What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Holden Cup & Junior Reps Thread Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forty20

First Grade
Just caught the replay of yesterday's final. Both teams were guilty of some silly handling errors and cheap penalties for lazy high shots but I thought it was a decent game for the most part.

Obviously our defence was far from water tight given that we leaked 26 points but there were some crucial times when the Broncos had extended runs of possession that we aimed up and held them out. We were punished several times when they turned the ball back inside and caught out some slacking defenders so that will be an area that we need to address.

Kelepi Tanginoa was excellent up the middle and then superb when he shifted to the right edge later in the game. He ran good lines at speed but some credit must go to Zach Dockar-Clay who used him well (and played quite well on the whole) and gave him quality ball. I don't mind the Cowboys and I would love to see Kelepi kick on so hopefully things work out for him up North.

He wasn't as flashy as Tanginoa but I thought that Tui Kamikamica was very strong up the middle. Got through a mountain of work on both sides of the ball and was particularly busy in defence, cleaning up the missed tackles of his team mates up the middle. With the return of Tepai Tepu-Smith we now have a truly formidable front row rotation as well as the luxury of sending Tanginoa to the edges later in the game.

Both our halves were strong, which is to be expected of Ryan Matterson at this point but pleasingly Zach Dockar-Clay played a game that involved equal parts attacking genius and decisive shot-calling. There were some handling errors marked against both their names that came from some sloppy dummy half work but along with Nathan Davis, who chimed in regularly at first receiver, they controlled the team well.

Beyond the players above there were some solid cameos from Jordan Muna, who got away some amazing offloads and Tyrell Fuimaono, who had one stupid offload on his goal line but was a handful with the ball in hand. Fuimaono is one of our most hyped prospects coming through and has noticeably grown in his first season in the NYC. Halauafu Lavaka also notched up his 26th try of the year and did plenty of grunt work coming out of our half in the absence of Leva Li.

The Colonel

Immortal
Was impressed with Clay. He has copped plenty of criticism this season at times but I can see why both the Kiwis and Australia chased him. Still has twelve months in NYC? Be interesting to see his improvement next year.

Forty20

First Grade
Was impressed with Clay. He has copped plenty of criticism this season at times but I can see why both the Kiwis and Australia chased him. Still has twelve months in NYC? Be interesting to see his improvement next year.

I think Dockar-Clay's biggest problem at this point is that he is prone to panicking during the execution of a play. I've seen him rush through a simple ball movement a few times and make a shocking mistake. The difference in his game when he has built some composure is like night and day and if you were to compare yesterday's game with say the second game against the Sharks (where he rushed through everything) you wouldn't think it was the same player.

He does indeed have another year left in the NYC but earlier this season Justin Holbrook implied that he would be playing in the NSW Cup next year. I have little doubt that he and Matterson will both feature in either the Auckland 9s and/or the trials early next year so it will be great to see where they stand before the season kicks off proper.

Delboy

First Grade
Tui stood ut, for a player with no league experience and Moved to the front row, his involvement was excellent. He has the height and with a few extra kilos , he could develop well as he appears tough and willing to get his hands dirty

Falou had a good game, wonder if the poster that suggested he was being targeted by the Scum down South was correct, I think we did hear that he had signed for next year with the Eels

Forty20

First Grade
Stagger has previously mentioned that Kamikamica, Folau and Lavaka will be staying on next year.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Horrible handling from the Junior Eels in the match, but what came from those poor mistakes was the fact that we defended quite well. If we hold onto the ball I've got no doubt that we can go all the way as we've got some fine attacking players and are quite good defensively now.

Chipmunk

Coach
Has anyone who has seen alot of the Under 20s over the years got an opinion on other halves in the
Under 20s and their comparison with Matterson and Docker-Clay at the same age?

I guess Im asking what were DCE, Adam Reynolds, Josh Reynolds, Luke Keary, Ben Hunt, etc all like in the Under 20s compared to Matterson and Docker-Clay?

Big Pete

Referee
It was a really strange game.

Both teams threatened to blow the game wide open but would come up with an error, heads would drop and sure enough the other team would post points.

Plenty to like about the Eels moving forward. Yes, the best player on the park last evening was Tanginoa but you can't keep all those forwards and I'm sure if Pauli or Moeroa were playing they would have outplayed him. He was the difference in the end, no doubt, but he still came up with some really ordinary blues and I reckon you guys made the right choice.

The prelim will be interesting to watch. I got the feeling watching this that I was watching a bunch of talented players shoot themselves in the foot but were still too good in the end for their counter-parts. The prelim will be a better indicator for you guys and hopefully you won't have to wait for a delayed replay.

Forty20

First Grade
It was a really strange game.

Both teams threatened to blow the game wide open but would come up with an error, heads would drop and sure enough the other team would post points.

Plenty to like about the Eels moving forward. Yes, the best player on the park last evening was Tanginoa but you can't keep all those forwards and I'm sure if Pauli or Moeroa were playing they would have outplayed him. He was the difference in the end, no doubt, but he still came up with some really ordinary blues and I reckon you guys made the right choice.

The prelim will be interesting to watch. I got the feeling watching this that I was watching a bunch of talented players shoot themselves in the foot but were still too good in the end for their counter-parts. The prelim will be a better indicator for you guys and hopefully you won't have to wait for a delayed replay.

I know it is the 20s and anything can happen but I would be very surprised if the Tigpies were able to get up over your mob.

Big Pete

Referee
I know it is the 20s and anything can happen but I would be very surprised if the Tigpies were able to get up over your mob.

I don't want to spend too long shifting the point of focus away from the Eels but it's a pretty even competition and with Moses, Lodge & Cherrington on board I'm not overly confident.

We'll need Drew & Nikorima on board if we're a chance. Brisbane missed Jordan big time in the second half.

Captain BF

Juniors
I saw Nathan Davis today at Parra Leagues Club. He looked like he had just played. Did he play with the 20's yesterday or Wenty today? He had both legs strapped and looked like it was painful to walk. Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts