent of my hip-hop listening is Jurassic 5, Dilated Peoples, Public Enemy, Cypress HIll and NAughty By Nature.

Compared to them Kendrick Lamar is an absolute pretender.

A tribe called quest's recent album was pretty great. The Roots have done some good stuff.

Outkast were okay but also a bit overrated.

LESStar58

Referee
A tribe called quest's recent album was pretty great. The Roots have done some good stuff.

Outkast were okay but also a bit overrated.

Damn. How could I forget the Roots!?!?

Saw J5 and The Roots do a co-headliner show as a sideshow for Livid 2003. It was off the f**king chain!

adamkungl

Immortal
Priest have always been more progressive, they were almost prog rock in the 70s, became an archetypal metal band, then changed it up a couple of times sound wise in the 80s before showing the thrash bands a thing or two on Painkiller. But they had some pretty big misfires in the process too.
Maiden on the other hand had really found their sound by Piece of Mind and have been best when they've stuck pretty closely to what works for them, No Prayer for the Dying was their attempt to change with the times and as we've discussed it didn't work.

You ever check out AngryMetalGuy's 'Every Maiden Album Ranked' series? Some curveballs in there..
http://www.angrymetalguy.com/iron-maiden-from-worst-to-best-15-13/

They're currently giving JP the same treatment

Eelementary

Post Whore
Dylan is probably the best call on this thread

The Bowie call is amazing. Sure he didn’t have a great voice but in my mind no one beats him for a career in music. Amazing performer and character

Not even Michael Jackson?

I like Bowie - he has some great songs.

But his voice was very, very ordinary - hence the overrated tag.

Latest posts