What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers sack Griffin 4 weeks from finals

JokerEel

First Grade
Panthers win - great move by Gus.
Panthera lose - Gus is shit sack him.

Panthera have the team to win the comp in a year should have waited till the offseasons to sack Griffin. With or with out him this season they wont win it.

Pedge1971

First Grade
They are seperate companies with different boards producing different financial annual reports. Reality is if nrl pulled the panthers nrl license the leagues club would still operate, if the leagues club went under the nrl panthers would be screwed.

So?

TheFrog

Coach
If the ship hadn't sunk before tonight's game, it has now. Panthers were terrible tonight.
The last time we weren't terrible over 80 minutes was the last time playing this mob, and over 40 minutes against the Raiders last game before Hook was sacked. Lucky to get away with the Titans and then last week and again tonight have been diabolical. Maybe slightly better tonight than last week but not much.

roofromoz

First Grade
For me personally, there was an afterglow after Hook's sacking that there was an opportunity for a fresh start, albeit late in the season. I thought that things could get better (just slightly) because of Ciraldo's record in the lower grades and working closely with a number of current NRL squad players in the Under 20s.

But things have gone backwards. I genuinely fear that the likely scenario will be Melbourne pumping us next week and being an easy kill in week 1 of the finals.

One thing appears certain - Ciraldo won't be offered the position for 2019.

Timing aside, I don't think we would have been any better if Griffin was still coach, given we were rubbish before his sacking.

In the wash up when this season is done and dusted, I think Gus will admit that "lessons were learnt" but not actually admit fault.

He's done a lot for the club since 2011 and as a Penrith fan I will be forever grateful. But it's time to go now Gus.

LineBall

Juniors
For me personally, there was an afterglow after Hook's sacking that there was an opportunity for a fresh start, albeit late in the season. I thought that things could get better (just slightly) because of Ciraldo's record in the lower grades and working closely with a number of current NRL squad players in the Under 20s.

But things have gone backwards. I genuinely fear that the likely scenario will be Melbourne pumping us next week and being an easy kill in week 1 of the finals.

One thing appears certain - Ciraldo won't be offered the position for 2019.

Timing aside, I don't think we would have been any better if Griffin was still coach, given we were rubbish before his sacking.

In the wash up when this season is done and dusted, I think Gus will admit that "lessons were learnt" but not actually admit fault.

He's done a lot for the club since 2011 and as a Penrith fan I will be forever grateful. But it's time to go now Gus.

I think they have continued on the downward spiral that started when Griffin was there and continued with Ciraldo. I also think other teams have worked them out.

mxlegend99

Referee
The spiral started 3 months ago.

Somewhere between beating Dragons, having our first bye and Origin duties the season turned to shit.

We have had one good win in that time and it was with 10 players missing. We had hoped Griffin was the only issue. But it looks like we barely scratched the surface of issues in sacking him.

I wonder if Jimmy is finally concerned for the season yet.

TheFrog

Coach
We played well in the second half against Canberra after they'd only got away late in the first. 28 to 5 it was. That was Griffin's last game. The injured players were coming back, things were looking up. This I think was the team's best performance since the previous Warriors game.

But it looks like we barely scratched the surface of issues in sacking him.

Hard to argue.

I wonder if Jimmy is finally concerned for the season yet.
Help us Jimmy Maloney, you are our only hope. Not until week 1 though.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
The last time we weren't terrible over 80 minutes was the last time playing this mob, and over 40 minutes against the Raiders last game before Hook was sacked. Lucky to get away with the Titans and then last week and again tonight have been diabolical. Maybe slightly better tonight than last week but not much.
The Warriors game is the only game in 3 months we didnt suck.

Our lowest point was the first half against Broncos. 32 nil in 32 minutes. Our one and only game all season where we knew a comeback was impossible at halftime

The only thing that changes each week is the quality of the opposition. A bit of freakish footy for 10 minutes doesnt tend to win games against competent teams.

No coincidence the 2 thrashings we have had lately were against top 8 teams. The comebacks were against bottom 8 teams. Except round 2 vs Souths

wibble

Bench
Dragons turned around a horrible run last week, missing Widdop, so it is not impossible for the Panthers.

But it looks tough from here for them to seriously threaten.

It is hard to tell how much Griffin's sacking would have hurt, but you get the impression it hasn't helped.

super_coach

First Grade
Penrith have had the wobbles for half the season. Great at playing razzle dazzle stuff, not so good at the grind.

Of course the mouth of the mountains sacking the coach has not helped

kbw

Bench
I feel for Penrith fans.
Gould is the problem not Griffin. But he would never admit it as he is the "saviour" of the game

Life's Good

Coach
For all the talk, from Gould, about Griffin being old school & out of touch there can’t be many Penrith fans thinking it was a good move to punt him so late in the season. I don’t know if getting Maloney back can make that much of a difference either.
Even with the background turmoil with Griffin, the Panthers still found a way. At the moment they’ve lost their way.

TheFrog

Coach
I don’t know if getting Maloney back can make that much of a difference either.
He hasn't really been healthy since Origin 2. He's the bloke who can effortlessly put Kikau, Blake and co into gaps. A lot would have to go right, and I'd tend to keep him on ice next week but in a sudden death final minus the niggles he could easily be the difference.

Latest posts