What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Why wouldn't the NRL pay? No juniors, no NRL.

It's in the NRL interest. Also most kids under 18 get paid f**k all.

Love the banter guys, BUT "Opinions are like arseholes & everybody has one" In saying that, everyone is entitled to there own opinion .

This is a junior thred & some of us take an interest in the development of the kids. I also think a lot of people throw acusations and information out there for people to read without knowing true facts.

No disrespect Joshuatheeel - but I know kids who get paid a lot more than you think not only at Parramatta , but Manly & Penrith as well & these kids are only 15yo -16yo - 17yo.
Its not huge amounts of cash maybe $2,500 - $3,500 - $5,000 each year for 3 years, but clubs also pay medical insurance $2,500 a year. Incentives on top with making, Nsw Chs or Aus Schoolboys of $1,ooo each team plus Nsw Origin $1,000. Plus on top Living away from home allowance $8,900 a year, & academic tericary education up to $11,000. one off payment

So I know they get paid F..k all but if you add up the all the above its a lot more than you think. Over 3 years this could be in the range of $30,000 - $50,000 not including the time & energy clubs put in coaching wise & the resources the clubs offer is something you cant put a price on. & that's on top of al the above

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Love the banter guys, BUT "Opinions are like arseholes & everybody has one" In saying that, everyone is entitled to there own opinion .

This is a junior thred & some of us take an interest in the development of the kids. I also think a lot of people throw acusations and information out there for people to read without knowing true facts.

No disrespect Joshuatheeel - but I know kids who get paid a lot more than you think not only at Parramatta , but Manly & Penrith as well & these kids are only 15yo -16yo - 17yo.
Its not huge amounts of cash maybe $2,500 - $3,500 - $5,000 each year for 3 years, but clubs also pay medical insurance $2,500 a year. Incentives on top with making, Nsw Chs or Aus Schoolboys of $1,ooo each team plus Nsw Origin $1,000. Plus on top Living away from home allowance $8,900 a year, & academic tericary education up to $11,000. one off payment

So I know they get paid F..k all but if you add up the all the above its a lot more than you think. Over 3 years this could be in the range of $30,000 - $50,000 not including the time & energy clubs put in coaching wise & the resources the clubs offer is something you cant put a price on. & that's on top of al the above

All good, and I didn't think kids don't get paid. But it's only really the really top ones that do at that age. I know of kids playing junior reps for an NRL club and getting hardly any support to attend a national carnival for making a state based rep side. But every NRL club has different ways of doing things.

But anyhow those examples you mentioned is really to prevent that kid from playing with another club. Imagine if instead of paying those players those amounts were put into junior development as a whole not just individual players. The players would still get the coaching etc, just not payments to be loyal to a particular club.

Parra47

Juniors
u like to change the truth don't u my little friend. he said eels need to focus more on bringing through genuine rugby league smart players, footballers, not just big athletes who run hard in the juniors but don't grow as players when they get to first grade. u ripped into him for that. now the clubs going after the sort of players he said they should and u want to jump on the band wagon and say u agreed all along. u are stupider than ever. love it when u show just how dumb u are.

oh yeah and I run my own business, shop is called..... nah not telling u that pau
What my thread was about was how a Parramatta junior talent scout and coach said he'd pick a big athletic kid over a kid with footy skills any day. I said I felt that approach was wrong and was being reflected in the NRL teams / squad we were putting on the field. I said we should be looking at kids with genuine rugby league smarts and skills rather than just kids who were big and could run over the top of other kids.
I was bagged for the thread by a couple on here and one dope in particular. Guess what, Parra junior recruitment now follows what I thought it should be and not what it was and what a few posters on here insisted was the way to go.
And no you are not on my ignore list. The four drop kicks who I now have on ignore, not seeing their bagging and endless arguing, makes coming onto this forum when I have time much more enjoyable. You should try it.

Bazal

Post Whore
Parra47 reminds me of a paranoid dictator tbh....dissenting opinions will not be tolerated, no matter how minor.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
bahahahaha the system that has been in place for the past 110 years seems to be working pretty good where clubs look after the juniors.
No it doesn't because now the best children all have managers and contracts and social media and a higher risk of suicide and other shit.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
u like to change the truth don't u my little friend. he said eels need to focus more on bringing through genuine rugby league smart players, footballers, not just big athletes who run hard in the juniors but don't grow as players when they get to first grade. u ripped into him for that. now the clubs going after the sort of players he said they should and u want to jump on the band wagon and say u agreed all along. u are stupider than ever. love it when u show just how dumb u are.
The club is still going after athletes because the one thing you can't teach is good genes. Nothing has f**king changed since 2011 - there has been a continuity of recruitment staff rather than a complete overhaul, and Arthur has focused on signing experienced players anyway to provide leadership for the youngsters that have come through our system. These guys all played in our NYC team and signed their first adult contract after 2011:

French
Folau
Radradra
Pritchard
Moeroa
Alvaro
Tanginoa
Fuimaono
Twal

Plus everyone currently in the NYC squad and half the SG Ball kids (the other half are yet to sign an adult contract). These guys weren't picked for their footy skills, they were picked because they had the physicality and attitude for the NRL. All of them were either fast or big or both. The mental and technical skills come later through coaching.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Guess what, Parra junior recruitment now follows what I thought it should be
No they don't. They are still picking kids on physicality rather than skill. The difference is they are looking at players with better potential to fit the proposed changes to the interchange rule. So endurance over power.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
And yet, both leagues are extremely successful, without the top level clubs being significantly involved in development....

There's also the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga and every other club in every football league across the world that is involved in junior development, they don't leave it up to their league to do it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There's also the EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga and every other club in every football league across the world that is involved in junior development, they don't leave it up to their league to do it.
That's because poaching children benefits the clubs, and their leagues don't have any power over them to change it.

For sure. My point is that it is perfectly possible to have a working system in which clubs are not significantly involved . i was replying to a post that simply assumed that the current situation is the natural state of things.

The leagues you list are also salary cap free zones.

The big challenge for a centralised system is getting incentives right.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
The NFL doesn't develop players. Their colleges do. Not sure about AFL.

I think its really the High Schools that are the engine room for the NFL. The colleges just add polish.
The NFL franchises would like to draft straight from high school but the NCAA want their billions out of the whole thing.

Fanbase

Juniors
The club is still going after athletes because the one thing you can't teach is good genes. Nothing has f**king changed since 2011 - there has been a continuity of recruitment staff rather than a complete overhaul, and Arthur has focused on signing experienced players anyway to provide leadership for the youngsters that have come through our system. These guys all played in our NYC team and signed their first adult contract after 2011:

French
Folau
Radradra
Pritchard
Moeroa
Alvaro
Tanginoa
Fuimaono
Twal

Plus everyone currently in the NYC squad and half the SG Ball kids (the other half are yet to sign an adult contract). These guys weren't picked for their footy skills, they were picked because they had the physicality and attitude for the NRL. All of them were either fast or big or both. The mental and technical skills come later through coaching.
bahahahahaha love ur small sample selection. u'll never admit ur wrong will u little fella. keep reading ur stats and watching old videos.

Latest posts