What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Delboy

First Grade
In Matts , Christian Wihongi, is just over 6 feet and 104 kg at 16, both St George props were bigger. Not as mobile but certainly bigger, if any gets out to these games they would be genuinely surprised at the size of these U16s.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
In Matts , Christian Wihongi, is just over 6 feet and 104 kg at 16, both St George props were bigger. Not as mobile but certainly bigger, if any gets out to these games they would be genuinely surprised at the size of these U16s.

Problem is they never make it to NRL, they only play juniors because of their size.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Problem is they never make it to NRL, they only play juniors because of their size.

There's plenty of big kids that make first grade. They don't just all of a sudden get huge at 20 years old, they're huge for most of their careers.

You just have to foster a culture that allows them to prosper in first grade and make sure they've got the right attitude.

Delboy

First Grade
The club has obviously taken a position on forwards, when all are fit it looks like probably 5 of the 6 forwards picked will not be the pro typical age/size profile you are talking about. The one I mentioned is extremely mobile and coachable, and has a skill set which defines him a little from just a power ball runner

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
The club has obviously taken a position on forwards, when all are fit it looks like probably 5 of the 6 forwards picked will not be the pro typical age/size profile you are talking about. The one I mentioned is extremely mobile and coachable, and has a skill set which defines him a little from just a power ball runner

We certainly have various body shapes and sizes across both grades. Will be interesting to see who makes it to first grade in the coming years. I am very excited about our future forward stocks in the coming years. Anthony Field has put a lot of hard work since coming to the club.

Does it take a genius to work out that maybe the club might be better off investing in a range of players (i.e. blokes like the chap you refer to AND a few well scouted units)? We seem to flip-flop from one extreme to the other.....or maybe that's just the impression that an outsider gets.

Family Guy

Juniors
David Hollis is 6 foot 5 - not sure of weight

Gazzamatta

Coach
We certainly have various body shapes and sizes across both grades. Will be interesting to see who makes it to first grade in the coming years. I am very excited about our future forward stocks in the coming years. Anthony Field has put a lot of hard work since coming to the club.
Those of us not in the know thought our world would explode when Nolan moved on. Now it appears Field was the man. Where did Field come from OA. Is he a Parra developed product? Ive not heard any negativity whatsoever with regard to this guy. Obviously he has a strong supporter in BA.

Delboy

First Grade
Nolan hired Field, he was a scout for the Broncos system based in Northern NSW. He is from Nambucca Heads and has a good knowledge of juniors in those districts as well as Qld.

Has strict standards on behaviour and was the person who met with the Frenchs and scouted and signed Bevan. Good strong person with a police service and business ownership background,

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Those of us not in the know thought our world would explode when Nolan moved on. Now it appears Field was the man. Where did Field come from OA. Is he a Parra developed product? Ive not heard any negativity whatsoever with regard to this guy. Obviously he has a strong supporter in BA.

Nolan brought him down from the broncos. He took on the task of looking after the Parramatta district 4 years ago (he started with the 13 year olds) that group now features: Afualo, Utoikamanu, Kaufusi, Fonua, Dunster, N Aukafolau, Parry who are all still eligible to play SG ball but are all playing NYC this year. He has made our local juniors stronger and also continues to bring in some of the best external recruits.

I think in a decade's time or so that we'll see many players at other clubs that spent time in our junior system but that isn't a bad thing as we'll have the better ones.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Nolan brought him down from the broncos. He took on the task of looking after the Parramatta district 4 years ago (he started with the 13 year olds) that group now features: Afualo, Utoikamanu, Kaufusi, Fonua, Dunster, N Aukafolau, Parry who are all still eligible to play SG ball but are all playing NYC this year. He has made our local juniors stronger and also continues to bring in some of the best external recruits.

I think in a decade's time or so that we'll see many players at other clubs that spent time in our junior system but that isn't a bad thing as we'll have the better ones.
Thanks DB and OA.
Sounds like we are on a winner with Field. Are these guys contracted for any specific period? Would hate to loose this bloke.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Thanks DB and OA.
Sounds like we are on a winner with Field. Are these guys contracted for any specific period? Would hate to loose this bloke.

Unsure how long/if he has a contract but I just can't see him leaving Parra any time soon. It's his set up across the board, the head coach listens to him, he has it quite easy now that things are running his way and he'd have massive support from everyone at the club (assuming). You only have to look at Ulysses Roberts (GI's younger cousin), GI wanted him in the best system possible and Parramatta was offered. Just hope that we continue turning out quality players and people like we did with Bevan, he's only the very beginning of this renaissance.

Delboy

First Grade
The Dogs approached Fieldsy when they punted Crusher, fortunately the Manager , Football had been removed and the air was clear for people within the Eels system

Think he will be around for at least 3/4 years, he wants to ensure the current crop of recruits are given the best possible pathway into NRL. He continues to recruit and additions to reps even now are likely. Understand he won't sign anyone until he sits down with the player and the parents for a day or two to see if they suit our pathway and standards. Very thorough in things that need to be done.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Dogs approached Fildsy when they punted Crusher, fortunately the Manager , Football had been removed and the air was clear for people within the Eels system

Think he will be around for at least 3/4 years, he wants to ensure the current crop of recruits are given the best possible pathway into NRL. He continues to recruit and additions to reps even now are likely. Understand he won't sign anyone until he sits down with the player and the parents for a day or two to see if they suit our pathway and standards. Very thorough in things that need to be done.
Sounds like Field has more than covered the loss of Nolan, thank goodness the former football manager was gone by then before he could make another disastrous decision.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Again thanks OA and DB. I love these insights into our great clubs future. My intention would never be to start debate but in my mind the turn around of our club appears to coincide with BAs appointment. Thanks heavens for this decision. Cheers guys. Love your work.