What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers need to be held to account

How many Sharks' first graders played in the 9s today? A second string team if ever there was one.Wouldn't wet my strides over beating them.They have a WCC to attend to shortly.

Graham
Lewis
Prior
Beale
Leutele
Bird
Heighington

All played in the game

Perth Red

Post Whore
This has nothing to do with what team they have sent, it is to do with publicly slagging off a major nrl event, AGAIN!

Blues Riff

Bench
Yes, the right to have an opinion. It's OK for you and me to hide behind cartoon characters and criticise an institution, but not someone who is involved and experienced? You think we should all toe the party line eh?

betcats

Referee
Even tho the panthers did well I was more happy that we got through injury free, I wasn't disappointed when we lost. I don't care about the 9s and have no problem with Gus and Fletcher feeling the same way. Let teams send what ever squad they want then you wont get club executives coming out with these comments because they wont be under pressure to be sending their nrl stars. The 9s should live and die by popularity of the format, it shouldn't take NRL star power from every club to get people to take interest, if it does then just get rid of it.

adamkungl

Immortal
The 9s should live and die by popularity of the format, it shouldn't take NRL star power from every club to get people to take interest, if it does then just get rid of it.

No one's paying good money to watch an under 20s comp, even if they are guns.

Clubs entered in the NRL should be required to support the NRL's endeavors to grow the game. Not everyone is going to agree with them all the time, and I think it's fair game to criticise if they feel that way.

But a lot of fans and presumably a lot of people involved in the game have lost a lot of respect for Gus (and by extension the Panthers) the way he's carried on. It's the same way he carries on about expansion of the game (even Melbourne quite recently) and it's clear he has no care about what happens to the sport outside of Penrith.

Also I'm well aware that you nor any other Penrith fans give two shits about my opinion of Gus.

betcats

Referee

Clubs entered in the NRL should be required to support the NRL's endeavors to grow the game. Not everyone is going to agree with them all the time, and I think it's fair game to criticise if they feel that way.

But a lot of fans and presumably a lot of people involved in the game have lost a lot of respect for Gus (and by extension the Panthers) the way he's carried on. It's the same way he carries on about expansion of the game (even Melbourne quite recently) and it's clear he has no care about what happens to the sport outside of Penrith.

Also I'm well aware that you nor any other Penrith fans give two shits about my opinion of Gus.

By growing the game do you mean growing their profits and increasing their salaries? Lol its not growing the game very much imo and it looks like it won't even be in Auckland much longer and from what ive seen its becoming less popular. Most of the standout performances at the tournament came from younger players some even uncapped in the NRL. Similar to last year with Bevan French being the star. Forcing clubs to risk there best players when it might not even give them the best chance of winning is just complete stupidity from the NRL. Watching the cowboys stars didn't make the format any less boring for me, but it was fun watching Ponga and that Mosby kid tear it up. In fact I was more interested in seeing the young guys from every I was seeing JT or Taumololololo go around, Guys like Field, Cleary,Watson, Ponga and Latrell are the reason I watched.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
By growing the game do you mean growing their profits and increasing their salaries? Lol its not growing the game very much imo and it looks like it won't even be in Auckland much longer and from what ive seen its becoming less popular. Most of the standout performances at the tournament came from younger players some even uncapped in the NRL. Similar to last year with Bevan French being the star. Forcing clubs to risk there best players when it might not even give them the best chance of winning is just complete stupidity from the NRL. Watching the cowboys stars didn't make the format any less boring for me.

Whether it's in Auckland or Brisbane (I'd hope we wouldn't waste it in Brisbane) doesn't change the fact that it needs at least some stars to sell tickets and TV ads, without which it could not be staged. The actual requirements are pretty f**king lenient, 1 top 5 player and 12 of your top 25, which Penrith wasn't even required to meet because they supposedly have 56 injured players a month out from round 1.

As for growing the game
- It kicks off the season in a Union town with a big, positive event where the only negativity comes from self-interested, short-sighted coaches and club officials.
- It gets people more interested and than any trial matches or dud All Stars games could possibly do
- It has been instrumental in the growth of the womens game via the Jillaroos and Ferns getting the opportunity to play in front of big crowds alongside NRL stars
- It brings new fans by highlighting the kind of freak plays and athletic brilliance that RL is known for, without getting too bogged down in defensive arm-wrestles and penalties.

betcats

Referee
Whether it's in Auckland or Brisbane (I'd hope we wouldn't waste it in Brisbane) doesn't change the fact that it needs at least some stars to sell tickets and TV ads, without which it could not be staged. The actual requirements are pretty f**king lenient, 1 top 5 player and 12 of your top 25, which Penrith wasn't even required to meet because they supposedly have 56 injured players a month out from round 1.

As for growing the game
- It kicks off the season in a Union town with a big, positive event where the only negativity comes from self-interested, short-sighted coaches and club officials.
- It gets people more interested and than any trial matches or dud All Stars games could possibly do
- It has been instrumental in the growth of the womens game via the Jillaroos and Ferns getting the opportunity to play in front of big crowds alongside NRL stars
- It brings new fans by highlighting the kind of freak plays and athletic brilliance that RL is known for, without getting too bogged down in defensive arm-wrestles and penalties.

Its probably not going to be in Auckland much longer so the whole union thing doesn't really count and if they move it to Brisbane how is it bringing new fans at all?

People like it because its the first footy of the new year and people are keen to see anything after the offseason. These people don't need there to be stars in every team to buy tickets. And as I stated the best performances usually come from younger/fringe guys so you don't nee stars to highlight the attacking brilliance of rugby league players.

This "growing the game" line gets trotted out way to much in RL these days. We move origin and club games already to places like Perth, Melbourne, Darwin and NZ and country NSW. IF the NRL really wants to grow the game they need to get busy with the schools and junior levels(there are AFL ovals in schools all across NSW now), a pointless 9s tournament isn't bringing new fans to the game(its not even real footy) its just fattening some wallets. People use that line like its the be all end all, its f**king stupid we have clubs across Sydney who cant get a decent home crowd but they are forced to risk their best players in some shoddy format of the game in a preseason tourney to "grow the game".

adamkungl

Immortal
Its probably not going to be in Auckland much longer so the whole union thing doesn't really count and if they move it to Brisbane how is it bringing new fans at all?

Literally just said "I'd hope we wouldn't waste it in Brisbane"

People like it because its the first footy of the new year and people are keen to see anything after the offseason. These people don't need there to be stars in every team to buy tickets. And as I stated the best performances usually come from younger/fringe guys so you don't nee stars to highlight the attacking brilliance of rugby league players.

This "growing the game" line gets trotted out way to much in RL these days. We move origin and club games already to places like Perth, Melbourne, Darwin and NZ and country NSW. IF the NRL really wants to grow the game they need to get busy with the schools and junior levels(there are AFL ovals in schools all across NSW now), a pointless 9s tournament isn't bringing new fans to the game(its not even real footy) its just fattening some wallets. People use that line like its the be all end all, its f**king stupid.

I pointed out how exactly it grows the game. If you don't understand that players like Hayne and Thurston sell tickets, regardless of how the tournament actually plays out, then you're beyond help on this one.

The rest of your post is just sooking.

franklin2323

Immortal

Hayne, Johnson and JT got an appearance fee. They don't play without that. Do it to all the stars they want there. Let the clubs pick the rest

adamkungl

Immortal
Hayne, Johnson and JT got an appearance fee. They don't play without that. Do it to all the stars they want there. Let the clubs pick the rest

Every club got a quite sizeable appearance fee which is worth more $ than the minor premiership.

Panthers got something like 250k for making the final.

Every club got to design a shitty new jersey to sell to fans for $170 a pop, every year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Every club got a quite sizeable appearance fee which is worth more $ than the minor premiership.

Panthers got something like 250k for making the final.

Every club got to design a shitty new jersey to sell to fans for $170 a pop, every year.

you guys won and got 370k or something. If Friend or Pearce played and got injured. Does it make up for the poor season coming up?

betcats

Referee
Literally just said "I'd hope we wouldn't waste it in Brisbane"

I pointed out how exactly it grows the game. If you don't understand that players like Hayne and Thurston sell tickets, regardless of how the tournament actually plays out, then you're beyond help on this one.

The rest of your post is just sooking.

Yeah but they aren't trying to make a deal to move it from Auckland for no reason, so you can hope want you want but it wont stay there which makes the whole growing the game point invalid, but you keep banging on about that like it actually means something lol. Atleast if they move it to Brisbane you wont need Hayne and JT to sell tickets, people will show up regardless.

Your explanation was shit, your point about it being in a union town is shit because the NRL is literally trying to pull it away from Auckland so it must not being doing much 'growing the game' or atleast they don't care if it is or not.

Your point about the women is dumb, you don't need every club sending a squad with numerous NRL stars for to promote the jillaroos so you're reaching there. Women's sports in general is taking off around the globe, but that was a nice try.

As for highlighting the attacking brilliance of rugby league, its the young guys who are killing it in this format anyway so that doesn't help your argument at all.

adamkungl

Immortal
you guys won and got 370k or something. If Friend or Pearce played and got injured. Does it make up for the poor season coming up?

It is what it is. They might get injured in trials. Or do an ACL at training. Or in the All Stars match. Or in Round 1. Or in a bloody car crash.

Breaking your leg in round 1 doesn't make it any better because 'at least it's a real game'. It's a long season and if your halfback goes down in round 26 you're just as f**ked for the finals.