What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers Roster no excuses

OldPanther

Coach
Rookie(-50 games I guess) -1, NRL level 0, Rep +1

Edwards: -1

Mansour: +1

Peachy/Whare: I'll say 0 sonce we don't know who's preferred this year

Blake: +1 (exception as is our best centre, would walk into most teams)

DWZ: +1

Maloney: +100 (seriously +1)

Cleary: 0

Tamou: +1

Wallace: +1 (played rep and was due last year except injury)

RCG: +1

Yeo: 0
Kikau: +1
Merrin: +1

Bench:

Fish: +1
Browne: 0
Katoa: +1
???

Will look through other teams when I finish work and compare/update the thread but a cursory glance says we are out of excuses as far as the roster goes.

franklin2323

Immortal
Rookie(-50 games I guess) -1, NRL level 0, Rep +1

Edwards: -1

Mansour: +1

Peachy/Whare: I'll say 0 sonce we don't know who's preferred this year

Blake: +1 (exception as is our best centre, would walk into most teams)

DWZ: +1

Maloney: +100 (seriously +1)

Cleary: 0

Tamou: +1

Wallace: +1 (played rep and was due last year except injury)

RCG: +1

Yeo: 0
Kikau: +1
Merrin: +1

Bench:

Fish: +1
Browne: 0
Katoa: +1
???

Will look through other teams when I finish work and compare/update the thread but a cursory glance says we are out of excuses as far as the roster goes.

haha. Classing Tonga as a rep... Watch how high the Tigers and warriors get.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I don’t get your scoring.

Yeo gets a 0 and Kikau is a +1???

Cleary is a 0 and Katoa is a +1??

I get what your trying to do, but this system doesn’t accurately represent the players abilities or experience level.

OldPanther

Coach
I don’t get your scoring.

Yeo gets a 0 and Kikau is a +1???

Cleary is a 0 and Katoa is a +1??

I get what your trying to do, but this system doesn’t accurately represent the players abilities or experience level.

Look at the top. Rep +1

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Wallace played Origin about 400 years ago lol

These 'Rep' stars who played world cup for 3rd world countries, come on.....

OldPanther

Coach
Wallace played Origin about 400 years ago lol

These 'Rep' stars who played world cup for 3rd world countries, come on.....

We are made up of a fair few SOO and tier one nations. Wallace would have played last year excluding his injury.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
We are made up of a fair few SOO and tier one nations. Wallace would have played last year excluding his injury.

We have 1 player who played SOO. Maloney. And he hasnt even run out for one NRL game yet.

Last year we had zero Origin players

OldPanther

Coach
We have 1 player who played SOO. Maloney. And he hasnt even run out for one NRL game yet.

Last year we had zero Origin players

Rep last 12 months tier 1 Soo:

Maloney
Mansour
RCG
Whare
DWZ

Tier 2:
Kikau
Katoa

Last 2 years:
Merrin
Fish

Experienced as anyone in the game and played rep:
Wallace(only missed 2017 due to bad luck)
Tamou(rep/marquee signing)

franklin2323

Immortal
Rep last 12 months tier 1 Soo:

Maloney
Mansour
RCG
Whare
DWZ

Tier 2:
Kikau
Katoa

Last 2 years:
Merrin
Fish

Experienced as anyone in the game and played rep:
Wallace(only missed 2017 due to bad luck)
Tamou(rep/marquee signing)

yet no spine players (That has played a game for us).. Says it all really

Pomoz

Bench
I like the effort, a recommend from me. A couple of comments. Kikau has played 9 first grade games. Cleary has not played 50 first grade games. JFH hasn't played 50 first grade games. Katoa ditto.

If your logic held true, a combined team made entirely of Fijian or PNG players that appeared at the world cup would get 17 +1's and would be premiership favourites. Only they wouldn't.

Secondly, the most important part of any team is the spine. First grade experience is everything. Our spine has two players that have played less than 50 games. Bring on Katoa and that makes 3 out of 4 positions. Halfway through the season Cleary will rack up 50 games. He is still only 20 years old though.

There is a reason Bellamy lets SOO and international class forwards come and go and yet keeps Slater, Smith and until recently Cronk (oh and guess what, Cronk can be replaced with SOO mom Munster). It is because the spine is everything.

Over the last five years the NRL premiers have all had a spine player who is exceptional, some have two.

2013 - Maloney, Pearce
2014 - Inglis, Isaac
2015 - JT, Morgan
2016 - Maloney, Ennis
2017 - Cronk, Slater, Smith (FFS!)

The runners up.

2013 - Foran, DCE
2014 - Ennis
2015 - Hunt, Boyd
2016 - Cronk, Slater, Smith
2017 - Morgan

The Panthers 91 spine. Alexander, Simmons, Carter, Barwick. Two Australian players and Dally M player of the year. 2003, Wesser, Campbell, Gower, Priddis. Two Australian players and two Dally M players of the year (Gower would have won a Dally M except the awards were cancelled in 2003).

The trend is irrefutable. You will win nothing without quality spine players. All the +1's in the world in other positions won't matter without that.

OldPanther

Coach
I like the effort, a recommend from me. A couple of comments. Kikau has played 9 first grade games. Cleary has not played 50 first grade games. JFH hasn't played 50 first grade games. Katoa ditto.

If your logic held true, a combined team made entirely of Fijian or PNG players that appeared at the world cup would get 17 +1's and would be premiership favourites. Only they wouldn't.

Secondly, the most important part of any team is the spine. First grade experience is everything. Our spine has two players that have played less than 50 games. Bring on Katoa and that makes 3 out of 4 positions. Halfway through the season Cleary will rack up 50 games. He is still only 20 years old though.

There is a reason Bellamy lets SOO and international class forwards come and go and yet keeps Slater, Smith and until recently Cronk (oh and guess what, Cronk can be replaced with SOO mom Munster). It is because the spine is everything.

Over the last five years the NRL premiers have all had a spine player who is exceptional, some have two.

2013 - Maloney, Pearce
2014 - Inglis, Isaac
2015 - JT, Morgan
2016 - Maloney, Ennis

The runners up.

2013 - Foran, DCE
2014 - Ennis
2015 - Hunt, Boyd
2017 - Morgan

The Panthers 91 spine. Alexander, Simmons, Carter, Barwick. Two Australian players and Dally M player of the year. 2003, Wesser, Campbell, Gower, Priddis. Two Australian players and two Dally M players of the year (Gower would have won a Dally M except the awards were cancelled in 2003).

The trend is irrefutable. You will win nothing without quality spine players. All the +1's in the world in other positions won't matter without that.

Good post. I'm happy to discount the tier 2 nations. Honestly thought Cleary had cleared 50 games.

OldPanther

Coach

2013 - Maloney, Pearce
2014 - Inglis, Isaac
2015 - JT, Morgan
2016 - Maloney, Ennis

The runners up.

2013 - Foran, DCE
2014 - Ennis
2015 - Hunt, Boyd
2017 - Morgan

I think we've all agreed top 4 week 3 finals is a good expectation for 2018. Something I think we can manage.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Look at the top. Rep +1

Yeah get that, but I think your scoring system is floored.

But I do like what your trying to do. Don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t count the 2nd tier countries or city/country as “Rep”.

There is no way Jerome Laui should be worth as much as Maloney.

OldPanther

Coach
Yeah get that, but I think your scoring system is floored.

But I do like what your trying to do. Don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t count the 2nd tier countries or city/country as “Rep”.

There is no way Jerome Laui should be worth as much as Maloney.

It's "do we have a roster that can compete".

For the comp? Maybe not yet.

Top 4? I'd accept 4th.