What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers had the easiest draw this year.

betcats

Referee
We played the top four sides once each I believe and most if not all of the bottom four sides twice. If we'd had to play any one of them twice our season would be over.

I'll try be positive since I never do haha. We had both Easts and Cows beat until the ref directly lost us both games with dud calls in the last 5mins

pantherz9103

First Grade
It's not like we're the only side who received a fortunate draw, which mind you is done before the season. I would have thought 2 games against last season's preliminary finalists Canberra could be tough but we won both and that helped them to miss the finals this season.

The Dragons had an easy draw yet lost to the Bulldogs *2, Knights, Rabbitohs and Titans.

The real thing that should be irritating is losing twice to both Souffs and the Dragons, not constantly highlighting that we got lucky playing top sides only once.

OldPanther

Coach
We played the top four sides once each I believe and most if not all of the bottom four sides twice. If we'd had to play any one of them twice our season would be over.

Yep. Look at the Tigers who played more top 8 than we did. We'd be like them.

OldPanther

Coach
It's not like we're the only side who received a fortunate draw, which mind you is done before the season. I would have thought 2 games against last season's preliminary finalists Canberra could be tough but we won both and that helped them to miss the finals this season.

The Dragons had an easy draw yet lost to the Bulldogs *2, Knights, Rabbitohs and Titans.

The real thing that should be irritating is losing twice to both Souffs and the Dragons, not constantly highlighting that we got lucky playing top sides only once.

I think that highlights our inconsistency.

mxlegend99

Referee
Pretty obvious we had the easiest draw from the start.

We didn't win a single game against a decent team in good form. We lost plenty to shit teams with average form.

But hey we scraped into the top 8 with a side picked to be a premiership threat... that's a successful season. Even if we have gone backwards since last year in nearly all areas.

pantherz9103

First Grade
Pretty obvious we had the easiest draw from the start.

We didn't win a single game against a decent team in good form. We lost plenty to shit teams with average form.

But hey we scraped into the top 8 with a side picked to be a premiership threat... that's a successful season. Even if we have gone backwards since last year in nearly all areas.

We beat Manly after they had won 5 in a row.

I agree that we've been disappointing but we haven't been the most disappointing. Canberra was more disappointing than us and should clearly have been favoured to have a better season than us at the start of the season, because they came 3rd and we came 6th last year.

For us to be rated a premiership favourite based on a 2 month period last season when we looked good and stylish in dismantling average to crap teams was always a bit silly and a case of many people jumping the gun.

betcats

Referee
We were never premiership favourites, that was silly. But I honestly believe there are 4 or 5 coaches who would have our side in the top four.

TheFrog

Coach
How do you justify this system of the Storm being worth 16 and the Knights 1? If I were undertaking an exercise such as this, I'd give points according to number of wins, ie Storm 20, Knights 5. It may or may not make much difference, but it would at least reflect the likelihood of winning each game more accurately.

You also need to deduct points from Parramatta for playing a Storm side that were only worth 8 or 10 points, not 20. Other teams got games easier than they otherwise would have been due to Origin, but this was the most glaring of them. From the seat of my pants, my feeling is that Parra and the Dragons had easier draws than us.

Last edited:

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
If we beat North Queensland in Townsville then we'd only have one win against top eight sides.

Shows how flawed the statistic is.

OldPanther

Coach
How do you justify this system of the Storm being worth 16 and the Knights 1? If I were undertaking an exercise such as this, I'd give points according to number of wins, ie Storm 20, Knights 5. It may or may not make much difference, but it would at least reflect the likelihood of winning each game more accurately.

You also need to deduct points from Parramatta for playing a Storm side that were only worth 8 or 10 points, not 20. Other teams got games easier than they otherwise would have been due to Origin, but this was the most glaring of them. From the seat of my pants, my feeling is that Parra and the Dragons had easier draws than us.

It's entirely based on who ended where on the ladder. Same result as when you say how easy someone's draw is based on previous years ladder positions just using the current year.

hindy111

Post Whore

Do you deduct points for playing the cowboys with or without Thurston.Broncos without Milford.
Parra pre Moses.
Games in wet.
Roosters played storm while they missed origin players.
5 day turn arounds?

Players your team had missing?

When all is said and done id say the 8 best teams are in the 8. And it about the correct order or quite close.

forby

Juniors
From the table shown, the top 9 teams had the top 10 easiest draws. Only the warriors missed out!
Just shows it doesn't mean a toss!

tripster

Juniors
From the table shown, the top 9 teams had the top 10 easiest draws. Only the warriors missed out!
Just shows it doesn't mean a toss!

Exactly - it is a flawed method that justifies the difficulty of the draw based on the final results of the season.

There is no doubt that it was to our advantage to play the Storm only once for example, but it becomes much more difficult to measure the relative difficulties of some of the other games - certainly more difficult than this method suggests.

TheFrog

Coach
Do you deduct points for playing the cowboys with or without Thurston.
No. Injuries are more or less random, or at least not able to be predicted before the start, but who got the free pass against the Storm was determined before the season started.

It's entirely based on who ended where on the ladder.
Understand the methodology used, just don't agree with it.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
No. Injuries are more or less random, or at least not able to be predicted before the start, but who got the free pass against the Storm was determined before the season started.

Understand the methodology used, just don't agree with it.

That's fine. I didn't do it but thought it was interesting. No one really has to take it seriously.

Fangs

Coach
We had the easiest draw. Someone has to. Own it and move on.

This is true.

Easiest draw in the comp prior to round 1. And upon reflection at the end of the season nothing has changed.

It can and will be used as evidence that our team has seriously under performed so far in 2017.

MrBlack

Juniors
Can only play who you are told.

If I am correct, the draw is loosely based on where you finish last year??

Have a look at the final positions last year.

Roosters, Manly, Dragons, Eels all finish near the bottom of the ladder, yet this year all finish towards the top (Dragons falling away). This would negate any attempt to get a fair draw. We were just one of the lucky ones.

Latest posts