What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

Fangs

Coach
Hmm....tigers management pretty much did to be fair. ....and balanced

To add.....Gus has massively damaged his media stock. ...Ivan's had a jarring close call and has come out of it with a few scratches that can be buffed out.

Marina Go didn't. She sounded completely clueless on Fox. She needs to stay the hell away from the media. Feel sorry for Tigers fans.

Tigers should be concerned that their coach has actually contemplated leaving with 2 years to run on his contract.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When they sacked Cleary Gus said it was because of burn out and him not coping, Cleary called BS.
Gs sacked Griffin and said it was because of old school relationship problems. Griffin calls BS.
I see a pattern emerging!

unforgiven

Bench
I never said we didn't cause a mess. Whether directly or indirectly the club's actions and the following media circus caused all of this.

I just think we aren't the super evil club everyone seems to think. If Ivan had said we wanted him to break his contract I would've been very angry at the club.
Problem is, that is exactly what they wanted, they just got caught and surprised by the backlash so changed their story. Where is this frontrunner for the job Gould had on Monday before all this blew up?

OldPanther

Coach
Problem is, that is exactly what they wanted, they just got caught and surprised by the backlash so changed their story. Where is this frontrunner for the job Gould had on Monday before all this blew up?

Don't know. If it was Ivan I'd be asking why did it change. Did they ask and he indicated he was keen?

Bennett is another name being thrown around pretty regularly.

unforgiven

Bench

OldPanther

Coach
https://www.9now.com.au/100-footy/2018/clip-cjki79gik000f0gqokvjivydk

Watch from 3 mins 30 secs, it is obvious he has someone lined up for the job for next year and was waiting on his answer. Panthers are a lying grubby club!

Never mind mistakenly thought you were actually looking to discuss it.

What you just said doesn't even make sense as a reply to what I said.

You asked where is this coach who was front runner.

I said "Don't know. If it was Ivan I'd be asking why did it change. Did they ask and he indicated he was keen?" I also mentioned that bennett has been me tioned a lot.

You start ranting about being grubby club.

Makes sense.

unforgiven

Bench
Never mind mistakenly thought you were actually looking to discuss it.

What you just said doesn't even make sense as a reply to what I said.

You asked where is this coach who was front runner.

I said "Don't know. If it was Ivan I'd be asking why did it change. Did they ask and he indicated he was keen?" I also mentioned that bennett has been me tioned a lot.

You start ranting about being grubby club.

Makes sense.
Panthers story went from being we have someone in mind for the job on Monday, By Wednesday it started to move towards yes we spoke to Ivan but we are willing to wait until 2021 and have a caretaker coach until then. The Panthers were trying for Ivan in 2019, thought they had him, sacked their coach and then back off once the backlash started. They have been trying to save their reputation ever since, stop defending their dirty behaviour.

T-Boon

Coach

I hope so. I love the idea that someone has deliberately made Bee Sting look this stupid (besides Bee sting himself)

OldPanther

Coach
Panthers story went from being we have someone in mind for the job on Monday, By Wednesday it started to move towards yes we spoke to Ivan but we are willing to wait until 2021 and have a caretaker coach until then. The Panthers were trying for Ivan in 2019, thought they had him, sacked their coach and then back off once the backlash started. They have been trying to save their reputation ever since, stop defending their dirty behaviour.

That's twice you've missed the question of ok why would that change? Did Ivan promise something?

unforgiven

Bench
That's twice you've missed the question of ok why would that change? Did Ivan promise something?
I'm not defending Ivan, I would guess he was in a conversation about joining Panthers next season and help create all this mess, that all changed because of the Tigers response and the media and community backlash. You continually defend the action of the Panthers in these events, they quite obviously thought they could get Ivan to break his contract with the Tigers, that is a grubby act.

OldPanther

Coach
I'm not defending Ivan, I would guess he was in a conversation about joining Panthers next season and help create all this mess, that all changed because of the Tigers response and the media and community backlash. You continually defend the action of the Panthers in these events, they quite obviously thought they could get Ivan to break his contract with the Tigers, that is a grubby act.

I could just as easily say that Ivan approached us and is now backtracking to save face.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Panthers motives here are clear. Ivan coming in 2021 secures Nathan Cleary now and beyond then. Ivans a good coach, but Nathan is the real reason they approached him about a possible return. He can easily get a clause for release if we dont get Ivan.

A 2 year seat warming position sounds like a shit job. But its perfect for Wayne Bennett. The premiership window isnt closed with him and he wouldn't want anything longterm.

If Tigers sacked Cleary before 2 years is up. Ivan can work with Wayne and get to coach Nathan that way.

That's a hell of a lot of if's in a game that can change dramatically in a short space of time.

unforgiven

Bench
I could just as easily say that Ivan approached us and is now backtracking to save face.
Except the Panthers have admitted to raising the discussion about him coaching the club again, you really are a gymnast trying to avoid seeing your club in the poor light that the majority of the NRL community now see it in.