What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

84 Baby

Referee
I'm referring to the pointless multiple Harold Matthews Premierships the Club has won.
Yeah I think Pou missed your point. It'd one of the greatest and near impossible feats to take a team comprised entirely or even mostly juniors all the way to nrl grand final. At least from what I've read on here, all from RLW247 of course, we're at least focusing on skills over size

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We're definitely not getting a return on our investment into junior development the way other clubs are, particularly those clubs with little to no junior bases.
Then it's a poor investment. I'm in favour of scrapping the model. Junior rep players outside NSW don't wear Broncos/Cowboys/Titans/Storm/Warriors uniforms until they make NYC. Even when they are contracted to those clubs. It certainly removes unwarranted fan expectation that their club owns those children in perpetuity.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah I think Pou missed your point.
No I got his point and made a point of my own. Why should the number of 'local juniors' mean anything? It's not the NRL clubs' fault that their local area has more or less rugby league playing children than others, so why should the benefits accrue unequally? I prefer to look at young players (though still 18+ years of age) brought into the senior system who then go on to make their NRL debuts with the club.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Yeah I think Pou missed your point. It'd one of the greatest and near impossible feats to take a team comprised entirely or even mostly juniors all the way to nrl grand final. At least from what I've read on here, all from RLW247 of course, we're at least focusing on skills over size

I'd like to know what RLW24/7 (I really like this version of the nickname) what I meant by we've changed our thinking in regards to picking players for juniors focusing on skills rather than size? I wonder if he ever thought that a first grade skill would be how hard they train rather than only focusing on what the players do on the field?

I guess I'll never know because he can't hack someone with a differing opinion to him. Rather stick to his magazines where they don't talk back.

strider

Post Whore
Seriously what current nrl team does have a good number of local juniors? Penrith. Maybe Newcastle but they are shit. Warriors are a basket case. Brisbane? Does the whole of queensland equate to "local"

84 Baby

Referee
No I got his point and made a point of my own. Why should the number of 'local juniors' mean anything? It's not the NRL clubs' fault that their local area has more or less rugby league playing children than others, so why should the benefits accrue unequally? I prefer to look at young players (though still 18+ years of age) brought into the senior system who then go on to make their NRL debuts with the club.
Local juniors don't mean anything when it comes to NRL level was also my point. Far gone are the days when winning a premiership meant your geographical area was the best. The system isn't antiquated, just the perception

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think the perception is based on the antiquated system. Once upon a time first grade teams could only have a limited number of players from outside the district.

I'm a firm believer in junior recruitment for NRL success, but that doesn't mean having the best under 16s team. It means poaching the best players at the approximately 18 year old age group.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think the perception is based on the antiquated system. Once upon a time first grade teams could only have a limited number of players from outside the district.

I'm a firm believer in junior recruitment for NRL success, but that doesn't mean having the best under 16s team. It means poaching the best players at the approximately 18 year old age group.

That recruitment strategy has certainly worked for the Storm, Roosters and Manly over the years.

That recruitment strategy has certainly worked for the Storm, Roosters and Manly over the years.

Yep, the smart guys sit back and have an objective look at 100s of potential candidates, after they've played a bit of footy...then go hard for the ones they want....and they don't have the 'my uncle coached his netball team' biases to worry about.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Pou will be over the moon, the Sharks' NYC players' player and Player of the year both have the first name Jayden (McDonogh and Brailey respectively). It may have been tough to pick a non-Jayden or Brayden though.