Pacific Test thread

Discussion in 'International' started by milton, Jun 14, 2018.

1. milton

milton Juniors

Fiji Bati

1. Kevin Naiqama (c)
    2. Suliasi Vunivalu
    3. Akuila Uate
    4. Tyrone Phillips
    5. Marcelo Montoya
    6. Jarryd Hayne
    7. Henry Raiwalui
    8. Kane Evans
    9. Joe Lovodua
    10. Tui Kamikamica
    11. King Vuniyayawa
    12. Salesi Junior Fainga'a
    13. Jayson Bukuya

14. Eloni Vunakece
    15. Pio Seci
    16. Sitiveni Moceidreke
    17. Pio Sokobalavu
    18. Mikaele Ravalawa
    19. Junior Roqica

PNG squad
    Adex Wera (PNG Hunters), Enock Maki (PNG Hunters), Nene Macdonald (St George Illawarra Dragons), Junior Rau (PNG Hunters), Justin Olam (Melbourne Storm), Kurt Baptiste (Sydney Roosters), Lachlan Lam (Sydney Roosters), Luke Page (Burleigh Bears), James Segeyaro (Cronulla Sharks), Nixon Putt (PNG Hunters), Rhadley Brawa (PNG Hunters), Rhyse Martin (Canterbury Bulldogs), Richard Pandia (Ipswich Jets), Rod Griffin (Townsville Blackhawks), Stanton Albert (PNG Hunters), Thompson Teteh (PNG Hunters), Watson Boas (PNG Hunters), Willie Minoga (PNG Hunters)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018 at 6:22 PM
  2. StadiumXIII

StadiumXIII Juniors

Hoping the Fiji team contains at the very least 1 local player, same goes with Samoa and Tonga..

Coastbloke likes this.
  3. welshmagpie

welshmagpie Juniors

4. Burns

Burns Bench

Thought this would have sold out by now?

5. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

Last year there were heaps of people lining up to buy tickets.
    I would imagine it will be the same this year.
    Plus don’t forget there’s two less teams this year.

6. Burns

Burns Bench

Probably more the kind of crowd to buy at the gate I guess.

Good to see NRL 360 being as condescending as possible towards the Pacific Test in the first 30 seconds just now.

7. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

Glad I f**ked Fox off

8. Scubby

Scubby Juniors

Tonga would have competed and possibly beaten the Queensland team from that first game. The double standards is embarrassing.

9. titoelcolombiano

titoelcolombiano Juniors

Does anyone else see the Pacific Test evolving into something like State of Origin? Ok hear me out here I know you are all thinking there is no chance. But Origin wasn't played in front of huge crowds at every game in the very beginning, the TV ratings were nowhere near as monstrous in the beginning and the media attention was nowhere near what it is now. Origin grew in popularity because of the genuinely fierce rivalry and passion.

Tonga and Samoa are the only thing that comes close to Origin in RL for genuine rivalry and passion. This concept could seriously grow and be a huge vehicle for both countries to attract revenue and players. The concept could also be played to huge crowds in most cities in Australia and New Zealand as well as on the islands themselves.

Think about it in the longer term - three tests a year one in NZ, one in Aus and one on the islands (rotating between Samoa and Tonga each year). General RL fans and Polynesians from around the world tuning in each game to see the colour, passion, excitement and athletisism of what would be (at full-strength) some of the best players in the game.

10. IntRLEnthusiast

IntRLEnthusiast Juniors

Yes... but think it could be bigger.. in that it could have a bigger impact on the game because there is more room for it to expand and more opportunity for it to have a bigger impact... Tonga V Samoa.. 3 match series that everyone wants to watch and then.. NZ has a series with one and England a series with another and both have now a reasonable chance of attracting bumper crowds.. International Rugby League has been limited because it all looks the same.. But suddenly.. it is not.. and it will attract an audience in all sorts of places..

On another note.. If the guy running the Denver test can get 20000 people who know nothing of RL to come to a game then surely he could do something even better with a pacific cup concept played across a few pacific nations.. I am really hoping this is the dawning of a new era!! And if this years Samoa Tonga test sells out.. and next year they take it to a bigger stadium.. It could very quickly be vital to the future success of the game.

titoelcolombiano likes this.
  11. siv

siv Bench

I would it to evolve into a 4 nation series over 3 weekends

Top 2 join NZ Australia England winner of a Euro 4 nations - in a northern hemishphere post season 6 nations

Bottom 2 should play in a Tier 2 6 nations with Cook Is Niue Vanuatu and Hawaii

Perth Tiger and titoelcolombiano like this.
  12. Storm13

Storm13 Juniors

Would love to see a 6 nations once every four years between NZ, AUS, TON, PNG, SAM and FIJI over five weekends as triple headers. Played at Syd, Mel, Bris, Perth, NZ and maybe even PNG. Make it into an event.

Could even have mid year test count as round one to save time.

13. Springs09

Springs09 Juniors

Okay idea but Hawaii isn't a nation

14. DC80

DC80 Juniors

It’s an occupied territory.

15. JasonE

JasonE Bench

I was surprised to see Matt Parish still coaching Samoa, I can’t believe he wasn’t sacked after the WC cos he has taken them so far backwards it’s incredible.
    What is his win/loss record ?