What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Gronk

Staff member
Taranaki teen Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens signs with the Parramatta Eels
CHRISTOPHER REIVE

For young league players, the dream is to sign on the dotted line with an NRL franchise.

Taranaki's Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens has done just that, signing on with the Parramatta Eels.

The 15-year-old Francis Douglas Memorial College student has taken up an academy offer that would see him travel to Australia for camps twice this year, before spending six months of 2018 across the ditch for the under-18s competition.

1489977782568.jpg

"It's pretty overwhelming. At the start it definitely was because I've liked the Eels since Jarryd Hayne was playing for them [Hayne left the club in 2014]. It's just surreal," Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens said.

The opportunity came about through scouting at a number of national tournaments and it wasn't only the Eels who were interested in Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens, with the Newcastle Knights also showing an interest.

"We had a few trainings, just to see the squad, and then a game over there and I think it just went of that really.

"It's an opportunity I couldn't really not take. I'll be experiencing everything and be getting my skills up for both rugby and league."

Now that he had signed, he said the club had been in constant contact and would be at least once a month for the rest of the year to check in on how he was doing.

It's already been a big year in terms of rugby league for the young fullback, who represented Fiji at the Pasifika Youth Cup in Auckland in February and recently was part of an under-16 Warriors invitational team to play against Auckland.

His brother, Isaac, was also selected to play for the under-18 invitational tea - with the teams selected by former Warriors first-grade assistant coach Tony Iro - and said the experience was something he would bring back and apply to their games with the College team.

1489977782568.jpg

ANDY JACKSON/Fairfax NZ

Isaac and Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens have been playing rugby league for Warriors invitational age group teams.

"They encouraged us to go back into our schools and our clubs and be leaders - to bring what we learnt up there into our teams. Things like the skills and the mindset before a game."

Isaac, a 17-year-old half, said he had been approached by an NRL club as well, but talks were in the preliminary stages.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...avukikneepkens-signs-with-the-parramatta-eels

ALX25

Bench
Taranaki's Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens has done just that, signing on with the Parramatta Eels.

It's already been a big year in terms of rugby league for the young fullback, who represented Fiji at the Pasifika Youth Cup in Auckland in February and recently was part of an under-16 Warriors invitational team to play against Auckland.

Named on the wing in the Pasifa Youth Cup Tournament Team.
1. BRIAN LEALIFANO (Samoa)
2. JACOB RATUMAVUKI-KNEEPKINS (Fiji)
3. JAMIE ROBERTSON (NZ Maori)
4. SEMISI SIKEI (Tonga)
5. RAYNA WHAKAARI (NZ Maori)
6. SIMI SASAGI (Samoa)
7. SIONE MOALA (Tonga)
8. KEAN RATAVUMAIVUKI-AILUPO (Fiji)
9. KAYA CUTHERS (NZ Maori)
10.STEPHARN DENE HOLO (Niue)
11.TUKI SIMPKINS (NZ Maori)
12.AAMON DEAN (Samoa)
13.SEMISI TAPA (Tonga)
14.BONOWAI BALEDROKA (Fiji)
15. VAIOLINI EKUASI (Tonga)
16. NOOROA TORU (Cook Islands)
17. ETERU ROPETI (Samoa)

Delboy

First Grade
Great win for Matts today, only 3 players on the bench due to injuries

Missing 3 first choice forwards, Hughes, Wihongi and Hall, half back Biondi-Odo and full back Byrd plus 3 reserves unavailable and a couple of forwards playing busted. , they came away with a win over the undefeated Sharks on their ground

The boys felt like they had done the impossible at the end of the game, it meant a lot to win with those odds against them. If you get the chance to see them in action at any time, it's well worth it

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Great win for Matts today, only 3 players on the bench due to injuries

Missing 3 first choice forwards, Hughes, Wihongi and Hall, half back Biondi-Odo and full back Byrd plus 3 reserves unavailable and a couple of forwards playing busted. , they came away with a win over the undefeated Sharks on their ground

The boys felt like they had done the impossible at the end of the game, it meant a lot to win with those odds against them. If you get the chance to see them in action at any time, it's well worth it

I didn't see the game but I was told that Tallis Smith didn't even go on so we actually only used 2 off the bench players.

Huge effort from the boys and they'll have another big task ahead of them against the CC Roosters who are in the top 6.

Gronk

Staff member
Sprinter Jordan Shelley has no regrets chasing Olympic dream over NRL career

Teenage sprinter Jordan Shelley has no regrets after leaving the Parramatta Eels academy in pursuit of an Olympic dream and on Monday night showed why.

The 19-year-old Canberra-based runner won the 100m under-20 final at the Athletics Australia Championships in Sydney, with a blistering time of 10.52 seconds.

After breaking the under-16 national 100m record in 2014, Shelley walked away from a rugby league contract with the Eels to focus on running.

1490684498413.jpg

"It was big decision to pick one or the other but with where I was at with my running career, having just broken the national record, it kind of chose itself," Shelley said.

"It was a big call, you think about athletics and it's hard to make a career out of it, but if you stick with it and have the motivation then anything is possible and that's what i believe will happen."

The victory on Tuesday marked a triumphant return to the track for Shelley who admitted he struggled to stay motivated after injuries plagued his development.

"I was getting injured way too much, I think I was too fast, too young and pushing too hard which my body paid a toll on, but now we know how hard and how often I can train," Shelley said.

"I will admit I did fall off a bit and slacked off for a year or two and someone actually said to me yesterday [Monday] 'we thought you fell off the map'.

"It took me a while to get back but my team, and seeing everyone run really fast, motivated me to come back and this win really stamped my mark that I'm back

"I got out of the blocks well and 10m from the line my legs were giving way but I had the willpower to hold on.

"I think I'm finally starting to knock on the door of being competitive in the men's so the future is looking bright."

Shelley is gunning for Australian honours this season before a Commonwealth Games berth next year and ultimately becoming an Olympian at Tokyo 2020.

"I'd like to make the world relay team in April and then the Commonwealth Games relay team next year, but the big goal is to make the Olympics in three years," Shelley said.

"If I trust the process and trust my coach I think that's all achieveable."

Shelley will race in the men's 100m heats on Friday and later in the season is considering training in Hungary with his coach Suzie Fulop, before competing on the European circuit.

"My coach would love me to Hungary because she's from there and the training is very disciplined with long and hard sessions in the cold," Shelley said.

"That's definitely on the cards and it would be good a good reality check for my athletics, I think it would be wonderful to train over there."

ACT teenager Edward Osei-Nketia continued his red-hot form after saluting in the 100m under-18 final on Monday in 10.56 seconds.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...ic-dream-over-nrl-career-20170328-gv8arv.html

Forty20

First Grade
I understand that the whole getting to go to the Olympics gig might considerably trump a career in rugby league on a personal level but 10.52 ain't winning you shit. In fact, 10.52 didn't win you shit unless you go all the way back to Antwerp 1920 (10.8 Gold) or maybe Melbourne 1956 (10.5 Gold).

Best of luck to him though. We are all about Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens now.

Gronk

Staff member
yeah but the next olympics are 3 years away .... he'll be running 10.42 by then

In 1968, American sprinter Jim Hines broke the 10-second barrier, running the 100 metres in 9.95sec. Since then 81 men have run the distance in less than 10 seconds. Of them,Christophe Lemaitre is the only white man. He first ran 9.92sec in July 2010.

Am I right that Connor Broadhurst was in the mix for the Lemaitre record ? I could be wrong but.

Forty20

First Grade
Josh Curran is the only Rooster to be selected in the U18s. Only a handful of Panthers across both squads as well.

Bradman Best from the Knights will soon learn he is living in Steve Smith's world.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Josh Curran is the only Rooster to be selected in the U18s. Only a handful of Panthers across both squads as well.

Bradman Best from the Knights will soon learn he is living in Steve Smith's world.
We have a second rower who name not picked but I read big things expected? Is he of NZ heritage?
Also dressler I guess is a QLD?

Forty20

First Grade
We have a second rower who name not picked but I read big things expected? Is he of NZ heritage?
Also dressler I guess is a QLD?

Dresler is a Blue, just over the age of 18.

Second rower eh? I'll throw a few names at you and see if it jogs the memory.

Filia is named in the U18s. He is a tough as nails EDGE prospect.

Matt Doorey is someone that really kicked on last year. Currently starting in SG Ball with another year of eligibility. Likely missed on selection due to age and the sheer number of Eels already picked.

Charbel Tasipale is a very skillful and athletic EDGE prospect. Splits time between bench and starting for us. Will return to Ball next year like Doorey.

P.J. Vaigalu is the only other SG Ball backrower that comes to mind. Crazy powerful kid but he shredded his knee st training in the preaseason.

Sam Hughes is a gun EDGE player pulling double duty at prop this year but he is named in the U16s.

Trey Mooney is the other standout EDGE player in the Harold Matthews but he has missed most of the season due to injury.