What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

T-Boon

Coach
Unless you're suggesting a draft be introduced but let's not start on that.

The NRL clubs have produced crap footballers for way too long.
QLD, where there is less NRL club influence has produced the vast majority of the talent (especially halves) over the last 20 years.
If you cut clubs out of development you would get better quality coaches as well.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
The NRL clubs have produced crap footballers for way too long.
QLD, where there is less NRL club influence has produced the vast majority of the talent (especially halves) over the last 20 years.
If you cut clubs out of development you would get better quality coaches as well.

Do you have proof of "they produce more juniors" or are you basing it purely off origin results of the past 10 years? QLD clubs still have juniors they just come under different banners, the reason the Broncos produce so many quality juniors is because they have 3 or 4 teams in the Mal Meninga (18's). North Queensland now have at least 2 in the Pride and the Blackhawks. Titans have 1 that I know of in the Burleigh Bears and the Storm have the Victorian Thunderbolts. Pretty sure these clubs have their NRL team's logo on their jerseys too. So the systems, coaches, training programs etc would all be put into place by their leading club.

ALX25

Bench
Wouldn't cutting the HM/SG Ball/TG Cup seasons short have the opposite effect with other sports being chosen instead???

T-Boon

Coach
I know what I am saying is unpopular. The game would be stronger if the clubs had to wait until players are 18/19 before they can have anything to do with them.
Qld shows that the less the NRL clubs have to do with a player the better.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I know what I am saying is unpopular. The game would be stronger if the clubs had to wait until players are 18/19 before they can have anything to do with them.
Qld shows that the less the NRL clubs have to do with a player the better.

Why would the game be stronger?

T-Boon

Coach
Why would the game be stronger?

I think styles of football would develop at the independent lower level that are non NRL club styles of football. The reason is they would be putting work into kids that are going to help them win as much as kids that are big enough, fast enough to play NRL first grade.
The lower levels would have a lot of strong clubs rather than just the few teams that are playing SG ball. The independent club premierships and high school football would become more important. Winning those local competitions and playing well in those comps is how you would get recognised by the state selectors etc rather than playing well in SG ball.
The main thing is I think independent coaches would develop. That is coaches that aren't already in the NRL club system thus essentially a parrot for the NRL head coaches methods, philosophies etc. That would increase the coaching depth and it would increase the ideas in the game.

Last edited:

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I think styles of football would develop at the independent lower level than are non NRL club styles of football. The reason is they would be putting work into kids that are going to help them win as much as kids that are big enough, fast enough to play NRL first grade.
The lower levels would have a lot of strong clubs rather than just the few teams that are playing SG ball. The independent club premierships and high school football would become more important. Winning those local competitions and playing well in those comps is how you would get recognised by the state selectors etc rather than playing well in SG ball.
The main thing is I think independent coaches would develop. That is coaches that aren't already in the NRL club system thus essentially a parrot for the NRL head coaches methods, philosophies etc. That would increase the coaching depth and it would increase the ideas in the game.

SG Ball runs for 9 regular season games then 4 finals games. After this the players involved then return to their clubs to participate in their regular season. SG Ball and Harold Matts is for those players who are deemed the best from those respective competitions thus "junior reps". Other clubs i.e Guildford Owls, Wenty Magpies etc still train and develop the players that aren't in those elite programs. So what you want to happen is happening.

T-Boon

Coach
SG Ball runs for 9 regular season games then 4 finals games.

They should make it 3 regular season games (4 pools of 4 teams) a semi final and a final then a national final.
One issue is these kids are playing too many games in too many different competitions.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
They should make it 3 regular season games (4 pools of 4 teams) a semi final and a final then a national final.
One issue is these kids are playing too many games in too many different competitions.

But then they wouldn't be playing other elite players as much as they are in the current set-up, which would diminish skills over time. They'd go back to their junior club and be playing against and with kids who are never going to make first grade.

I can't say whether or not a kid is playing too many games in different competitions. You'd have to ask the players in the junior reps if they believe they're playing too much.

T-Boon

Coach
But then they wouldn't be playing other elite players as much as they are in the current set-up, which would diminish skills over time. They'd go back to their junior club and be playing against and with kids who are never going to make first grade.

I can't say whether or not a kid is playing too many games in different competitions. You'd have to ask the players in the junior reps if they believe they're playing too much.

Players from the country and from Queensland are developing more skills than Sydney based kids. They always have. It is better when they stay home in the bush longer. The same would apply in Sydney.

I think overall the thing that would suffer (and this is a positive) is that wrestling, structure and gym work would decrease for these kids.

Last edited:
Players from the country and from Queensland are developing more skills than Sydney based kids. They always have. It is better when they stay home in the bush longer. The same would apply in Sydney.

I think overall the thing that would suffer (and this is a positive) is that wrestling, structure and gym work would decrease for these kids.

Parra are aware of this and have kids signed and keep them at home only getting them together for development games a few times during the year. Dion French and Ulysses Roberts are 2 names that spring to mind

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
SG Ball runs for 9 regular season games then 4 finals games. After this the players involved then return to their clubs to participate in their regular season. SG Ball and Harold Matts is for those players who are deemed the best from those respective competitions thus "junior reps". Other clubs i.e Guildford Owls, Wenty Magpies etc still train and develop the players that aren't in those elite programs. So what you want to happen is happening.

And a lot of players just return to their junior clubs with a lot less resources then wenty, they just return to clubs with volunteer coaches training 2 nights a week with no real development opportunities at that club.

The standout players need early contact with NRL to help with their development.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Can you back up your claim that kids from QLD / country have move skills?

Are you actually involved in junior football ?

Not sure what your answer is, but I am not sure a standout player at 15 having no contact with an NRL club until they are 18-19 is really that good for their development. Yes junior clubs put great effort into football and their are plenty of great volunteer junior coaches out there but most have limited resources and ability to greatly develop players.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Yep playing against average kids aren’t going to help with their development.

From what I have seen I don’t think the kids would be playing to much footy, if they play junior reps (sg ball / matt’s) they can’t play club footy. And what other footy is there? The commonwealth bank cup or what ever it is now ? That’s really just a couple of games.

While it’s up to the individual players if they want to play / try out for the school rep carnivals (15’s and opens).

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

What competitions are these?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think styles of football would develop at the independent lower level that are non NRL club styles of football. The reason is they would be putting work into kids that are going to help them win as much as kids that are big enough, fast enough to play NRL first grade.

Not sure you realise how junior footy clubs operate.