Pantherjims Irish politics thread

Discussion in 'Four Corners' started by Pommy, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

I don’t even get what point you are trying to make.

Ulster is the colequiael name for the north, I understand that it doesn’t include all of the traditional counties of ulster but that’s still what many people call it. Much like calling an AR15a military weapon, it’s good enough unless you want an argument on the internet.

Londonderry/Derry both in city and county are still officially Londonderry as far as I am aware. A quick google showed the same, I don’t give a toss of they call it leprechaun town, but if you could give a citation to show me its changed I would find it interesting.

Tourism Ireland a body funded by both UK and ROI governments in the wake of the GF agreement seem to recognise 4 provinces with Ulster as one of them. https://www.ireland.com/en-us/about-ireland/discover-ireland/ireland-counties-and-provinces/
    If this has changed could you please provide a citation?

2. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

3. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

4. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

It should be up to Derry City Council as to whether they change their name or not.

Not Stormont and certainly not the British Crown.

Given that Derry is vast majority Catholic/Nationalist/Republican, they have voted in favour of the name change and the people of Derry should get their wish. Do you disagree?

5. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

As I said I don’t care, I’m just pointing out what you said is wrong.

6. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

I wasn't wrong.

The Derry Council has voted in favour of changing it back to "Derry"

What the British Crown and Stormont believes is irrelevant.

7. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

Lol ok then. You do know the Irish government makes allowances for both names also?

But ok your right, you win the internet lol

8. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

Oh come on Pommy, it’s nothing like that.

I still love ya, you and that sweaty, athletic Bear Grylls exterior jogging through public parks.

I’m not gay, but I can learn mate.

9. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

Yeah ok try to be funny despite denying facts to proclaim yourself right, I think we’ve found Aliens new alias.

10. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

I’m not proclaiming myself right mate, I’m proclaiming the Nationalist Community of Derry right. Their Council has voted via massive majority to restore the original native name. They have the right to self determine the name of their city.

It doesn’t matter what Stormont or the British crown thinks.

I’d say within a decade, all this discussion won’t matter. The six counties will be ruled from Dublin, and the Loyalist community can either like it or move back to where their ancestors came from.

11. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

Well you are as the council doesn’t have the power to change their name. No point in banging on about democracy if you ignore the system it’s set up in. The Good Friday agreement voted for by these same people recognises the power those two bodies hold. You can pick and chose.

12. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

Why not and more importantly, why shouldn’t they?

They do in this country.

13. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

Probably because if you let them do this change, something I’m not opposed to by the way. You would get f**kwits from both sides taking the piss. Who’s to stop other towns being renamed with sectarian names?
    The status quo of Derry/Londonderry and having the option to use either in offical terms ie you can choose to have either in your passport, driving licence etc seems like a sensible compromise.

Your attitude on this issue always makes me laugh. You say things that if Smack or Alien said about Lebenese or Asian Australians you would rip right in to them.

14. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

How is it Sectarian?

The original native name was Daire Calgaich which was later anglicised to “Derry”

Londonderry was the name adopted by the invader.

If anything “Londonderry” is more sectarian.

WTF are you on about here?

Are you seriously comparing Asian and Lebanese immigration in Australia to the Ulster Plantation in Northern Ireland??

Hahahahaha!

I invite you to do a bit of research on the Ulster plantation.

I must have missed the part of history where Lebanese and Asians invaded us, nicked our lands off us and forced us to practice their religion under pain of being treated as second class citizens.

But then again, the Poms had already done that to the indigenous population here, so I guess there was no further cause for it was there?

15. Pommy

Pommy First Grade

I’m not saying this renaming is sectarian I have no issue with it being renamed Derry. You asked why the council don’t have powers to do so.

I’m saying telling people to go back to where there ancestors came from if they don’t like it isn’t very left wing of you. But you just excuse your bigotry because Poms etc etc.

16. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

Having spent time in both the bogside and the waterside, I can categorically say that nothing good can possibly come of this thread.

17. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

Meh, talk to Admin/The Mods.

I’m more than happy to have it closed.

It was split into a separate thread from the Florida school massacre thread because unfortunately I went off with Pommy on a different tangent.

18. AJB1102

AJB1102 Juniors

Idiots do silly things.

Not your fault, mate. I imagine you were born that way.

19. SBD82

SBD82 Bench

I'm not advocating it being closed. I'm just saying this doesn't end well.

20. Pantherjim.

Pantherjim. Coach

My apologies.

But to be fair, I’m not the only one here who goes off on tangents and takes threads off topic.

AJB1102 likes this.